Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Best character in the Dark Elf Trilogy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

thomas b.
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  09:05:42  Show Profile  Visit thomas b.'s Homepage Send thomas b. a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Who is the best character in The Dark Tlf Trilogy?

Choices:

drizzt
jarlaxle
zaknafien
belwar
montolio
matron malice
dinin
vierna

(Anonymous Vote)

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  14:51:19  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one was easy.Jarlaxle all the way.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

thomas b.
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  17:08:21  Show Profile  Visit thomas b.'s Homepage Send thomas b. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes i totally agree.hes an awseome charactor.so unpreedictable he may have anything up his sleeve.i love that about him.

THOMAS BENJAMIN
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  05:11:55  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When was Jarlaxle even in the Dark Elf trilogy? And if you can point that out to me... c'mon... Zak's got him beat hands down.

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire
Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  05:21:06  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jarlaxle was NOT in the Dark Elf Trilogy*

And, I agree with Neo. Zak was awesome!!

*I, as always, reserve the right to be utterly, completely, and absolutely wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  12:21:44  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You forgot to include Clacker in the poll!
Go to Top of Page

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  17:40:55  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jarlaxle was in the trilogy from what I remember. He hired himself out to both House Do'Urden, and that other which escapes my memory at the moment.

Drow with eye-patch? That is Jarlaxle, right?
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  20:43:04  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bivrip!

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  12:34:29  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What/Who's Bivrip?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  18:01:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lucius

What/Who's Bivrip?

It was the command word to activate the magic of Belwar Dissengulp's enchanted prosthetics.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  20:40:46  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

What/Who's Bivrip?

It was the command word to activate the magic of Belwar Dissengulp's enchanted prosthetics.

Nothing like a reference to the minutiae to show the world the depth of your geekyness eh?

Be nice to your local neighborhood geek, because you may be working for him in 10 years.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  23:35:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

Nothing like a reference to the minutiae to show the world the depth of your geekyness eh?

What about being able to recognize and explain that reference, entirely from the top of your head?

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  17:38:16  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad thing is a knew exactly what Bivrip meant....

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  22:47:39  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite character would have to be Vierna.. she was awesome. It was a shame she turned into a crazed priestess in the legacy of the drow books (or should I say, book).

But Zak was a close second... he was a natural bad mutha and you know he could have whooped every other weapon master. Oh well, looks like all good drow (sans Jarlaxle) seem to go to quickly to the Spiderweb Pits.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Piergeiron
Acolyte

Sweden
11 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  13:37:43  Show Profile  Visit Piergeiron's Homepage Send Piergeiron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Double post due to mixup between the "reply" and "edit" icon :-/

Edited by - Piergeiron on 30 Jun 2005 07:28:20
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  17:16:40  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Zaknafein. Yeah, Jarlaxle is cool, but I have a weakness for really badass fighters.
Go to Top of Page

Piergeiron
Acolyte

Sweden
11 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  19:22:20  Show Profile  Visit Piergeiron's Homepage Send Piergeiron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Piergeiron

quote:

Jarlaxle was in the trilogy from what I remember. He hired himself out to both House Do'Urden, and that other which escapes my memory at the moment.

Drow with eye-patch? That is Jarlaxle, right?

House Hunett and had dealings with Matron Beanre. It's all there in Exile. Yes it's the same Jarlaxle with the shaven head, the eye-patch and the general swashbuckling demanour.

Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  22:06:11  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NOt hard one. Jarlaxle. I like Servant of The shar because of JArlaxle
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  20:07:41  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

What does it mean the VEDSICA?
IF someone said it here i didnt notice...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  02:35:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ode904

quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

What does it mean the VEDSICA?
IF someone said it here i didnt notice...

From the Rupert's reply earlier -

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What/Who's Bivrip?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  03:46:42  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Am I wrong to view the popularity of Jarlaxle, a villain or at least an antihero, with suspicion and distaste? Why might I not particularly like the character when some others do?

2. How accurate and honest are these results? How representative might they be of Salvatore readers in general? If they are honest and representative, why haven't there yet been Jarlaxle or Zaknafein novels?
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  04:01:52  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

1. Am I wrong to view the popularity of Jarlaxle, a villain or at least an antihero, with suspicion and distaste? Why might I not particularly like the character when some others do?

2. How accurate and honest are these results? How representative might they be of Salvatore readers in general? If they are honest and representative, why haven't there yet been Jarlaxle or Zaknafein novels?

Urm......

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  09:19:32  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

1. Not gonna go there today

2. 52 votes when I write this, so not particularly representative, although probably honest and accurate within those limits. And don't ask us, ask the TSR/WotC book department people.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  14:23:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Isn't this point because internet browsers are just a small segment of novel readers and internet users ones who come here a small percentage of that group? Thus, take results of any online poll with a grain of salt.
Go to Top of Page

Anthor The Unforgiver
Acolyte

Turkey
15 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  06:59:18  Show Profile  Visit Anthor The Unforgiver's Homepage Send Anthor The Unforgiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In spite of Zaknafein and Jarlaxle are cool guys, I voted for Dizzt because he is the coolest

The gods may forgive you,
BUT I WON`T

My name is Anthoriavalas, but people call me Anthor.
Go to Top of Page

magnakanus
Acolyte

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  18:08:12  Show Profile  Visit magnakanus's Homepage Send magnakanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jarlaxle tickles my affinity for unpredictable rogues. Perfect in all aspects.

All good things come to those who wait...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  22:23:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Jarlaxle because he's unpredictable, always keeps his head, and has got style. Bad guys with panache are the best.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  02:15:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I like Jarlaxle because he's unpredictable, always keeps his head, and has got style. Bad guys with panache are the best.

Echoes this.

Of course, he's not my favorite character in the 'Dark Elf' trilogy, but Wooly's point about "bad guys" having a certain charismatic style is certainly valid. 'Tis probably why Elaith is also so popular.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  03:20:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Wooly's point about "bad guys" having a certain charismatic style is certainly valid. 'Tis probably why Elaith is also so popular.

Elaith isn't bad. He's just misunderstood. But, villians do have a great deal of popularity with audiences of many mediums.
Go to Top of Page

Sariss Eldariss
Acolyte

Lesotho
11 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  21:30:49  Show Profile  Visit Sariss Eldariss's Homepage Send Sariss Eldariss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Wooly's point about "bad guys" having a certain charismatic style is certainly valid. 'Tis probably why Elaith is also so popular.

Elaith isn't bad. He's just misunderstood. But, villians do have a great deal of popularity with audiences of many mediums.

Misunderstood? Although he has calmed down a lot and has had a new tack in life, Eliath is bad. He may one day end up redeeming himself of all the lives he has taken and all the wrong that he has done or not, but he is bad (very likeable as a character but bad nonetheless)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  22:31:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sariss Eldariss

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Misunderstood? Although he has calmed down a lot and has had a new tack in life, Eliath is bad. He may one day end up redeeming himself of all the lives he has taken and all the wrong that he has done or not, but he is bad (very likeable as a character but bad nonetheless)

Friend SB was making a tongue-in-cheek post. He does that, from time to time.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000