Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Best character in the Dark Elf Trilogy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Sariss Eldariss
Acolyte

Lesotho
11 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  21:15:36  Show Profile  Visit Sariss Eldariss's Homepage Send Sariss Eldariss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whew! For a moment i feared that Mr. Black was taken in by eliaths oily elven charm.
By the way as for my favourite Dark Elf Trilogy Character it has to be Zaknafien. He wrecked an entire city of illithids because they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, he took control of his body after Zin - Carla was performed on him to save his son, he is by my humble estimations BAD @$$!

Light laughter
Sariss

By the By is Mr. Wooly Rupert the same giant rodent that is responsible for wrecking many a spacejammers dreams or not? if so I may have a bone to pick with him
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  21:52:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sariss Eldariss

Whew! For a moment i feared that Mr. Black was taken in by eliaths oily elven charm.
By the way as for my favourite Dark Elf Trilogy Character it has to be Zaknafien. He wrecked an entire city of illithids because they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, he took control of his body after Zin - Carla was performed on him to save his son, he is by my humble estimations BAD @$$!

Light laughter
Sariss

By the By is Mr. Wooly Rupert the same giant rodent that is responsible for wrecking many a spacejammers dreams or not? if so I may have a bone to pick with him

Only tinker gnomes need to fear me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sariss Eldariss
Acolyte

Lesotho
11 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  22:26:57  Show Profile  Visit Sariss Eldariss's Homepage Send Sariss Eldariss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is you!!!!! You wrecker of all thing tinkerly and inventive. Have at thee!!!
Go to Top of Page

Belwar Dissengulp
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  15:28:07  Show Profile  Visit Belwar Dissengulp's Homepage Send Belwar Dissengulp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magga Cammara dark elf

I am the one they call master of the shadows... I am the Crystal Shard!

Bivrip!
^(i think it means "enhance")

Magga Cammara...
^(By the stones)
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  17:34:48  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt is in my mind the embodiment of a cool character. He HAS feelings, the strength to stand up for himself, he is a master swirdsman and then there is still something about him that eludes my mind. Its like every time i read more about him, new details about his complex character emerges and new sides of him are enlightened and it is done while still keeping true to the original character. He is my all time favorit...

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  08:29:11  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked Zaknafien. I liked how he was a weapon's master in a very powerful house but that he had a conscience and his own ideas. A rarity for a male drow. Some of the training and teaching scenes with him and Drizzt were great.
Go to Top of Page

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  04:40:49  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah..if you havent figured it out Jarlaxle is in the series. He makes his allstar appearance in Exile. Him and his lovely mercenaries, Bregan D'aerthe, were manipulating both House Do'Urden and Hun'ett.

however I think it is pretty obvious who my favorite character is...

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  09:04:03  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomas b.

Who is the best character in The Dark Tlf Trilogy?

For me, the best character was Matron Malice. She started in a position of power and although she remained fairly strong and consistent fate (and/or Lolth) turned against her.

(If I'm honest, it's mostly because I've got a thing for dominant women but I am seeking professional help for that.)

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  22:00:13  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm partial to Roddy (I-can't-recall-his-last-name), the guy who hunted Drizzt once he surfaced. Anytime an author can truly make a reader despise a character, bravo.

Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2007 :  05:57:15  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

1. Am I wrong to view the popularity of Jarlaxle, a villain or at least an antihero, with suspicion and distaste? Why might I not particularly like the character when some others do?

2. How accurate and honest are these results? How representative might they be of Salvatore readers in general? If they are honest and representative, why haven't there yet been Jarlaxle or Zaknafein novels?

Jarlaxle and Artemis have a split series called the sell swords, but in the last book Artemis told Jarlaxle to get lost. So, now the main focus is on Jarlaxle. Any Jarlaxle is the best

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile
Go to Top of Page

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  05:10:24  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Roddy McGristle is the guy in Sojourn. Yeah he was a pretty miserable character who allied with Orcs and couldn't get over his damn dog. haha

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  16:20:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't like Roddy McGristle myself, but I thought what Bruenor does to Roddy's remaining dog was pretty damned cruel and uncalled for (and not at all humorous).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  18:26:28  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I don't have much taste for dog either. Too bony. Okay, okay, I know, it's not funny...

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  19:37:39  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Vierna, she is sweet and not at all cruel, at least before "the legacy"
SPOILER

she was turned crazy due to the hardships after the fall of House Do'Urden especially because she was a priestess of Lloth (as cleric she draws her power, perception of the world and mental stabilty mainly out of her faith and the power it gives her) abondoned or seperated by everything she held dear, she was eaten away by her pain; if Drizzt had been there to pick her up she would probably be living happily on the surface

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2007 :  19:56:29  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zaknafein, hes just...Zaknafein!
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  19:21:57  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zaknafein...what a warrior...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  22:08:46  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the unpredictabilty of Jarlaxle and the way that he always stays in control even when the situation is falling apart.

However, I have to say that Zak is the best. The way he was willing to sacrifice himself, well, we all know where Drizzt gets it. I would love to see a novel devoted to Zak - his origins and how he came to be such a BA fighter and still have a basically good heart despite the society he grew up in. (There's not one, is there?)

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Nimriel
Seeker

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  22:13:09  Show Profile  Visit Nimriel's Homepage Send Nimriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to follow the stream and say Jarlaxle
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  01:02:52  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
zaknafein... of course

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

zolansilverspear
Acolyte

Turkey
11 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  05:11:10  Show Profile  Visit zolansilverspear's Homepage Send zolansilverspear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zaknaferin...
And I have to say that I never liked Jarlaxle. He is too much a Joker, than a serious character.

Zolan "BeaR" Silverspear
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  09:28:33  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All these good memories of Matron Malice as the archetypical nasty and cunning drow matron.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  10:44:39  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zaknafein...
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  18:11:58  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zak first, Jarlaxle second, Vierna third.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Zathras
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  19:38:20  Show Profile  Visit Zathras's Homepage Send Zathras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite would be a toss up between Jarlaxle and Zaknafein if I had to limit it to just the trilogy.

But, if I were able to expand the scope to all of the novels about Menzoberanzen I would have to choose Pharaun. I was really bummed that they killed him, and even more bummed when they brought him back in the Empreyan Trilogy and then killed him again. That REALLY ticked me off.

Edited by - Zathras on 21 Sep 2010 19:39:31
Go to Top of Page

Ananta
Acolyte

Finland
22 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  20:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Ananta's Homepage Send Ananta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jarlaxle. I just love the dude. He's full of epic win.
Go to Top of Page

Eledar
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2010 :  06:31:49  Show Profile  Visit Eledar's Homepage Send Eledar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Zaknafein. He is utterly interesting.

But if there was an option to vote for Clacker, he would have had my vote

My legions are the ones you hear drumming...drumming in the deep...
Go to Top of Page

Hellblazer
Acolyte

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  02:24:23  Show Profile Send Hellblazer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jarlaxle, hands down :) I love his unpredictable moves and his skills to survive in a female-dominated drow city.

The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  22:57:06  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the original books Jarlaxle by a mile.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  00:03:13  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sigh* If I could have picked Zak/Jar together, I would have. But considering Zak's demise, and that Jarlaxle is still around, I'll just have to go with the shiny-headed rogue. I love Drizzt, don't get me wrong- but I'd LOVE to get the "official" story on how/why he is still alive after being sacrificed as a baby as the third living sone of Baenre!! Somehow, I get the feeling that his origin is an epic tale of itself....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2010 :  09:28:46  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
zak all the way for me.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000