Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 About the Novels and Realm Changing Events
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ebilvampyre
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  15:11:08  Show Profile  Visit Ebilvampyre's Homepage Send Ebilvampyre a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking to get into reading the FR books, but I have a small question first, and if someone could help me out, I'd be greatful! I understand that there is no specific order to the novels, other than the order of each book in a trilogy or such. I also understand that there are several series' that contain events descibed as "Realm-Changing" (the Avatar series, netheril trilogy, cormyr saga, threat from the sea, return of the archwizards, year of rogue dragons, and the last mythal). I'm sure most anyone reading this has some experience with the novels, and so I ask you this : Is it better to read the all of the "Realm Changing" series' first, before all of the other in between books, or to read them in order. If I should read them in order, at what point in reading the other books do I want to read the "Realm Changing" series' to avoid my reading books AFTER a realm changing event and being completely in the dark about certain circumstances. I guess also, I should ask, are the events in those realm changing series' important and 'earth-shattering' such that it would make a huge difference in my reading experience should I read a book occurring after one such event? (i.e., does it make a huge difference in the story line if I miss one of those events? would it be at least moderately explained in books occurring after it?)

I know this is a somewhat complex question, but I'd really REALLY appreciate some help!

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  15:26:16  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met Ebilvampyre, and welcome to Candlekeep

I certainly wouldn't recommend reading all the RSE (Realms-Shaking\Shattering Events) books first. This would only cause confusion when reading other books which take place prior to an RSE. I'd suggest taking a look around this novel area of Candlekeep for recommendations of what to read. It all depends on the type of tale ye prefer too

Also, take a look at the novel timeline, which should be of great use to ye.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  16:08:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ebilvampyre
I know this is a somewhat complex question, but I'd really REALLY appreciate some help!

Ebilvampyre,

First off, welcome to Candlekeep.

I want to bring up three points regarding your query:

1. Every scribe will have a different opinion on whether or not a certain novel or series is a realms changing tome. For example, this is the first time I can recall seeing "Threat from the sea" listed as realms changing.

2. If you wait to read all the realms changing books you mentioned, than you are going to be waiting over a year until you read any other novels. Some of the series you listed are not even completed yet and will not be until next year.

3. My advice would be to find a specific region, theme, or race that you are interested in. For example, if you enjoyed elves or half-elves, I'd recommend Elaine Cunningham's novels. Once you figure out what you are interested in within the Realms, you can ask if there are any specific books you should read first before others devoted to the same theme.

But, that's just what I'd do. Regardless, if you have any other questions, go ahead and ask.

Oh, and just so you know, I've not read all the realms changing series you mentioned. This omission has not harmed my enjoyment of other FR books in any way, shape, or form.

SB
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  16:27:57  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am kind of surprised that The Netheril Trilogy is listed as "Realms Changing".Threat from the Sea doesn't appear to be an RSE,but it did change the realm of the seas....Anyways as I am wont to do.I always recommend to begin with the Avatar Series.It gives you a look into the deities of Faerun.How the pantheon is run.It gives you some major characters,the ultimate villian,some great battles,and many many debatable issues that you can have the pleasure to do right here at Candlekeep...Oh,and Welcome to Candlekeep,and Well Met!!!!!!

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  16:34:14  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/frchecklist.zip

Check out the reading guide at the end of my check list. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  17:44:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always been a bit haphazard on the reading order of Realms novels, myself...

What I'd recommend is reading books that establish the setting first -- then read the ones that change it. It would provide a better appreciation of the RSEs, then.

I'd certainly suggest reading the Avatar Trilogy early on, as it's arguably the biggest RSE to be written about -- it's certainly one of the only ones to affect the Realms as a whole.

I'd also recommend the various books by Ed Greenwood, Elaine Cunningham, and the writing duo of Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb. Also, the various anthologies could be a good place to start -- that way, you'd be getting small, manageable chunks.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  18:18:55  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've always been a bit haphazard on the reading order of Realms novels, myself...

What I'd recommend is reading books that establish the setting first -- then read the ones that change it. It would provide a better appreciation of the RSEs, then.

