Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novel/trilogy I'd like to see
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  02:13:52  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I thnink a pretty decent novel/trilogy would be the fall of the Drow of the surface; starting with Araushnee's fall from Arvandor with Vhaeraun, Kiransalee, Selvetarm and so forth, detailing the massive war (Possible prologue Corellon's duel with Gruumsh), whereas the next books deal with Drow establishing their cities (I'd like to see more on Menzoberra the Kinless and her death). I dunno, this just struck me as an interesting idea.

And I hope Elaine writes some more Liriel novels so we can get some closure on our little drow wizard as well as her nemesis Shakti and I really hope we get some closure on Kymil Nimesin... (any word if he's to appear in ANY coming books? I just don't feel...right when such a vile guy escapes justice)

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  02:48:33  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ethriel, your first idea has already kinda been fulfilled in Evermeet: The Island of Elves. Even though it's not TOO detailed, a lot of the events you are talking about already have been written.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  03:20:07  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...too bad, I think a big drow war could have made quite the trilogy
I've gotta find Evermeet...
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  04:11:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'm rather tired of reading about drow. They are interesting, but they've already gotten more than their fair share of airtime. The drow are not technically even a core player race, and yet there are tons of novels about them while halfings, gnomes, and to a lesser extent dwarves have been largely ignored. For that matter, who said elves of any type must be the be-all end-all of the non-human core races? One thing I love about the Eberron setting is how it has played up the role of these "shorter, less sexier" races.

As for Liriel...I'd love to read more about her, as well, but I believe Elaine has mentioned--in her thread--that WotC has no new Liriel novels planned at this time.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 06 Mar 2005 04:12:15
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  04:42:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

I thnink a pretty decent novel/trilogy would be the fall of the Drow of the surface; starting with Araushnee's fall from Arvandor with Vhaeraun, Kiransalee, Selvetarm and so forth, detailing the massive war (Possible prologue Corellon's duel with Gruumsh), whereas the next books deal with Drow establishing their cities (I'd like to see more on Menzoberra the Kinless and her death). I dunno, this just struck me as an interesting idea.

Yes, it's interesting, but I doubt it will happen, at least not in the near future if ever. As the upcoming and recently published novels show, the book department seems to be focusing on the present and future rather than having a novel details events from the past. The only tome about the past upcoming that I can think of right now is the KoMD novel.

quote:

And I hope Elaine writes some more Liriel novels so we can get some closure on our little drow wizard as well as her nemesis Shakti and I really hope we get some closure on Kymil Nimesin... (any word if he's to appear in ANY coming books? I just don't feel...right when such a vile guy escapes justice)

I believe the FAQ on her website shows that at least for now, no such novels are planned or in the works.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  04:43:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm...too bad, I think a big drow war could have made quite the trilogy
I've gotta find Evermeet...

Have you tried Ebay?
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  05:04:28  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me rephrase that: Ordering online isn't an option for at least another month
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  05:30:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
The only tome about the past upcoming that I can think of right now is the KoMD novel.

Simple curiosity, but what title would that be?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  05:46:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
The only tome about the past upcoming that I can think of right now is the KoMD novel.

Simple curiosity, but what title would that be?

Ed's Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy that he's working on still. I don't think that the title has been totally chosen yet. :) I'm soooooooo looking forward to this trilogy. It's only taken 15 years to get it made. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 06 Mar 2005 05:47:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  05:57:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Let me rephrase that: Ordering online isn't an option for at least another month

You do realize, don't you, that with eBay, you are simply bidding online? Most auctions give various options for paying by snail-mail.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  05:58:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, me, personally, I'd like to see Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak do another trilogy. I love their stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  07:15:09  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Now, me, personally, I'd like to see Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak do another trilogy. I love their stuff.

I'd second that. I think we're long overdue for either a great Alias novel (starring Jennifer Garner with red hair!) or perhaps taking Jeff's FR comic characters and rebuilding the Realmsmaster for new adventures!

Then again, they're the dearest of friends so I just want to see them get more books under their names.

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  17:05:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

I'd second that. I think we're long overdue for either a great Alias novel (starring Jennifer Garner with red hair!) or perhaps taking Jeff's FR comic characters and rebuilding the Realmsmaster for new adventures!

Then again, they're the dearest of friends so I just want to see them get more books under their names.

SES

The Realms Master was rebuilt, in one of the Dragon short stories. 'Twas called Reunification (Body and Soul), and appeared in issue 247.

But yeah, it would be great to see a novel or even a trilogy dealing with Foxy, Agrivar, Ishi, Minder, Vartan, and Omen. They made a great team.

I seem to recall Agrivar and Ishi appearing in one of the Realms of anthologies, as well.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  17:43:02  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though the title Swords of Eveningstar has been mooted for the first Knights book.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  01:11:53  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to see Elaine do a novel,or trilogy, on Elaith Craulnober.Not necessarily his past.Well his past will always have to be mentioned,but....I want to see him in adventures in the present.

Also I am intrigued with RAS coming out with the post Crystal Shard Jarlaxle and Entreri.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  05:30:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Ed's Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy that he's working on still. I don't think that the title has been totally chosen yet. :) I'm soooooooo looking forward to this trilogy. It's only taken 15 years to get it made. :)

Ooooh! I know about that novel (and look forward to it!), I just didn't know what the initials stood for. They didn't ring any bells.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  06:28:38  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

I want to see Elaine do a novel,or trilogy, on Elaith Craulnober.Not necessarily his past.Well his past will always have to be mentioned,but....I want to see him in adventures in the present.

