Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 learning
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pure
Acolyte

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  10:10:56  Show Profile  Visit pure's Homepage Send pure a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
i know this has probably asked before but i need to know. i am fairly new to fr all i have read is the drizzt series but i want to have a list of novels which will give me a solid base of knoledge about the realms

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  11:43:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pure

i know this has probably asked before but i need to know. i am fairly new to fr all i have read is the drizzt series but i want to have a list of novels which will give me a solid base of knoledge about the realms

Welcome to Candlekeep Pure:

I'd ask first what your interest is within the Realms. Did you like the drizzt series because it focused on dark elves? Is there another geographic location that you enjoy? Another race you'd like to read about such as elves or dwarves? If I knew some of what you enjoy reading about within a novel, beyond a solid base of knowledge about the Realms which every tome provides to some degree, I'll have some suggestions for you.

SB
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  16:00:23  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/novels.htm gives you the entire list of FR novels. It has been my guide ever since I started reading FR.
Go to Top of Page

pure
Acolyte

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  07:48:41  Show Profile  Visit pure's Homepage Send pure a Private Message  Reply with Quote
first off sorry about the question.

when i look through the posts i see people with a vast knowledge of the realms. What i want is a list of the great novels that will start me on my path to enlightenment
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  09:58:11  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might wanna look for sourcebooks (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting) should start you off. Novels while they do sometimes give some lore.

Personally I haven't read any sourcebooks in my entire life but I used online references to get more knowledge of the realms. As for me though, I started off with the Sembia series (The Shattered Mask) to be exact and since then I've about 30 FR books.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  11:36:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's easy... Look at the list wwwwwww linked to. Take any books by Ed Greenwood, Elaine Cunningham, and the writing duo of Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak. Between that group of authors, you'll have a great base of knowledge about the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  15:12:34  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My personal recommendations would be...Ed, Jeff and Troy's 'Cormyr' trilogy, Paul Kemp's brilliant Erevis Cale trilogy, Elaine Cunningham's Evermeet and Song and Swords series, along with her Starlight and Shadows if you like Drow.
And if you REALLY like the drow, can't go wrong with War of the Spider Queen...which brings me to two newer and very good trilogies: The year of Rogue Dragons, and the Last Mythal
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  17:15:33  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out my Microsoft Word checklist, the last page has a quasi-reader's guideline.

http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/frchecklist.zip

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Sandhrune
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  18:56:40  Show Profile  Visit Sandhrune's Homepage Send Sandhrune a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the first FR book I read was Spellfire. After that I read the Avatar trilogy I think that those are good ones to start with.
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2005 :  02:22:23  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you become interested in a particular area, you can see my list of novel areas in my aptly named 'Novel Areas.'

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

Rudar Dimble
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2005 :  15:15:13  Show Profile  Visit Rudar Dimble's Homepage Send Rudar Dimble a Private Message  Reply with Quote
May be you should do some research on the FR first. Just to get a grip on th world. And I think Evermeet by Elaine Cunningham is a good starting point. It covers much of the FR history.

Jesus saves... and takes ½ damage
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  01:06:13  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rudar Dimble

May be you should do some research on the FR first. Just to get a grip on th world. And I think Evermeet by Elaine Cunningham is a good starting point. It covers much of the FR history.

Except very little of that History really has anything to do with 95% of the novels. :)

I wouldn't read Evermeet until AFTER you read the Songs & Swords series since the "current" events in Evermeet are directly related to that series.

Edited by - SirUrza on 02 May 2005 01:07:39
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2005 :  21:51:57  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you want to be up to date with the current Realms timeline, read the Avatar series and the Return of the Archwizards series, that should get you up to speed with present day Faerun. After that, you can't go wrong with any of Ed Greenwood's or Elaine Cnningham's books.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2005 :  22:47:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

If you want to be up to date with the current Realms timeline, read the Avatar series and the Return of the Archwizards series, that should get you up to speed with present day Faerun. After that, you can't go wrong with any of Ed Greenwood's or Elaine Cnningham's books.

I'd skip Return of the Archwizards, myself. I don't think that reading it would help a new person get a feel for the Realms; in fact, I think it would do the opposite, since so many of the iconic characters acted like absolute morons. That's just not a trilogy I can recommend to people.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  01:53:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I'd skip Return of the Archwizards, myself. I don't think that reading it would help a new person get a feel for the Realms; in fact, I think it would do the opposite, since so many of the iconic characters acted like absolute morons. That's just not a trilogy I can recommend to people.

I'm backing WR here. I don't see that tome helping a person new to the Realms. Moreover, I'm afraid it might scare some new readers off from reading additional Realms fiction.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  02:53:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm backing WR here. I don't see that tome helping a person new to the Realms. Moreover, I'm afraid it might scare some new readers off from reading additional Realms fiction.

I almost said the same thing.

Go to Top of Page

Toedoe
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  03:39:11  Show Profile Send Toedoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say start with The Avatar Trilogy first. May be even the Moonshae trilogy if ya can find it, then the Avatar trilogy. After that, read what ever catches your fancy.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  05:43:44  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd start with Azure Bonds as it's set before the ToT - making the impact of that whole event a bit more obvious (and in my opinion those books need all the help they can get to not get thrown across the room in disgust) - and is a better book than the Moonshaes trilogy.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  11:40:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I'd start with Azure Bonds as it's set before the ToT - making the impact of that whole event a bit more obvious (and in my opinion those books need all the help they can get to not get thrown across the room in disgust) - and is a better book than the Moonshaes trilogy.

I can agree with that. I love the Finders Stone trilogy, and I've never been impressed by the Moonshae trilogy...

Go to Top of Page

Toedoe
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  15:31:35  Show Profile Send Toedoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I agree, Moonshae trilogy isnt that good, and Azure Bonds is better. I mentioned it because it is also a pre-ToT trilogy and didn't think of Azure Bonds.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  19:00:15  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are 3 places I tell people to start (no particular order)...

The Crystal Shard
Elf Shadow
Spellfire

Since he read Crystal Shard, he's got 2 options IMHO. :)

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  20:38:06  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toedoe

I'd say start with The Avatar Trilogy first. May be even the Moonshae trilogy if ya can find it, then the Avatar trilogy. After that, read what ever catches your fancy.

Avatar was written before the non-Ed authors (other than Grubb and Novak) developed much of a feel for the Realms, needs the reader to already know the Realms before its upheavals can have much of an emotional hook, has characters acting as out of character (though subjective viewpoints account for some of this) as in Archwizards. Moonshae was not originally written for the Realms, doesn't feel like the Realms, doesn't work like the Realms.

I would suggest Spellfire (above all) and Cormyr: A Novel next, then Elfshadow, Azure Bonds, Elminster's Daughter or The Halls of Stormweather.

Edited by - Faraer on 04 May 2005 20:39:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000