I'd certainly suggest reading the Avatar Trilogy early on, as it's arguably the biggest RSE to be written about -- it's certainly one of the only ones to affect the Realms as a whole.

I'd also recommend the various books by Ed Greenwood, Elaine Cunningham, and the writing duo of Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb. Also, the various anthologies could be a good place to start -- that way, you'd be getting small, manageable chunks.

Well met

The furry one speaks wisely. Although my concern mentioned above does refer in particular to The Avatar Series. Reading novels out of order can cause confusion (especially where deities are concerned) if thou art not aware of the events which take place in this series. Oh 'tis no easy task to read tomes of the Realms in a valid order. Take heed.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  19:19:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm looking to get into reading the FR books, but I have a small question first, and if someone could help me out, I'd be greatful! I understand that there is no specific order to the novels, other than the order of each book in a trilogy or such.

Well met, EV.

First off, my recommendation would be to read all of MY work first, but since it hasn't come out yet, that would be problematic. So just sit tight for the Realms of the Dragons II anthology...

Just kidding, of course. Though not about the RotDII -- my fellow authors in that anthology definitely seem to know their stuff.

In non-facetious answer to your question, I'll give you MY suggested reading order, based on how I really read it all:

Start with the Moonshae trilogy and the Icewind Dale trilogy, to give yourself a strong sense of what the Realms is really all about. Then proceed to Songs and Swords by Elaine, read some of the Harpers while you're at it, the Cleric Quintet by RAS, and everything you wish of the earlier TSR period, then the Avatar and the Shadow of the Avatar trilogies. Then Legacy and the Paths of Darkness books, and you're in the "middle" period. Read the Cities, Daughter of the Drow and trilogy, the Nobles, whatever else you like, and when you're ready to make the next leap, to the modern period, Sembia, the Return of the Archwizards trilogy, and the War of the Spider Queen, which are somewhat concurrent. Then Erevis Cale and the Last Mythal trilogies, with any of the other more modern stuff whenever you fancy.

The Elminster's origins series can be read pretty much anywhere you like in that order, and I've found the Threat from the Sea belongs anywhere in the middle-to-late period.

Hope that helps. I know, I gave you a list of about 40-50 books to read, but the FR saga is not a small beast to tackle.

Cheers and good luck

P.S. Then Ghostwalker in December.

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ebilvampyre
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  21:11:51  Show Profile  Visit Ebilvampyre's Homepage Send Ebilvampyre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all!!! Sir Erik, you have given me just what I was searching for...I ask but one more thing: you reference books as "anything else from that era I'd like to read". I guess my best source for finding other books from the same era would be the timeline? Just out of curiosity :)
Go to Top of Page

Rudar Dimble
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2005 :  15:22:00  Show Profile  Visit Rudar Dimble's Homepage Send Rudar Dimble a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you all!!! Sir Erik, you have given me just what I was searching for...I ask but one more thing: you reference books as "anything else from that era I'd like to read". I guess my best source for finding other books from the same era would be the timeline? Just out of curiosity :)

Yes. But certainly you don't have to read the books in the correct order. Just make sure that, when you start reading a novel, you know about what era you're reading

Jesus saves... and takes ½ damage
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2005 :  22:03:18  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Erik's order for reading the novels; however, if you are in a hurry to know the current state of affairs, read the Avatar Series and Return of the Archwizards first.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2005 :  22:50:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

I agree with Erik's order for reading the novels; however, if you are in a hurry to know the current state of affairs, read the Avatar Series and Return of the Archwizards first.

I'd skip Return of the Archwizards, myself. I don't think that reading it would help a new person get a feel for the Realms; in fact, I think it would do the opposite, since so many of the iconic characters acted like absolute morons. That's just not a trilogy I can recommend to people.

And as far as RSEs are concerned, this is one that can be summed up most adequately with a single paragraph or so -- no need to be tormented by those novels.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 May 2005 22:52:39
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  00:47:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry not to get back to you sooner! I must not have seen your post.

