Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  22:18:24  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Not all that long, really. I've only had real training since January, to be honest, but my maestro has long referred to me as an exceptional student. Sword-play is just so fun.

I love saber. I'm working on getting my kid brother to take it up.

I took fencing (foil) for about a year when I was 17 and I've been wanting to get back into ever since. Sadly the fencing club at my college always meets when I have classes or other responsibilites. I've consoled myeself by joining the equestrian team. Have you ever been interested in riding? If not I can heartily recommend it. After a while the barn smell becomes theraputic, no joke.

-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  22:28:04  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Blue Sorceress

I've consoled myeself by joining the equestrian team. Have you ever been interested in riding? If not I can heartily recommend it. After a while the barn smell becomes theraputic, no joke.

The times I've tried riding I've always felt somewhat sorry for the horse. Not that I'm especially hefty, but when you're 6'6.6" in height, you just have a certain minimum weight, you know? About 225-230 lbs. Now if only I could get some plate armor. . .

It's probably just been incidental, and I haven't found the right (BIG) horse.

That said, I do like riding, even if I'm not too skilled at it, even more than I like driving (I'm from California).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 28 May 2005 02:20:17
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  12:19:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Erik Scott de Bie:

I noticed the following blog entry the other day

quote:

I can ALMOST talk about the secret projects. Well, one of them anyway. ALMOST! Until then, it's *ahem* *ahem* hush hush. . .

Are we looking at a week? month? Or how long til you can stop being a tease.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  19:13:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Dear Erik Scott de Bie:

I noticed the following blog entry the other day

quote:

I can ALMOST talk about the secret projects. Well, one of them anyway. ALMOST! Until then, it's *ahem* *ahem* hush hush. . .

Are we looking at a week? month? Or how long til you can stop being a tease.

That depends more on certain publishers than it does on me. Shouldn't be more than a week. Promise, cross my heart and hope to fly. . . away before the irates come!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  03:46:37  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
That depends more on certain publishers than it does on me. Shouldn't be more than a week. Promise, cross my heart and hope to fly. . . away before the irates come!

Cheers

Fair enough. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  09:09:49  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sirius, Erik has finally revealed to us the secret project and guess what? It's Realms related.

Anyway, a direct quote from his blog:
quote:
First off (secret project #1):

I found out recently that Wizards of the Coast is accepting a novel proposal of mine called "The Depths of Madness," for publication in March 2007 (yeah -- long term? You ain't kidding) as part of a series called (dare I mention it? I don't know if it's been publicly announced. . .) THE DUNGEONS.

The Dungeons. . . kind of a followup to the Cities, about to be ended by the venerable (not in an old sort of way) Ed Greenwood and the stylish Elaine Cunningham, and the class series of novels (Rogues, Priests, Fighters, and Wizards), continuing the trend of 3 or 4 parters based on a single theme. To my knowledge, the Dungeons will consist of 4 novels, released throughout 2007 and 2008, all by lower/middle prestige Realms authors (my fellow Young Dragons and those somewhat more experienced than we, but no spoiler big names like Ed, Bob, Elaine, Paul, Thomas, Lisa, or either of the Richards). That's all I really know -- no idea who my fellows on this series will be. And I could always be wrong about any of that.

Anyway, the outline's due August 2, so I'll devote the next week or so to getting that hammered out, and the first draft's due in January. . . not that I think it'll take that long, but hey.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  11:53:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn

Sirius, Erik has finally revealed to us the secret project and guess what? It's Realms related.

Yes, I made reference to it in this thread.
Go to Top of Page

sillaric_culdanin
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  04:54:56  Show Profile  Visit sillaric_culdanin's Homepage Send sillaric_culdanin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, just wanted to say that I think you and the rest of the Young Dragons rock, you all are just what FR needs. Don't misunderstand, I've read all the FR greats too and loved every word, you guys bring a fresh attitude. BTW if you want a great rush try rapier dueling (custom made blunt edged rapiers with a hard foam "cork" on the tip). And if you really want to ride, look into a well trained draft breed (Irish Draft or Shire) or a French Thoroughbred (thats what I ride regularly and I weigh about 235. Cheers!

Last living Paladin and Adept of the Ruby Legion of Alankier
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  06:22:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sillaric_culdanin

Erik, just wanted to say that I think you and the rest of the Young Dragons rock, you all are just what FR needs. Don't misunderstand, I've read all the FR greats too and loved every word, you guys bring a fresh attitude. BTW if you want a great rush try rapier dueling (custom made blunt edged rapiers with a hard foam "cork" on the tip). And if you really want to ride, look into a well trained draft breed (Irish Draft or Shire) or a French Thoroughbred (thats what I ride regularly and I weigh about 235. Cheers!