I recall her mentioning some time ago about a novel proposal featuring Elaith that she submitted. The idea was nixed, no doubt due to the current focus on new characters rather than old ones.

Except of course for

Drizzt
and most other R.A. Salvatore characters
and Elminster
and the KoMD.

Hmmm.....
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  11:26:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I recall her mentioning some time ago about a novel proposal featuring Elaith that she submitted. The idea was nixed, no doubt due to the current focus on new characters rather than old ones.

Except of course for

Drizzt
and most other R.A. Salvatore characters
and Elminster
and the KoMD.

Hmmm.....

*snickers* Good point, SB. WotC does love their cash cows.

Though I'd hesitate to put the KoMD on there. We've had novels that featured them, but they've never really been the focus of the tale.

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  16:02:17  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SB I do recall Elaine saying that somewhere on a thread,but I don't remember which one.I do agree that WoTC are big into their cash cows,as Wooly appropriately states it.For WoTC to turn down Elaine's proposal for Elaith,it's strange to me.Elaith is a great character that I think would sell very well.I think it is safe to say that the majority of us here at candlekeep wouldn't mind seeing him in a novel, or trilogy,whatever you will.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  17:25:39  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

SB I do recall Elaine saying that somewhere on a thread,but I don't remember which one.

I believe the first time I read about it was on the forums that shall not be named. If I recall correctly, the proposal had Elaith traveling to Lamruil's new kingdom with a certain relative along with him.

quote:

I do agree that WoTC are big into their cash cows,as Wooly appropriately states it.

A company that wants to make money. I can't fault them for such a goal. But, please spare me the "we're not interested in old characters" line.

quote:

I think it is safe to say that the majority of us here at candlekeep wouldn't mind seeing him in a novel, or trilogy,whatever you will.

But, we are only a fraction of online novel readers which are a fraction themselves of overall readers. Perhaps Elaith's appearance in the upcoming Waterdeep novel and short story in Dragon will convince powers that be of his popularity.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 07 Mar 2005 17:25:56
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  18:09:43  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

But, we are only a fraction of online novel readers which are a fraction themselves of overall readers. Perhaps Elaith's appearance in the upcoming Waterdeep novel and short story in Dragon will convince powers that be of his popularity.

That's very true. Message boards do not seem to be representative of the broad readership. Judging solely from the defunct WotC forums, someone new to fantasy might not pick up the fact that Bob Salvatore is one of the most popular fantasy writers alive.

Emails aren't a reliable indicator, either, but I think they come a little closer to a representative sample. After the Waterdeep novel and short story come out, I plan to keep a file of every Elaith-focused email I receive. Not that I expect WotC would find this data interesting--this is for my own benefit. Comparing frequency of reader requests for various characters is a good exercise, not only in determining whether or not to continue writing about a particular character, but when contemplating what sort of new characters to create.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  18:48:37  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
Emails aren't a reliable indicator, either, but I think they come a little closer to a representative sample. After the Waterdeep novel and short story come out, I plan to keep a file of every Elaith-focused email I receive. Not that I expect WotC would find this data interesting--this is for my own benefit. Comparing frequency of reader requests for various characters is a good exercise, not only in determining whether or not to continue writing about a particular character, but when contemplating what sort of new characters to create.

Nice to hear that will be done. I imagine such a task also keeps fresh the statistic skills we picked up from mandatory courses.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  03:59:04  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good idea Elaine to do.I think Elaith would do well.He's an extremly interesting character to me.To me he's the ultimate rouge.

SB I'm in agreement about the,"We're not into old characters" B.S.The old characters are what made FR.Not to say that the new ones that are coming out leave something to be desired.Quite the contrary.I'm particularly intrigued by Dorn and Kara,Aeravin,etc...But the old characters still do it for me.I want to see them.Though we are the minority here.Elaine stay on WoTC about Elaith please

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  05:20:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*smiles* I do like a lot of the newer characters, and it helps to remember that the old characters were once new characters.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  05:35:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*smiles* I do like a lot of the newer characters, and it helps to remember that the old characters were once new characters.

I've pointed out more than once that all characters in the Realms were once new characters... But still, I don't see anything wrong with revisiting old ones, so long as it doesn't continue ad nauseum...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  06:03:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
But still, I don't see anything wrong with revisiting old ones, so long as it doesn't continue ad nauseum...

Why WR, what characters from the Realms could possibly be going on in that fashion?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  11:27:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
But still, I don't see anything wrong with revisiting old ones, so long as it doesn't continue ad nauseum...

Why WR, what characters from the Realms could possibly be going on in that fashion?

Well, there's that third guy from the left who seems to be in every single tavern scene...

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  17:37:48  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys are silly

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2005 :  21:51:26  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to renew my desire to see a series done on the Harpstar Wars.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  00:21:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You guys are silly

Thank you. We aim to please.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  01:42:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I've pointed out more than once that all characters in the Realms were once new characters... But still, I don't see anything wrong with revisiting old ones, so long as it doesn't continue ad nauseum...

I'm sure you have. And trust me, I'd love to see more books about Arilyn and Danilo and Liriel and other favorite old characters, myself.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000