Indeed, if you can find a suitable timeline, it would be of excellent aid to you. The Realms-Shaking Events make fairly good chapter markings, but so too do publication dates (the cheap and easy way to do it ). WotC, and TSR before it, has tended to put out books in a chronological flow, with occasional flashbacks (several thousand years, mayhap) which can be read at any time. Even now, time in the Realms flows roughly parallel to real time (though I think the ratio is 2 of our years to 1 of theirs). Ghostwalker, when it comes out later this year (and its dominant month will be the transition to next year), will be set at the end of winter, 1374.

I'd also recommend that FOR SURE you do the Dark Elf trilogy before jumping into War of the Spider Queen. Not strictly necessary, but it'll make it all make a lot more sense.

Hope any of that helps.

And it's just Erik. I'm far too irrascible to make a proper knight. Though I do like the sound of "Lord de Bie" . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  02:49:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

Sorry not to get back to you sooner! I must not have seen your post.

Indeed, if you can find a suitable timeline, it would be of excellent aid to you.

Well... It's a bit out of date (it's old, and only goes to 1371), but there is such a timeline on the Wizards homepage... Presenting . . . Seven Millennia of Realms Fiction

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  09:54:00  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How come noone has mentioned Spellfire? Its the essential FR book, nothing else comes close

As for the RSE books, well, stick to the good ones. I have not read the Spider Queen books (and probably wont), the best of the others are Year of Rogue Dragons without any doubt.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  13:31:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord
As for the RSE books, well, stick to the good ones. I have not read the Spider Queen books (and probably wont),

Why won't you read the WOTSQ series?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  22:20:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How come noone has mentioned Spellfire? Its the essential FR book, nothing else comes close

I myself enjoyed Spellfire (though without previous grounding in the Realms, it may go over one's head -- there's a lot going on, with a lot of folks), but I've talked to plenty of people who couldn't get into it. I recommend any of Ed's stuff -- he is, not to exaggerate (much), the Realms, and no one knows it better than he does. (And how can they? ) Just ask my lady THO.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  08:47:35  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

[quote]Why won't you read the WOTSQ series?

Should I? If you say say so, I might reconsider.

The problem is that it is many books, and I have so little time. The drow and the Underdark don't interest me that much, except for the House Jaerle drow of Cormanthor. Some of the WOTSQ books have risen to become a few of my favorites (Byers, Baker), others I have not read, so the series is very tempting, but I seriously doubt it'll ever make it to the top of my list of books I must read.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  14:45:38  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Should I? If you say say so, I might reconsider.

It was a question, not an appeal.

quote:

The problem is that it is many books, and I have so little time. The drow and the Underdark don't interest me that much, except for the House Jaerle drow of Cormanthor.

If you've read Baker's entry for the series, then you have read all the series contains when it comes to House Jaerle dark elves. Perhaps they will be within Richard Baker's next novel for The Last Mythal series.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  17:28:56  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spellfire? Realms changes event? No.
War of the Spider Queen? Underdark only.

I wouldn't read Realms Changing Events first. They and others have way too many backstory or relating stories. For example, Avatar series, although important, has 5 other relating novels to it. 3 novels that take place DURING it, and 2 novels that take place after it.

As a new reader, I'll recommend downloading my Checklist and scrolling down to the last page, it has some reader tips for you. :)

http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/frchecklist.zip

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  21:07:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Spellfire? Realms changes event? No.
War of the Spider Queen? Underdark only.

You're right, of course, about Spellfire. It's not a RSE; rather, it's useful for getting a feel of the Realms, which is key for a Realms young'in.

WotSQ, on the other hand, has implications that stretch (like webs -- heehee) out of the underdark and onto the surface -- even across worlds. It definitely qualifies as a RSE, but not necessarily a Realms-CHANGING event -- it doesn't seem to radically alter the realms in a way that you'd need to see before reading anything else in the modern era of FR.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  21:22:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

WotSQ, on the other hand, has implications that stretch (like webs -- heehee) out of the underdark and onto the surface -- even across worlds. It definitely qualifies as a RSE, but not necessarily a Realms-CHANGING event -- it doesn't seem to radically alter the realms in a way that you'd need to see before reading anything else in the modern era of FR.

Cheers

Well it certaianly shock up the Clerics of Lolth, so far though there appears to be not precievable changing event.
Not sure why you see stands reaching to the surface. Perhaps you might say why you do.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000