Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 No really . . . I need stats for a duck . . .
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  18:38:51  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Its a long story . . . a player in one of my games has a duck in real life. His elf battlemage wants to find a duck and train it.

Does anyone know if any source (WOTC or d20) has stats either for a standard duck or even a dire duck.

Asking this questions really puts me in a fowl mood.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  19:02:26  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Its a long story . . . a player in one of my games has a duck in real life. His elf battlemage wants to find a duck and train it.

Does anyone know if any source (WOTC or d20) has stats either for a standard duck or even a dire duck.

Asking this questions really puts me in a fowl mood.

Fan based I find this
"Refresher course on Animals: [BAB: as cleric, skills: 10-15, feats: -, good saves: Fort and/or Reflex]"

However the animals were often too small.

A continued search has not offered a d20 source, there may be one out there someplace.

Anyway off hand I would stat a Duck at CR 1/16 1/4 HP Attack beak BAB 1 Danage 1d4-3 Full attack beak and wings BAB 1 Damage 1d4-3, distraction ( The wings flaping results in circumstane penalty of attacks/saves and damage).

A Dire Duck perhaps multiply by 4 *shrugs*

I still want an official ruling on how much a D&D chicken weighes, I would not expect many to worry about ducks.

Edited by - Kentinal on 25 Apr 2005 19:05:02
Go to Top of Page

Yggdrasil
Acolyte

Thailand
12 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  07:56:28  Show Profile  Visit Yggdrasil's Homepage Send Yggdrasil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.
-Mae West
Go to Top of Page

Rudar Dimble
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  08:35:28  Show Profile  Visit Rudar Dimble's Homepage Send Rudar Dimble a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems you already got a fairly good answer on the WotC-boards...

Jesus saves... and takes ½ damage
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  10:37:27  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dire Duck
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  11:35:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Dire Duck

...At least he's not looking for the stats for the fearsome and dreaded wereduck!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  11:37:46  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Dire Duck

...At least he's not looking for the stats for the fearsome and dreaded wereduck!

Or the little known vampiric duck of Everlund.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  15:00:23  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

quote:

quote:

Dire Duck

Grr, no jokes left for me

Of course, if they'd been using the Swedish RPG Drakar & Demoner (funny 'bout the abbrevation, eh?), he could have played a duck.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  17:46:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dire Duck

Of course, if they'd been using the Swedish RPG Drakar & Demoner (funny 'bout the abbrevation, eh?), he could have played a duck.

Oh, come on! No one's made jokes about the fiendish duck, the half-dragon half-duck, the shadow duck, the planar duck, or the Giant Space Duck of Ill Omen...

But maybe we should stop "quacking" jokes before Big Al comes in weilding his staff...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Apr 2005 17:48:20
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  22:24:58  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Or if they'd been playing in Glorantha, for instance with HeroQuest or RuneQuest, which had anthropomorphic ducks (which I once wrote up for 3E but lost what I wrote) inspired by the works of Carl Barks before there was a D&D.

Edited by - Faraer on 26 Apr 2005 22:25:35
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  22:47:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

quote:
Or if they'd been playing in Glorantha, for instance with HeroQuest or RuneQuest, which had anthropomorphic ducks (which I once wrote up for 3E but lost what I wrote) inspired by the works of Carl Barks before there was a D&D.

I remember seeing the ads for those in Dragon, years back... Usually the caption was something like "Have you seen this duck?"

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  23:27:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rudar Dimble

It seems you already got a fairly good answer on the WotC-boards...

So perhaps you will share it over here?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  23:36:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dire Duck

Oh, come on! No one's made jokes about the fiendish duck, the half-dragon half-duck, the shadow duck, the planar duck, or the Giant Space Duck of Ill Omen...

But maybe we should stop "quacking" jokes before Big Al comes in weilding his staff...

Surprised no one mentioned Count Duckula..... or maybe that cartoon was only on where I live. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  00:44:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dire Duck

Surprised no one mentioned Count Duckula..... or maybe that cartoon was only on where I live. :)

I thought of that, Darkwing Duck, and Duck Tales... But of the three, I only watched DT, and I couldn't think of any jokes to make from that one.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  01:16:19  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That was what I was getting at. Why I pulled out Everlund as his Faerûnian abode is anybody's guess.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  02:39:21  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, there's also Duckman and Howard the duck!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  03:28:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Of course, there's also Duckman and Howard the duck!

Also Daffy Duck, Donald Duck, the tune "Disco Duck"...

Man, we're really milking this one, aren't we?

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  03:34:43  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think you can milk a duck, Wooly.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  04:21:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Always a favorite of mine. It inspired many humorous RL adventures...

Imagine Count Strahd as Count Duckula... .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  12:33:58  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

If there was one scroll that would go astray, I knew it to be this one

Everyone finished with ducks? good! Now, back to some Realmslore....

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  14:19:58  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It occurs to me that there were stats printed in an issue of Dragon for Howard the Duck for the Marvel RPG. Shouldn't be to hard to convert to D&D, don't you think?

Closer to topic, Big A?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  17:33:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

There's ducks in the Realms, I'm sure of it!

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  17:45:41  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

There's ducks in the Realms, I'm sure of it!

Leave it to Wooly to dodge Big Al's staff again, he must have ducked at just the right time.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  22:53:06  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

Leave it to Wooly to dodge Big Al's staff again, he must have ducked at just the right time.

I'll have that hamster on the end of my staff before long. Mark my words!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  22:58:35  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does it occur to anyone that a giant space hampster is discussing the validity of duck discussions withing Candlekeep?

Then again, I am the author of this fowl topic . . .

Yes I did get a good reply back at the WOTC forums (one of the few times I have EVER gotten a better reply from there then here), though I appreciate your . . . ahem . . . input.

Although I would still be interested in a dire duck.

And I also wonder if there is a Duck Lord.

(What is the disposition of the animal lords in the Realms anyway?)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  23:23:34  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm, now I am seriously wondering about this.

Are there animal lords in the Realms? I know the Cat Lord was listed as a Oerth Epic Level character.

I would assume that the Duck Lord would actually be covered under a Bird Lord . . .

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Animal Lords and the Realms?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  00:13:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does it occur to anyone that a giant space hampster is discussing the validity of duck discussions withing Candlekeep?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  00:17:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hm, now I am seriously wondering about this.

Are there animal lords in the Realms? I know the Cat Lord was listed as a Oerth Epic Level character.

I would assume that the Duck Lord would actually be covered under a Bird Lord . . .

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Animal Lords and the Realms?

The Cat Lord also put in an appearance in the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons comic book. He was in the "Spell Games" story arc, which I believe was issues 13-16.

However, I cannot at the moment recall any other mentions of Animal Lords in the Realms.

And before anyone asks, the issue of whether or not the comics are canon has never been addressed by TPTB. However, events and characters from the comics have been in fiction and in various sourcebooks, and the characters were statted out in Dragon. That certainly qualifies as canon to me.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  00:23:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vaguely remember that. I never kept up with the AD&D comic, though I followed the Forgotten Realms comic more regularly. I liked the cast better at any rate. You just can't beat a talking golem, a gold elf cleric that offends everyone, an alchoholic paladin, a crotchety old wizard, a halfling, and a displaced ninja.

Well, you could beat it if the party had a duck . . .
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  00:23:58  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And I also wonder if there is a Duck Lord.
If there wasn't it would be a crime.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  01:00:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The animal lords also appear in Planescape, in the Beastlands if I recall right.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000