Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2005 :  00:13:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James P. Davis

Cool cover Erik, that Swanland guy does some great work!

--James

I heartily agree.

And I'm so looking forward to Bloodwalk as well.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  18:04:55  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just (like, 3 minutes ago) finished reading The Hunting Game and was absolutly amazed! One of the best short stories I have ever read! Kudos, Erik!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  22:48:44  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

I just (like, 3 minutes ago) finished reading The Hunting Game and was absolutly amazed! One of the best short stories I have ever read! Kudos, Erik!

My thanks, Melfius.

What part worked best, do you think?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  14:07:04  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The poor guy losing his marbles at the end really grabbed my attention. It almost seemed like a fantasy-based Twilight Zone episode. Great!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  20:07:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

The poor guy losing his marbles at the end really grabbed my attention. It almost seemed like a fantasy-based Twilight Zone episode. Great!

And there would be my Ravenloft tendencies surfacing.

Cool -- I'm glad that worked. I was worried some readers might not understand what happened to him. Going mad is not something you can describe just as, "well, he went mad," with any intellectual integrity. It's the kind of thing you need to sorta experience.

"We all go a little mad, sometimes."

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  05:15:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just gotta say it cause I love the Wheel and I'm annoyed that we didn't get a reason why the new planes have changed. So cool beans, Erik, for referencing the Wheel in RotDII!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  14:10:02  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as someone who 'goes a little mad' on an almost-daily basis, it sure worked for me!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  19:27:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

I just gotta say it cause I love the Wheel and I'm annoyed that we didn't get a reason why the new planes have changed. So cool beans, Erik, for referencing the Wheel in RotDII!

Thanks! I'm glad someone caught that little detail.

I thought my reference somewhat low impact -- I didn't go into a great deal of detail about the planes and whatnot. It was more just a shoot-in comment to ground us in what I feel is important to the world.

quote:
Well, as someone who 'goes a little mad' on an almost-daily basis, it sure worked for me!

Most excellent. There's a trifle bit of madness (or more than a trifle) in pretty much all my work -- and we'll see if Alin makes it or not. Who knows? The Editors and the NDAs are like the Dark Powers.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  20:31:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

Thanks! I'm glad someone caught that little detail.

I thought my reference somewhat low impact -- I didn't go into a great deal of detail about the planes and whatnot. It was more just a shoot-in comment to ground us in what I feel is important to the world.
Cheers

So basically you stuck it to WOTC since you didn't like the planar changes either. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  00:58:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So basically you stuck it to WOTC since you didn't like the planar changes either. :)

Shh... Not so loud!

But seriously, technically speaking, "The Great Wheel" is an ambiguous phrase.

On the one hand, it is, I believe, a name for Tymora's realm, according to one of the sourcebooks (which one escapes me at the moment, and I'm a ways from my library at the moment -- either Faiths and Pantheons or Player's Guide). The second meaning of the word, however, is the great wheel of planes, which all of us 2nd edition junkies would root for.

So it's an ambiguous reference that means what you want it to mean -- you're the reader, after all. I just wrote the darn thing.

And if anyone asks, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. You and I, though, kuje. . . so long as we understand each other.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  01:33:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're clear Erik. :)

And I don't want you to get in trouble so I'm dropping this.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  01:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We're clear Erik. :)

And I don't want you to get in trouble so I'm dropping this.

Bah! I laugh in the face of danger! Ha ha!

Then again, Ed of the Greenwood might swoop in with his personal army of Chosen to smite me where I chuckle or -- worse -- the dreaded Phil the Uber Dragon might appear and give me a second acidic bath. <shudder>

Seriously, don't worry about it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  01:50:56  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a question:

SPOILER for "tHG"

How many folks caught on that Ryla was a dragon before her unveiling? When in the narrative? Anything make you doubt it?

Seriously -- responses may well be helpful in my next rather mysterious piece.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  01:58:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's a question:

SPOILER for "tHG"

How many folks caught on that Ryla was a dragon before her unveiling? When in the narrative? Anything make you doubt it?

Seriously -- responses may well be helpful in my next rather mysterious piece.

