Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 D and D - A Security Risk
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  12:16:43  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Delete Topic
Hi everybody - a while since I've been on but I thought you might be interested in this link:

http://www.techworld.com/security/news/index.cfm?NewsID=3306

You've gotta read it to believe it!

Edited by - kahonen on 15 Mar 2005 13:46:53

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  14:08:43  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
I swear, when they were giving out countries, they should have reserved some space for me.

Edited by - SirUrza on 15 Mar 2005 14:09:22
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  16:16:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kahonen

Hi everybody - a while since I've been on but I thought you might be interested in this link:

http://www.techworld.com/security/news/index.cfm?NewsID=3306

You've gotta read it to believe it!

Well, that's ...interesting. Having served in a position that required a high level security clearance for the United States Government, I never had a problem finding roleplayers or heard of anything like this.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  19:28:52  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Oh, dang it, and that was my dream job too!

I guess they're afraid people will roll dice to make decisions in real life or something.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  23:08:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I saw this on the HMP forums... It irks me that once more, D&D players are looked down on.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  00:17:15  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message
Well we probably have lots of guys in the US military here, and there are more on the WOTC boards. Seems to calm down the guys in Iraq who are in a high stress place and need some down time.

Sounds like a good way to dodge the draft over there-

'Yes thank you for drafting me, you now have the services of a 20th level elf, may I continue to wear my regulation starfleet uniform, you know I am a commodore, etc... etc..."

and everytime you were in combat you could scream

"I smite thee"

or the ever popular

"Excelsior"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  00:47:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

Well we probably have lots of guys in the US military here, and there are more on the WOTC boards. Seems to calm down the guys in Iraq who are in a high stress place and need some down time.

Sounds like a good way to dodge the draft over there-

'Yes thank you for drafting me, you now have the services of a 20th level elf, may I continue to wear my regulation starfleet uniform, you know I am a commodore, etc... etc..."

and everytime you were in combat you could scream

"I smite thee"

or the ever popular

"Excelsior"

You forgot one -- "Run away! Run away!"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  03:24:03  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm
I guess they're afraid people will roll dice to make decisions in real life or something.

What's wrong with that?

Sirius who rolled a D20 to determine whether or not he should reply to Bookwyrm's post
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  03:25:05  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

I know of four military police officers who gamed while serving in Desert Storm.
Go to Top of Page

Alparon
Seeker

Turkey
67 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  09:35:32  Show Profile  Visit Alparon's Homepage Send Alparon a Private Message
Oh man, i cannot believe this issue got this far!!
5 years ago in Istanbul, in Uskudar American Collage(this was our sister school when i was in High School) a girl committed suicide.

And guess who was to blame? FRP of course. The girls father had strong proofs of the issue. He showed the AD&D players handbook to the judge and said "look what is written here!! if you try to jump over a 4 meter wide hole with a plate mail on you will fall down. Look it promotes Satanism!! people die in this game!!"

and because of this the press started to make propaganda against FRP, claiming that it is a satanist game.

The most interesting thing happenned to me. In a newspaper there was the article which "identifies" a satanist:

-they wear black
-they play FRP
-they listen to metal music
-they dislike bright light

guess what: i love black cause it shows me thinner and its the symbol of my favourite soccer team Besiktas(the black eagles), i do play FRP, i used to listen to metal music plus, because of a sickness in my eyes i cannot stand bright light and when my father calculated all this bullcrap, he came up with this great question: "Son, are you a SATANIST)

the answer: Look father, those who claim that "the ones who has the following features are satanists" do not even know a word of a single prayer. I read the Quran for gods sake(plus i can sing Hallenujah)!!

so my fellow scribes it is a sorry fact that these mouse minded sons of a "body-selling woman" are always dominant in these kind of issues.

I am Cyric, the One and the All, God of Murder and Intrigue, Patron of Deception and Chaos, Prince of Lies, the Dark Sun, rightful Lord of the Dead, Cyric-on-a-stick, and known to some as "the Mad God." I welcome you to The Land of the Dead...
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  17:03:39  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alparon
when my father calculated all this bullcrap, he came up with this great question: "Son, are you a SATANIST)

Reminds me of a gamer I knew who got tired of his parent's constantly asking him "If something was wrong?" because he liked to play "that game. Are you practicing XXXX or becoming suicidal?" were standard questions.

Finally, during one of these group interventions with his folks, this player, having had enough and being a normal teenager, decided to reply with. "No. There's nothing like that going on because of my gaming. But, since you are so concerned with my life, I guess this is a good time to tell you that I am gay."

Needless to say his parents took him serious. But, alas, I can't blame him for having had enough.
Go to Top of Page

Zimeros
Learned Scribe

Brazil
121 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  18:24:27  Show Profile  Visit Zimeros's Homepage Send Zimeros a Private Message
I knew a story that seems your story, Alparon. Three years ago, the Brazilian society saw a brutal kill, a young girl, 16 years old, that lived in city of Ouro Preto, Minas Gerais state, was killed in a graveyeard, the police though her RPG group killed her, because she lost in the game. Near to her body, some books was found, they were, "Vampire", "D&D", "Werewolf" , and "Arkanum", as you know only RPG books. The main police (investigator of that, I think) said in interview that I saw in TV " it seems to be a game that the players be on druks, and they think they're dragons, wizards, vampires and clerics of pagan gods, and in this game who lost must to pay something, and she lost, as she hadn't anything to pay, she paid with her life...".

