Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Manshoon's Signature Attack Spells (pre-4E)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  07:58:50  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In 2E's Villains Lorebook, the following are listed as Manshoon's spells:

1st:#151; burning hands, charm person, magic missile, shocking grasp, unseen servant;
2nd:#151; blindness, darkness 15#146; radius, ESP, ray of enfeeblement, stinking cloud;
3rd:#151; clairaudience, dispel magic, hold person, lightning bolt, suggestion;
4th#151;: charm monster, confusion, dimension door, emotion, fire shield, improved invisibility, magic mirror, stoneskin, polymorph other, wall of fire;
5th:#151; advanced illusion, chaos, cloudkill, cone of cold, conjure elemental, feeblemind, magic jar, passwall, shadow magic, teleport;
6th#151;: disintegrate, project image, true seeing;
7th#151;: finger of death, teleport without error, vanish;
8th#151;: polymorph any object, symbol, trap the soul;
9th#151;: imprisonment, stasis clone*.

It also notes the following: "... targets of his charm monster, charm person, friends, hold monster, hold person, suggestion, or polymorph other spells suffer a -20% penalty to their Magic Resistance (if any) and a -4 penalty to saving throws...." (I seem to vaguely recall from my 1E days that this might be an ability granted by a robe of the archmagi, which Manshoon is noted as wearing, but I could be wrong.)

So my question is: what do you think are Manshoon's signature attack spells? Are they on this list? (The write-up in the Epic Level Handbook offers no further insights as it even omits a spell list.)

(Please note the emphasis on the word attack: it's clear that stasis clone is his true signature spell.)

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.

Edited by - Derulbaskul on 29 Jun 2012 08:02:11

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7989 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  09:23:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Manshoon's inflicts target-penalty maluses from the robe of the archmagi he wears, it's usually assumed he has a staff of the archmagi nearby. He also has his unique throatguard thing which grants a number of spells or spell-like abilities.

It's pretty much assumed Manshoon has access to almost any spell he likes that's listed in the PHB, and I interpret the spells listed as being supposedly "representative" of his capabilities. I imagine his spell list (and which gear he uses) will depend entirely on what he plans to do each day.

Charming, manipulating, and dominating his many incompetent pawns, dupes, and underlings? Scrying and teleporting around to inspect and enforce efficiency on his numerous scheming operations? Another full-out invocation/necromancy suicide-run against Shadowdale? So - basically - what Manshoon's got available to cast pretty much depends on exactly what he's doing when the PCs encounter him.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  10:11:13  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you've got it right, Ayrik. He has a very utilitarian approach based on his needs at the time. Thanks for replying.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  04:38:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Manshoon has spells which rival the collection of Khelben...

I don't think he has "signature" spells because such would be predictable.

A powerful wizard shouldn't be predicted by anyone.

And aside from spells...Manshoon has more magical items than anyone; though spread around a bit to say the least.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000