Cheers

The strength and red hair kinda gave it away. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  02:39:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Editors and the NDAs are like the Dark Powers.
In regard to them being inherently evil, or the fact that they are largely an unknown element...?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  03:08:44  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
W/regards to tHG

I caught on pretty quickly. The first description pretty much clinches it. That followed by the stuff about the stories about her and how old they are, and then the final, unquestionable thing for me was the description of the green dragon's body. You could tell by that alone that she was a you know what, and the rest of her personality and physical description told me for certain she wasn't a member of one of the good varieties.

Anyway, the story was a fun read,
-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  06:03:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

The Editors and the NDAs are like the Dark Powers.
In regard to them being inherently evil, or the fact that they are largely an unknown element...?

The latter. Think: Dark Powers of Ravenloft.

quote:
The strength and red hair kinda gave it away. :)

quote:
I caught on pretty quickly. The first description pretty much clinches it.

Yeah -- in an anthology specifically about Dragons? Absolutely.

Watch: next time I'll put in someone who's clearly a dragon who ends up being. . . not a dragon. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

quote:
the final, unquestionable thing for me was the description of the green dragon's body. You could tell by that alone that she was a you know what, and the rest of her personality and physical description told me for certain she wasn't a member of one of the good varieties.

Oh yes. That's the kind of insane brute force that almost entirely kills one's ability to disbelieve (though it's still at least possible at that point to deny it).

It's the kind of thing where you go "Gee, Alin, why haven't you caught on yet?"

quote:
-Blue

Thanks! Any particular favorite part?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  08:09:31  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:
the final, unquestionable thing for me was the description of the green dragon's body. You could tell by that alone that she was a you know what, and the rest of her personality and physical description told me for certain she wasn't a member of one of the good varieties.

Oh yes. That's the kind of insane brute force that almost entirely kills one's ability to disbelieve (though it's still at least possible at that point to deny it).

I think that's what my mom calls 'testosterone poisoning.'

quote:
-Blue

Thanks! Any particular favorite part?

Cheers
[/quote]

Well, I rather liked the various characters. I was particularly fond of the Lathanderite cleric. I knew it couldn't possibly turn out well when he ended up dead. When the party cleric goes down it's time to pack things in, head to the nearest town, and start looking for a temporary replacement-healer.

I liked the premise of the story too. It seems like the sort of game that evil dragons would play to occupy the centuries. At least when they're not protecting their hordes and killing other dragons and stealing their hordes and eating royal virgins and whatnot.

-Blue

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  18:32:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Blue Sorceress

quote:

I think that's what my mom calls 'testosterone poisoning.'

It's so true!!!

quote:
Well, I rather liked the various characters. I was particularly fond of the Lathanderite cleric. I knew it couldn't possibly turn out well when he ended up dead. When the party cleric goes down it's time to pack things in, head to the nearest town, and start looking for a temporary replacement-healer.

A mistake my parties always made. Funny, we never had a healer for very long -- I think the whole assumption was "Build up our offensive capabilities SOOOOOOOOO much that we kill all the baddies before they get more than 1-2 hits off." That strategy never worked out too well.

quote:
I liked the premise of the story too. It seems like the sort of game that evil dragons would play to occupy the centuries. At least when they're not protecting their hordes and killing other dragons and stealing their hordes and eating royal virgins and whatnot.

Oh, that's the sequel -- where we find out that Alin's really a distant relative of the Obarskyrs and, well. . . But I shouldn't spoil it. And besides, that could get real dirty, real fast.

I pulled that trick on my players once, making them have to foil a plot involving a Sharess church, a ritual, and an "anointed virgin" who turned out to be, well, a man. The looks on their faces -- precious.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  01:22:42  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

I enjoyed your short story and your exert for your book, I have to agree with Blue Sorceress, I actaully caught on rather quickly and I remember asking myself " why isn't anybody else catching on to this?" hehehe I knew it was goig to turn out badly for them even though I liked the characters.

I'm looking forward to your book, Thanks for the good reads!!

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  04:29:07  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A mistake my parties always made. Funny, we never had a healer for very long -- I think the whole assumption was "Build up our offensive capabilities SOOOOOOOOO much that we kill all the baddies before they get more than 1-2 hits off." That strategy never worked out too well.