Gosh, I'll bet you say that to ALL the Dragons.

But seriously -- thanks for the vote of confidence.

Does that mean you read my story? What did you think?

Good recommendations -- I'll have to keep the horses in mind!

Rapiers are totally choice. Not sure I'll be putting down my saber any time soon -- seriously, it's practically cemented to my hand -- but you never know. I'm looking to buy myself a nice rapier and a nice dueling epee eventually -- not to use, mind, but just for show. After all, genuine swords hurt people, you know. ()

Fencing is excellent, whatever weapon you've got in hand.

Cheers!

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sillaric_culdanin
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  07:19:02  Show Profile  Visit sillaric_culdanin's Homepage Send sillaric_culdanin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Hunting Game was wicked, I am in general a huge Realms Anthology fan (Realms of Valor was the very first FR book I ever purchased and started my current addiction to FR back in hmmmm maybe 93-94?). Have to agree with Prince Forge on favorite part....you'd have to know my wife to understand why I liked it quite so much. Were you stoked to be able to pick Ghostwalker (IMO the coolest PrC for fighters yet developed for 3E)for your fighters series book? There is a smith (yes an actual smith) in Truckee, CA, or at least there was some years ago when my gaming group wanted our rapiers, that creates custom weapons and armor to suit and used to take orders by phone and had a website, I'll try to find the link again...

Go to Top of Page

sillaric_culdanin
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  07:23:56  Show Profile  Visit sillaric_culdanin's Homepage Send sillaric_culdanin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and BTW the saber is my favorite weapon, I have a collection of decorative blades in my den. If we could find a safer way to do full contact with a true saber we'd be all over it...

Go to Top of Page

sillaric_culdanin
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  07:25:15  Show Profile  Visit sillaric_culdanin's Homepage Send sillaric_culdanin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And to Blue Sorceress, I'm putting together a new group... 2 gals and 2 guys for players...who says D&D can't be about equal rights!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  02:04:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do personally find the ghostwalker PrC to be awesome. I've never actually played one (though I've made the character, just never used 'im). Ghostwalker's totally due for a 3.5 update. Maybe if people like the book. . .

We shall see.

I vacation occasionally near Truckee. Beautiful area up there.

It's funny -- my best friend gives me the worst time about that line.

" 'Who's your princess now?' C'mon, Erik!"

Snicker snicker.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  13:50:49  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik,

Don't know if you've been asked this question or not... but your Realms of the Elves story - what Elven subrace does it include? Or does it have more than one? Or are you even allowed to say?

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  16:35:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Erik,

Don't know if you've been asked this question or not... but your Realms of the Elves story - what Elven subrace does it include? Or does it have more than one? Or are you even allowed to say?

C-Fb

I imagine I can say this much: It includes two different Elven subraces (and the potential for a third) amongst three elves.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  21:01:58  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Erik: Did you see that your novel is solicited in the new issue of Previews? I always get a kick out of seeing my books listed in there.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  00:06:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had not noticed that. In fact, I don't believe I've heard of this "Previews" bit. Where might I find info?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  00:30:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I had not noticed that. In fact, I don't believe I've heard of this "Previews" bit. Where might I find info?

Cheers

I believe he's referring to the big catalog comic and game stores get. A lot of them give or sell copies to their customers. It's like 400 pages, as I recall, and lists the stuff that's coming out in 3 months' time. It has comics, toys, DVDs, anime, collectibles, all sorts of stuff.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  04:24:38  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wooly's right. That's what I was referring to.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  21:11:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, all assembled,

It's only November 23, but apparently, an old friend of mine managed to snag a copy of Ghostwalker yesterday (YESTERDAY!).

Apologies if it's a hoax, but I doubt it from the party mage. Hoaxes are more the party thief's style (party thief = ME).

So I guess that means that people MAY be able to find it. . . no guarantees. Just, if you're heading to the bookstore anyway, you might take a glance.

Cheers

Erik
Who is struggling to resist the urge to run out of the office in the middle of the day just to search bookstores ala the events surrounding RotD2.

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  22:32:08  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So I guess that means that people MAY be able to find it. . . no guarantees. Just, if you're heading to the bookstore anyway, you might take a glance.

And remember the place to discuss this novel will be in the Candlekeep book club! We will have the threads up for you in time for the December release, and this is one I am looking forward to.

I hope there will be plenty of you joining in the discussion through the month of December!