I think a young roleplayer did **** the daughter or the wife of this police or he wouldn't hate our game like he hates it.

Edited by - Zimeros on 16 Mar 2005 18:30:34
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  19:05:24  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
And the worst came after this. One of the magistrates of my State (Minas Gerais), ask for a law censuring the rpg books, trying to prohibite the book sales. This was black days, because I lived in this state when this murder happen... and I lived in a small town, with an zealous and upset comunity, so this hit my group like a thunderstorm!
Today, Iīm grateful for live in another state, and in a big city (hey, guys, here I can buy my books by myself). Good thing happen after this, too. A group of good folk create a site and a forum (something like "I play RPG!"), and begin a good move with the players that come in contact within it...
So, the light of Lathander brights even after the darkest of the nights...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  19:32:33  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message
Yeah the same thing happened in the states in the late 70s, the bottom line is that there are just too many of us to lock us all up, and surprise surprise, most of us are smart, have good jobs and contribute to society way more than our miserable critics.

Its funny though that about the only thing that many conservative christians, muslims and jews can all agree upon is that we (gamers) worship satan.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2005 :  05:13:13  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
And its funny that I . . . a conservative Catholic and a gamer have to constantly hear about how conservative Christians oppress our hobby . . . I'm not saying that fundamentalist haven't taken the forefront on this crusade in the past . . . but why dosn't anyone remember that for every Pat Robertson out there that there is a Tipper Gore wanting to ban heavy metal and a Joe Lieberman wanting to ban video games . . .

The bottom line is the problem isn't Conservatives or Liberals or even those who are practicing their religeon, its the superficial politicians that want to show that they care by bastardizing something that will stand for the source of all problems, while still being "fringe" enough for them to speak out about and not loose them too many votes . . .
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2005 :  18:58:13  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
This reminds me of the time some religious nutcase tried to ban teletubbies because he thought one of the little blighters was gay.........

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2005 :  06:02:02  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message
Whee. I may not be a psychological expert or anything, but I find this... stupid. Easily as stupid as "OMG D&D == worshiping TEH DEVIL oh noes!"
Go to Top of Page

LordAnki
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  00:46:12  Show Profile  Visit LordAnki's Homepage Send LordAnki a Private Message
LOL. That is funny.

I am going to start doing that at school. I am going to make a character sheet for myself and for everything I am going to roll a d20. LOL. I will use my ghetto dice instead of my Onyx dice.

Oh, well since we are all satanist then why was I like "Cool! A pope died in my lifetime! Yay!" (There was sarcasm there)

There are some pretty stupid people. I think DnD would be looked down at the baptist church I goto. Heh well I am already looked down upon there just because i refuse to admit Jesus as my lord and savior. I'm a druid so I am above you all! Mwhahaha.

Tip of the Month: don't drink the dirty water. You know what i'm talking about if you know what i mean.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  02:07:13  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Good bless you, and don't take this the wrong way, but it is way too soon to make any kind of Pope joke. Some of us have taken this loss very personally and it really has effected us deeply, but I understand that you weren't serious . . . but its still a little hard to take.
Go to Top of Page

LordAnki
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  03:09:36  Show Profile  Visit LordAnki's Homepage Send LordAnki a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Good bless you, and don't take this the wrong way, but it is way too soon to make any kind of Pope joke. Some of us have taken this loss very personally and it really has effected us deeply, but I understand that you weren't serious . . . but its still a little hard to take.

I know how hard it is trust me. I couldn't think of anything else that would make us seem . And only 14 more days until there is a new pope.

Oh, this is sad, today or yesterday or something like that this one lady was saying "Oh, the pope died." to this other lady and the other lady said "Who's going to be his replacement? His son?" (this isn't a joke it really happened)

Tip of the Month: don't drink the dirty water. You know what i'm talking about if you know what i mean.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  04:33:00  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
I was hoping you didn't take that the wrong way Anki, thanks.

Our priest is a chaplain in the Air Force Reserves, and when he came back last time after our parish had sent cookies over to the troops that he ministered to, he had some of the troops come up to him and ask him if his wife had baked the cookies . . .

Go to Top of Page

Yggdrasil
Acolyte

Thailand
12 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  18:24:46  Show Profile  Visit Yggdrasil's Homepage Send Yggdrasil a Private Message
I never saw that comeing

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.
-Mae West
Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  21:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message
Yet again, proof that government organizations often fail to see what's beyond the tip of their noses... I can't say I'm surprised by this, but then again, there's so many groups out there that attack DnD players as being "evil" and "satanists" and "cultists" and any of a number of other negative titles, that hearing about another case of it, fails to surprise me anymore.

