Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novel/trilogy I'd like to see
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  02:58:31  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I'm sure you have. And trust me, I'd love to see more books about Arilyn and Danilo

If only! Of all the forces of evil I've combat in righteous internet causes and won (believe me there have been a few), Wizards of the Coast is the only unmovable giant. I really starting to think it's because no one with decision making power checks or takes the internet fans seriously.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  03:19:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I'm sure you have. And trust me, I'd love to see more books about Arilyn and Danilo

If only! Of all the forces of evil I've combat in righteous internet causes and won (believe me there have been a few), Wizards of the Coast is the only unmovable giant. I really starting to think it's because no one with decision making power checks or takes the internet fans seriously.

Well, they did one time say they weren't interested in taking the time to ask what internet fans wanted...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6655 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  04:06:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see a novel trilogy from the point of view of the bad guy - an anti-hero situation. I know that Steven Schend has long envisioned Semmemon in such a role and I could think of a few other candidates, such as Elaith, Maalthir of Hillsfar, the dwarves of Ironmaster, and Sammareza Sulphontis of Waterdeep. A grittier-edged Realms would be refreshing ans something different.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  04:35:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'd like to see a novel trilogy from the point of view of the bad guy - an anti-hero situation. I know that Steven Schend has long envisioned Semmemon in such a role and I could think of a few other candidates, such as Elaith, Maalthir of Hillsfar, the dwarves of Ironmaster, and Sammareza Sulphontis of Waterdeep. A grittier-edged Realms would be refreshing ans something different.

-- George Krashos

*ahem* What about a certain Mr. Jarlaxle and a certain Mr. Artemis Entreri? Just saying, there is Servant of the Shard, and apparently RAS will be writing some new books about them.

Sir Urza: I agree with you that it would be great if WotC paid attention to us "petitioners", but like Wooly said, they don't. :/

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6655 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  07:14:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With all due respect to RA Salvatore, I'm over drow in the Realms and Jarlaxle is an anti-Drizzt with a sense of humor, IMHO. As for Entreri, he's become a closet good guy who does something 'nasty' every once in a while to remind us that he's really a bad and scary guy. Supposedly. Neither are "gritty", as the whole Drizzt experience has made drow in the Realms a commonplace phenomenon which provoke a few grumbles at best when one waltzes into a tavern. If RA wanted to impress me with his new novel on Jarlaxle and Entreri, he'd have Jarlaxle trying to be as low key as possible and risking a lynch mob everytime he travelled to a human village - especially in Vaasa, Lawless doesn't mean that they would put up with drow in their midst. But what we'll likely get is a bar fight, lots of dead humans and a bit of witty repartee as the two travel the length and breadth of Vaasa doing what they will. I'll be very happy to be proven wrong.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  20:20:10  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides saving Danica and sparing a family and kid, I can't recall Entreri being a saint or 'closet good guy' whatsoever.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2005 :  22:33:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

With all due respect to RA Salvatore, I'm over drow in the Realms and Jarlaxle is an anti-Drizzt with a sense of humor, IMHO. As for Entreri, he's become a closet good guy who does something 'nasty' every once in a while to remind us that he's really a bad and scary guy. Supposedly. Neither are "gritty", as the whole Drizzt experience has made drow in the Realms a commonplace phenomenon which provoke a few grumbles at best when one waltzes into a tavern. If RA wanted to impress me with his new novel on Jarlaxle and Entreri, he'd have Jarlaxle trying to be as low key as possible and risking a lynch mob everytime he travelled to a human village - especially in Vaasa, Lawless doesn't mean that they would put up with drow in their midst. But what we'll likely get is a bar fight, lots of dead humans and a bit of witty repartee as the two travel the length and breadth of Vaasa doing what they will. I'll be very happy to be proven wrong.

*laughs* You make a lot of good points--especially about drow having become very common place in the Realms. I recently read the Realms of the Dragons A&J story, and I don't recall Jarlaxle ever bothering to hide his drow heritage...does he just tell people he's Drizzt? That falsity wouldn't work forever, I imagine (and not everyone knows or cares who Drizzt is, either, much less trust him only on word of mouth).

However, I'm still not sure if Artemis is really a "closet good guy", though he *does* seem to have softened up, and has definately gone from villain to anti-hero. I also can see what you mean, George, when you say that A&J aren't really "edgy" or "gritty", but as far as anti-hero stars of novels, they are the most prominent examples.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  21:22:08  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thankfully, Entreri has some reasons...his way of life shattered by two consecutive defeats, and without a doubt hanging out in Menzoberranzan changed him...
And c'mon, it's Jarlaxle...he'll probably have an illusion up most of the time if things get too dicey
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2005 :  22:50:57  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off, I love the fact that Elaine and Steven pop up here. It just makes me all warm and fuzzy.

I would love to see Red Wizards handled well, perhaps a novel from the perspective of a Thayan knight.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000