I had a DM that sent us through that huuuuuuge dungeon they have in the maps section over at WotC. We went in at 18th level and came out 21st, but our healing consisted of my rogue/psion/soulknife's one healing power and the fighter's intelligent sword that could cast heal 1/day.

quote:

Oh, that's the sequel -- where we find out that Alin's really a distant relative of the Obarskyrs and, well. . . But I shouldn't spoil it. And besides, that could get real dirty, real fast. [/quote]

Ah, but he's not a virgin anymore, is he?

I pulled that trick on my players once, making them have to foil a plot involving a Sharess church, a ritual, and an "anointed virgin" who turned out to be, well, a man. The looks on their faces -- precious.
[/quote]

I take it these were players of the male variety? All the guys I play with are always craking dirty jokes and such, since they're all still teenagers, but as soon as I decide to play a bisexual male half-elf they get all squeemish... pfft!

So anyway, back on topic, Ghostwalker. I read and enjoyed the "sample" in the back of the RotDII anthology. You write a lovely fight scene. I've always enjoyed revenge stories, so I'm looking forward to reading this one when it comes out.

-Blue

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  18:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I had a DM that sent us through that huuuuuuge dungeon they have in the maps section over at WotC. We went in at 18th level and came out 21st, but our healing consisted of my rogue/psion/soulknife's one healing power and the fighter's intelligent sword that could cast heal 1/day.

Sounds SOOOOOOO familiar.

Players in my games are always on the lookout for big healing items like that -- before I joined up with the group ages ago, they thought that "healing potions" carried the "heal" spell, which most of them would need after every battle. That's how vicious and deadly most of their encounters were. I brought a little moderation to the table. But if you're reading anything I write in the future and the adventurers seem to be woefully overmatched, well, it's just my upbringing.

quote:
Ah, but he's not a virgin anymore, is he?

And what a way to go.

quote:
I take it these were players of the male variety? All the guys I play with are always craking dirty jokes and such, since they're all still teenagers, but as soon as I decide to play a bisexual male half-elf they get all squeemish... pfft!

Never had a lot of luck bringing in female players. Small valley town. That kind of thing.

That said, I generally rather like female RPGers -- in my experience, they've tended to be more into it and more gungho, making for more intense games.

And non-hetero-sexuality? Unfortunately, not with a couple of the members in my group. My writing, though -- that's a different story.

quote:
So anyway, back on topic, Ghostwalker. I read and enjoyed the "sample" in the back of the RotDII anthology. You write a lovely fight scene. I've always enjoyed revenge stories, so I'm looking forward to reading this one when it comes out.

I shall strive not to disappoint.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 25 May 2005 00:02:20
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  18:49:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Prince Forge of Avalon

I enjoyed your short story and your exert for your book, I have to agree with Blue Sorceress, I actaully caught on rather quickly and I remember asking myself " why isn't anybody else catching on to this?" hehehe I knew it was goig to turn out badly for them even though I liked the characters.

I'm looking forward to your book, Thanks for the good reads!!

Thanks! Any particular favorite parts. . .?

Beautiful women are almost NEVER trustworthy in my campaigns, and the players have never really caught on -- not even when the succubus posing as the party enchantress stole the magical artifact they'd worked long and hard to procure (after, of course, sleeping her way through three or four of the characters, which I suppose might have had something to do with it -- can anyone say, James Bond?).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  21:37:25  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gee Eric,

You have that twisted type of humor I like, hahaha. Nothing like a reverse James Bond to completely befuddle your players and turn them into blithering idiots,.

As far as parts I liked, I would have to say: "Who is your princess now?"
"Y-you are"
"Perfect anwser".

Heck after that even I wanted her!? Phew HOT, hehehehe

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  23:09:33  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:

Never had a lot of luck bringing in female players. Small valley town. That kind of thing.

That said, I generally rather like female RPGers -- in my experience, they've tended to be more into it and more gungho, making for more intense games.

I'm the only gal who plays in my area. It took a while to earn my stripes in the eyes of the men folk, so to speak. It was sort of funny, the guys went out of their way to 'protect' my characters in the beginning. Granted, we were all about fifteen then, but they were stuck in 'rescue the princess' mode, even when the 'princess' in question was my heavily armored male paladin.

quote:

I shall strive not to disappoint.
[/quote]

Do you think you'll end up doing anymore FR novels in the future? Or do you see yourself branching out into non-DnD fantasay writing? Or have you already written something I'm not familiar with?