The part that amuses me most tho, is that most of those "professional opinions" you hear about, the people that supposedly did "indepth research on the subject", their opinions sound like they did little more than look at a monster manual, see the pictures and names of the monsters, and go "oooohhhhh... that's baaaad" b/c I mean honestly people... if you read the PHB, or the DMG, or any other sourcebook that has more than monster writeup's in it, I'm fairly certain that in the majority of such books, there's always elements in the writting that reinforce that "it's just a game, have fun with it" and so forth. Not to mention, honestly, interview a few people who play, I'm pretty sure that 99% of us, are rather understanding of the fact that, it's a game, it's for our enjoyment. It's not something that we revolve our lives around. we have jobs, schooling, families, all things we place above gaming (or mostly anyways :P j/k'ing) If a person lacks the rational to make sound judgements, it's not because they play DnD, it was a problem that existed FAR before they started playing DnD...

*steps off his box and slips through the crowd...*
Kar

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...

Edited by - Karesch on 08 Apr 2005 21:28:48
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  21:32:02  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
Karesch,

Problem is you just used logic and rationale thinking. In my experiences, groups that are like the ones you described in your post are missing such elements. Or, they are groups with agenda and are looking for something or someone they can use as a focal point/scapegoat.
Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  23:28:23  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message
yes of course, I know, I know... but it's a point of.. irritation to me, that the people that call themselves "Leaders of Nations" and "Experts" ..... Aren't they the ones that are SUPPOSED to use "reason" and "rational"???? man.. I'm glad I never went to some expensive university.... I mighta become dangerous with all those smarts, huh? I'd not only be armed with a sense of reason and rational, oh.. and let's not forget common sense (something I believe you have to exorcise from yourself, before you're allowed to join politics...), but I woulda had that piece of paper that said I'm an "expert" on something who know's what sort of revolutions I might have caused....

Kar

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  21:44:47  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
And only to change the pace...

Another "rpg motivated" murder in Brazil. That time was in the coastal state of Santa Catarina (St. Catherine). By the police pronouncements, we all came to know that:

- 3 boys are playing that unknown and perilous game called rpg;
- 1 one the boys bet (???) his life and the life of his parents in the game;
- as he lose (???) in the game, he was obligued to pay with his life (and the life of his parents...)

It is incredible that the police is considering that declaration of the murderers. And the the great press and journals of the country, too.... They are not considering the fact that the murdered boy was stolen in R$ 4.000,00 (US 1.300,00, more or less), one cell phone, and some other things. They thinking that the boy and his parents, by free will, permited to be sedated, and after this, murdered. When the new apear in the tv journals, was shown the "strange books of the game": the Shadowrun adventure Metagen; some brazilian magazines; and the Ruins of Undermountain...

Men, this really upset me. Soon after this, one cultural tv channel exibit a decent new about the crimes, and about rpg. But now, the wors has already been done...

Oooooooon the other side (hey, Lathander ligth shine, too):

We have our XIII RPG Convention (no, I never go to one... ), and some good news in it: was launched, in brazilian portuguese, the following books:

- Oriental Adventures;
- Epic Level handbook (I will stay with mine original, hehehe)
- Icewind Dale Trilogy - The Crystal Shard (Finally! The first FR novel in portuguese!!!)

and was scheduled for this year the translation of the Faiths and Pantheons!!!

We have, in portuguese: 2nd edition - FRCS revised; Ruins of Undermountain; 3rd edition - FRCS; DM Screen; Magic of Faerun (hardcover, ); and Silver Marches; and now, The Cristal Shard.

Well, good and bad news walk side by side, like the twin faces of Tymora and Beshaba...

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  22:02:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
I was surprised to see this thred posted to after laying fallow so long.

Yes the news is bad concerning the evils of rpgs. I take it the other two players in whatever game was being played (if any game was played at all) are the ones acused of the murders and rpg is being raised as some kind of defense.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  22:06:53  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Exactly!!!

If the 2 guys was acused by thief and murder, they will be judged directly by a judge (magistrate, i really donīt know the right word); But, if the idea of "crime motivated by the game" pass on, we will have a jury, and the lawyer of the criminals will have all the tools to put the fault in the rpg, and out of the boys

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  22:44:19  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
A URL for this story:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/aplatin_story.asp?category=1102&slug=Brazil%20Game%20Killings

A little long, but I think not two much a frame breaker (I hope). One mother says knows nothing about rpg but her son is a good one. *sighs*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  14:11:06  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Well, that is it! Thankīs for the link, Kentinal...

They forget to mention that the murderes came with that version of the crime 3 days after they go to the prison (and after they talked with their lawyer)...

Dark times are coming for us again...

The ocurrence of that crime, in the same month of the Champions of Ruin sourcebook came out sounds as a very bad omen for me

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  04:36:39  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Chosen, I can only point out that most of those who would seek to make D&D a scapegoat are not detail oriented enough to realize that a "Forgotten Realms" book actually IS a Dungeons and Dragons book.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000