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  23:03:06  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that the Swedish internet bookstore I use (www.bokus.se) has it. I'll have to wait until January, though, as I found some books I thought was unavailable and don't dare to wait with buying - but I promise to get Ghostwalker once I have those.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  23:59:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malarick

quote:

And remember the place to discuss this novel will be in the Candlekeep book club! We will have the threads up for you in time for the December release, and this is one I am looking forward to.

I hope there will be plenty of you joining in the discussion through the month of December!

Depends what gets discussed. I'd be more than happy to answer questions about anything and everything (I assure you, it all has an answer -- even the really mysterious stuff ). Also discussing the characters, plot events. . . The area I'll be a bit limited on will be reviews and critiques (stock answers being: "Oh, glad you enjoyed, then" and "Oh bother -- sorry you feel that way"). :)

And, of course, it depends on time. I'm under deadline to write Depths, after all -- by January, and I told my editor I'd be early. What a fool, eh?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2005 :  01:56:09  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gah! I knew I should have checked on it today, darn slow shipping trucks, grumble, grumble...
Oh well, looking forward to nabbing one.
Congrats Erik!

Best,
--James

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  23:33:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's official, and it's not a hoax. I've got the copy in my hand to prove it: Ghostwalker is out in some stores.

Neat that they put it on the shelves just before Thanksgiving, so that it was there for post-Turkey day shopping.

(Gah! Erik you capitalist pig-dog!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  21:00:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and one other thing:

In a few days, I'm pretty sure that Wizards will put up on their website some supplementary stuff I wrote for Ghostwalker:

- An interview with me about the book (probably best read before reading the book)

- A character profile of one of the main characters

- A supplementary short story concerning another of the principle characters, which can be read before or after the book -- your choice.

So you have some Ghostwalker stuff to read even if you don't have the book / time yet. :)

The story ("Wayfarer") takes place three hours after the prelude to Ghostwalker and just less than fifteen years before the first chapter. It's the kind of story you can read before you read the book, during, or after -- all that will change is how you perceive it. I don't think it spoils anything. What it does do is give a great taste of what the book is like.

I would imagine they'll put them up December 1st, when the site gets updated, but they might wait until next week. We'll see.

Anyway -- now you have something else to look forward to as well!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  21:24:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, and one other thing:

In a few days, I'm pretty sure that Wizards will put up on their website some supplementary stuff I wrote for Ghostwalker:

- An interview with me about the book (probably best read before reading the book)

- A character profile of one of the main characters

- A supplementary short story concerning another of the principle characters, which can be read before or after the book -- your choice.

So you have some Ghostwalker stuff to read even if you don't have the book / time yet. :)

The story ("Wayfarer") takes place three hours after the prelude to Ghostwalker and just less than fifteen years before the first chapter. It's the kind of story you can read before you read the book, during, or after -- all that will change is how you perceive it. I don't think it spoils anything. What it does do is give a great taste of what the book is like.

I would imagine they'll put them up December 1st, when the site gets updated, but they might wait until next week. We'll see.

Anyway -- now you have something else to look forward to as well!

Cheers

Well met

Splendid. A very nice little extra for the tale, Erik. Thank ye for bringing this important piece of news to us.

Due to the close tie into the Ghostwalker tale and timeline, this tale will have a scroll within the book club next month

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  21:48:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Splendid. A very nice little extra for the tale, Erik. Thank ye for bringing this important piece of news to us.

Well, it is my hope that you'll get your money's worth from this scribe. ;)

Many thanks to the wondrous folks at WotC for letting me put up the short -- in particular, Susan, my editor, and the web guys!

quote:
Due to the close tie into the Ghostwalker tale and timeline, this tale will have a scroll within the book club next month

That's an excellent plan. This way, folks who haven't read the novel or aren't planning to can join in the Book Club if they want!

But by all means -- check out the short when it shows up. It gives an excellent taste of the tone of Ghostwalker. It's written far after the novel (I wrote it a month ago, and the novel I finished eight or ten months ago), but it can be read before, during, after, whenever!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 28 Nov 2005 21:55:03
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  22:53:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, does that mean we have to read it three times?! And here I thought the one good thing about bumming out of university was that I'd not need to do any more homework...

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  23:24:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

So, does that mean we have to read it three times?! And here I thought the one good thing about bumming out of university was that I'd not need to do any more homework...

Oh no -- you CAN, certainly, but you'll probably get everything with one read. One's quite enough.

On the other hand, if you really want to wring the most you can out of it, read it once before Ghostwalker, then again after, and fill in all the blanks you didn't catch the first time (unless you're psychic, in which case. . .).

In any case, don't trip.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 28 Nov 2005 23:25:25
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000