-Blue

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  00:01:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Prince Forge of Avalon

Gee Eric,

You have that twisted type of humor I like, hahaha. Nothing like a reverse James Bond to completely befuddle your players and turn them into blithering idiots,.

Indeed. Works like a charm.

quote:
As far as parts I liked, I would have to say: "Who is your princess now?"
"Y-you are"
"Perfect answer".

Heck after that even I wanted her!? Phew HOT, hehehehe

Yes! I thought it was the right bit of dialogue to do at the time.

And you're supposed to want her. She's entirely too hot to handle. Literally.

Glad you enjoyed!

quote:

I'm the only gal who plays in my area. It took a while to earn my stripes in the eyes of the men folk, so to speak. It was sort of funny, the guys went out of their way to 'protect' my characters in the beginning. Granted, we were all about fifteen then, but they were stuck in 'rescue the princess' mode, even when the 'princess' in question was my heavily armored male paladin.

Was that perhaps because they were trying to impress you or get in good with you? I know that men sometimes have this urge (conscious or subconscious) to shelter women in games that are traditionally (and wrongly) considered "male-territory" in order to arouse admiration or even romantic feelings. Particularly at 15.

For instance, I was once playing this game of Zombies (if you're unfamiliar, it's like a board game version of every cliched zombie movie you've ever seen), and one of my fellow players was this girl I rather liked, and I purposefully moderated my actions to avoid harming her and even in the end helped her win (by countering counter-actions by opponents) in order to, I said, make the game end. (If you've never played this game, it's the kind of thing that goes on for hours. At that point, we were at 4.) All of this was, of course, so that she'd look a little bit more favorably upon me. Pathetic, eh?

Well, we live together now, so hey. Guess it worked.

All in all, I think female gamers are awesome, just as I more than appreciate female characters. I'm known amongst my D&D buddies as the one who has a balance of male and female characters (about 40/60, I think). My second most powerful and first favorite character is female, a rather fine lady who ended up marrying one of the other PCs, controlled by a good -- and male -- friend of mine. It was a love potion thing, not homoerotic repression.

You mentioned that one of your first characters was a "heavily armored male paladin." Do you find yourself playing mostly male characters, mostly female characters, or a balance of the two?

quote:
Do you think you'll end up doing anymore FR novels in the future? Or do you see yourself branching out into non-DnD fantasay writing? Or have you already written something I'm not familiar with?

I'll frame my responses so as not to spoil any surprise or, worse, call down the big bad NDA monsters. To three questions, three answers:

You can count on it. Absolutely. Written yes, published not yet.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 25 May 2005 00:05:58
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  01:51:36  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Was that perhaps because they were trying to impress you or get in good with you? I know that men sometimes have this urge (conscious or subconscious) to shelter women in games that are traditionally (and wrongly) considered "male-territory" in order to arouse admiration or even romantic feelings. Particularly at 15.

Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. If it was I quickly cured them of that idea by giving them heck for it one day after their attempts to 'protect' me nearly got the whole party killed. I got dropped to half hit points in one blow and then the lot of them dropped what they were doing and rushed to my aid. Never mind the fact that even down to half I had more HP than anyone else in the party. They got a talking to after that fight and I told them in no uncertain terms that they next time they tried something like that I'd find a suitable thwacky stick and hit them with it.

quote:

For instance, I was once playing this game of Zombies (if you're unfamiliar, it's like a board game version of every cliched zombie movie you've ever seen), and one of my fellow players was this girl I rather liked, and I purposefully moderated my actions to avoid harming her and even in the end helped her win (by countering counter-actions by opponents) in order to, I said, make the game end. (If you've never played this game, it's the kind of thing that goes on for hours. At that point, we were at 4.) All of this was, of course, so that she'd look a little bit more favorably upon me. Pathetic, eh?

Well, we live together now, so hey. Guess it worked.

Nah, it's not pathetic at all. Congrats, by the way.

quote:
You mentioned that one of your first characters was a "heavily armored male paladin." Do you find yourself playing mostly male characters, mostly female characters, or a balance of the two?

