Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 No really . . . I need stats for a duck . . .
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  14:11:52  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, you know now that I come to think of it I think I will add a duck to my next Oriental Adventure mmmmmmmm! What a delicious bit of XP!

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

Antareana
Seeker

Germany
59 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  16:14:38  Show Profile  Visit Antareana's Homepage Send Antareana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if the dire duck is not enough for you, then maybe you could scare your friend with a Behemoth Duck. I imagine that picture of the giant Frog in one of those MMs
or a Legendary duck which is still tiny but can get really nasty ^^

It is all just a past and future secret

Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  16:41:02  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A dire goose, now that would be frightening!

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  11:44:24  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hm, now I am seriously wondering about this.

Are there animal lords in the Realms? I know the Cat Lord was listed as a Oerth Epic Level character.

I would assume that the Duck Lord would actually be covered under a Bird Lord . . .

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Animal Lords and the Realms?

In Planescape the Animal Lords were visitors to any of the Material Planes...
I see no reason why they couldn't visit the Realms, especially with the abundance of nature gods in the Realms.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  01:59:16  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was scrummaging around the dusty old shelves and found this crumbly old scroll. LMAO. "You can't milk a duck." Hilarious.

On a related note, I was once attacked by a flock of rabid ducks. Vicious little buggers. Them beaks pinched like a pair of pliers and being buffeted by their wings left bruises. True story.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 20 Jul 2012 02:33:38
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  03:48:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you got hurt, you should have sent them the bill.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  21:50:34  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AD&D2 had at least swans and ravens in MC. Oh, and Mystara in its MC had magpies, both common and giant variety.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Oh, come on! No one's made jokes about the fiendish duck, the half-dragon half-duck, the shadow duck, the planar duck, or the Giant Space Duck of Ill Omen...
Ah... here goes my idea of a Fire-breathing Phase Doppleganger Giant Space Duck.
quote:

Are there animal lords in the Realms? I know the Cat Lord was listed as a Oerth Epic Level character.
In Planescape, the Animal Lords (as in, Seyhrain) in general are out on the Beastlands and Cat Lord (as in, the lass who was usurping portfolio of Bast just to see if she can, weakening the latter and eventually forcing to turn into Sharess) in particular is on Brux - and they must remain there to hold their status as such. Occasional totem worship on Ao's territory is linked to proper gods (like Malar or Uthgar), so it looks like they weren't given a free pass, unlike (apparently) Elemental Lords.
quote:

I would assume that the Duck Lord would actually be covered under a Bird Lord...
Well, they have Hawk Lord, Owl Lord, Vulture Lord and Swan Lord, so why not someone for other fowl, though they may be in Swan Lord's jurisdiction.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  22:19:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

AD&D2 had at least swans and ravens in MC. Oh, and Mystara in its MC had magpies, both common and giant variety.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Oh, come on! No one's made jokes about the fiendish duck, the half-dragon half-duck, the shadow duck, the planar duck, or the Giant Space Duck of Ill Omen...
Ah... here goes my idea of a Fire-breathing Phase Doppleganger Giant Space Duck.

I salute you for that reference!

quote:

quote:

In Planescape, the Animal Lords (as in, Seyhrain) in general are out on the Beastlands and Cat Lord (as in, the lass who was usurping portfolio of Bast just to see if she can, weakening the latter and eventually forcing to turn into Sharess) in particular is on Brux - and they must remain there to hold their status as such. Occasional totem worship on Ao's territory is linked to proper gods (like Malar or Uthgar), so it looks like they weren't given a free pass, unlike (apparently) Elemental Lords.

Well, as mentioned before, there was a Cat Lord in the AD&D comic -- but now, we know that the comics are canon. Pretty sure there was a statement from a designer to that regard, and we've had much from the comics appear in sourcebooks and other source material -- monsters, NPCs, events, etc.

quote:

quote:

I would assume that the Duck Lord would actually be covered under a Bird Lord...
Well, they have Hawk Lord, Owl Lord, Vulture Lord and Swan Lord, so why not someone for other fowl, though they may be in Swan Lord's jurisdiction.

A Fowl Lord!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  00:33:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lord Fowl... the Despiser?

I just assumed Baast was the lord of domestic cats, whereas Nobanion would be the lord of feral ones.

And then there is the Black Leopard in the east, and some jaguar-goddess (or some-such) down in zakhara, IIRC. Kiga, I think? Don't feel like looking it up...

Anyhow, I think certain beast/animal lords would be a bit redundant in the Realms. Given the number of sentient creatures that are animal-like (in appearance), with their own deities, that would be a bit much. Although those gods could just be the beastlords operating under aliases in the Realms.

Leucrotta had their own pantheon as well. And then there is Monkey.... he actually makes an appearance in Once around the Realms (with Volo).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  03:57:51  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<Dire duck?>

<A demon duck.>

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 21 Jul 2012 08:24:57
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  05:30:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Anyhow, I think certain beast/animal lords would be a bit redundant in the Realms. Given the number of sentient creatures that are animal-like (in appearance), with their own deities, that would be a bit much. Although those gods could just be the beastlords operating under aliases in the Realms.

I'd not have a Beast Lord for every animal, myself, at least not in the Realms... I'd only have them for animals that are "closest" to humans. And I don't mean closest as in walking upright and being smart, or being genetically similar, I mean those animals that humanity interacts with in more than just a predator/prey relationship. Rothé? No, they're just food. Cats, dogs? Yes, those are companions. Horses? They epitomize speed and strength, so they get a Beast Lord. Wolves? We fear them and/or admire them as social hunters. Beast Lord. Falcons? Beast Lord -- they represent freedom and ferocity. Vultures? No, they're just carrion eaters. And so on.

Further, I'd use those Beast Lords as something less than a deity, but more than mortal. Maybe they are the Chosen of Lurue, Nobanion, Malar, and other appropriate deities. Maybe they are (as much as I hate to use a 4E concept) exarchs.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  06:24:03  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shrew-Lord? Hamster-Lord? Mole-Lord?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  06:51:31  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, if you got hurt, you should have sent them the bill.

They won't pay. Bunch of tight-asses.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  13:43:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its the Chaos Duck of Glorantha I am truly afraid of.

I do so miss old-school Runequest.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  15:57:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Its the Chaos Duck of Glorantha I am truly afraid of.

I do so miss old-school Runequest.

Truly, the most interesting ducks are the tauric mallards, sailors of the great pond (or the inner sea as others call it). However, their sailor's fowl mouth has earned them a less than stellar reputation.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000