Mm... early on that male paladin was rather unique, but the longer I've been playing the more male characters I've played. Over all it's about 50/50. My first character was female though, a NG halfing druid with a pet dire wolf she called, "Wuffie." I don't think there's anything better than having the bad guys laugh when you threaten to sic your Wuffie on them and then have their expressions become ones of absolute horror when said Wuffie turned out to be the size of a large horse.

quote:

I'll frame my responses so as not to spoil any surprise or, worse, call down the big bad NDA monsters. To three questions, three answers:

You can count on it. Absolutely. Written yes, published not yet.
[/quote]

NDA's... *sigh*

Now, here's an interesing question for you. Your novel is in the Fighter's series, do you have any preference in what sort of characters you like writing? Any particular class you find easy to get down on paper? Any you find difficult?

-Blue

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  05:53:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. If it was I quickly cured them of that idea by giving them heck for it one day after their attempts to 'protect' me nearly got the whole party killed. I got dropped to half hit points in one blow and then the lot of them dropped what they were doing and rushed to my aid. Never mind the fact that even down to half I had more HP than anyone else in the party. They got a talking to after that fight and I told them in no uncertain terms that they next time they tried something like that I'd find a suitable thwacky stick and hit them with it.

quote:
Nah it's not pathetic at all. Congrats, by the way.

Thanks!

quote:
Mm... early on that male paladin was rather unique, but the longer I've been playing the more male characters I've played. Over all it's about 50/50. My first character was female though, a NG halfing druid with a pet dire wolf she called, "Wuffie." I don't think there's anything better than having the bad guys laugh when you threaten to sic your Wuffie on them and then have their expressions become ones of absolute horror when said Wuffie turned out to be the size of a large horse.

Glorious. Nothing was more intimidating, though, than Boopsie the weasel, the 21st level wizard's familiar, who -- thanks to the familiar's ability to "share" self and personal-target spells -- when said wizard casts shapechange and becomes a wyrm silver dragon, turns right into another one right beside him.

quote:
Now, here's an interesing question for you. Your novel is in the Fighter's series, do you have any preference in what sort of characters you like writing? Any particular class you find easy to get down on paper? Any you find difficult?

Tough question. I love writing a good sword fight, so naturally I gravitate toward warriors, roguish duelist types, rangers, and paladins. I also rather like druids -- comes from always wanting to play one and never getting around to it -- and, of course thieves (my first AD&D character was a thief). My spell slingers usually end up being combat-oriented types (because that's how our campaigns often went).

This is an odd claim to make, but I'm also a big multiclass player / writer, so most of my characters don't conform to a single class, and I usually stat out characters as I go to keep their abilities consistent.

I don't find any class particularly difficult, but I suppose it'd be better to ask readers whether I write them convincingly.

To answer more succinctly, I have the most writing experience with fighters, rangers, rogues, and druids, and if I had a preference, it'd be for those four.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  09:05:39  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Glorious. Nothing was more intimidating, though, than Boopsie the weasel, the 21st level wizard's familiar, who -- thanks to the familiar's ability to "share" self and personal-target spells -- when said wizard casts shapechange and becomes a wyrm silver dragon, turns right into another one right beside him.

I wish I'd thought of that.

Weasels must be a popular animal because I've been in several groups that had one or more characters with either a weasel familiar or a weasel animal companion (or in one case, a halfing paladin whose special mount was a celestial dire weasel.)

quote:
Tough question. I love writing a good sword fight, so naturally I gravitate toward warriors, roguish duelist types, rangers, and paladins. I also rather like druids -- comes from always wanting to play one and never getting around to it -- and, of course thieves (my first AD&D character was a thief). My spell slingers usually end up being combat-oriented types (because that's how our campaigns often went).

This is an odd claim to make, but I'm also a big multiclass player / writer, so most of my characters don't conform to a single class, and I usually stat out characters as I go to keep their abilities consistent.

Makes sense. With the flexibility afforded by multiclassing you have more room to make characters in stories more realistic. Character end up changed in significant ways by their experiences, and that's reflected in what they know and what they can do.

This sword-fighting talk reminds me of something else. How long have you studied fencing and what do you think of saber? Feel free to let me know if my incessant queries are bothering you.

-Blue

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  17:21:57  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This sword-fighting talk reminds me of something else. How long have you studied fencing and what do you think of saber?

Not all that long, really. I've only had real training since January, to be honest, but my maestro has long referred to me as an exceptional student. Sword-play is just so fun.

I love saber. I'm working on getting my kid brother to take it up.

quote:
Feel free to let me know if my incessant queries are bothering you.

Bah!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000