Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2007 :  02:56:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree, though, it can be pretty hard to feel sexy when you are dirty, smelly, and afraid. Anyone who can feel sexy even under those circumstances...well, I give them credit.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2007 :  16:50:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wholehearted agreement here, folks -- on all sides.

I think Twilight goes pretty far through this novel, exposing varying angles of her personality and the way she copes with her situation.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2007 :  03:06:42  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When is Depths of Madness set? What are the dates over which the novel unfolds?

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2007 :  03:27:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No dates were specifically mentioned in DoM, as I recall. However, there were hints that this was a fairly "recent" novel, in terms of discussion between the characters.

I'd be curious to see whether Erik had a particular date/year plotted for DoM actually.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2007 :  03:37:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm generally all about dating things, but Depths of Madness was purposefully note date-marked because the characters have very little way of keeping track of time (other than, as Twilight points out, knowing roughly when it's midnight) -- they don't know how long they've been down there, in the dark.

For reference, however, the novel takes place roughly throughout the month of Nightal of 1374. The webstory ("That Time of the Tenday," which takes place before DoM) is date-marked once as Uktar 1374.

There's some flex-time as to actual specific days of the month for the novel. I see the last day presented in the novel as Hammer the first, 1375--a new year, a new Twilight.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2007 :  10:47:12  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edit ... the note i wrote beforehand didn't actually suit the character. Mea culpa and never mind

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 25 May 2007 10:49:12
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2007 :  06:15:05  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I have a few mostly minor questions, that, if you don't mind, could use some answering. Here they go:

-What does the Elven term "Mahri" mean? (Depths of Madness, Pg. 40)
-What does the Elven term "Thareea" mean? (Depths of Madness, Pg. 66)
-What does the Elven phrase "Gys Sa Salen" mean (Depths of Madness, Pg. 272)
-What, word for word, does Nar'Talas (Locklimb Poison) mean, and could you tell us a little about this poison?

-Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2007 :  17:53:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-I have a few mostly minor questions, that, if you don't mind, could use some answering.

So they could!

Before I go into this, note that I am *not* the expert when it comes to Realms Elvish, and certainly not Elvish in general. (I do better at Gol-kaa, actually. As far as translations go, most of the phrases found in DoM come straight from Races of Stone.) My answers should not be taken as canonical--the good folks at Wizards may have a different translation. I can only give you roughly what I intended.

Also, it should be noted that Elvish isn't strictly parallel with the Common tongue, much less English. The best answers to these questions are in describing the concept behind the words.

quote:
-What does the Elven term "Mahri" mean? (Depths of Madness, Pg. 40)

It means, loosely, "mage-fiend." It comes from mah-, which is something to do with magic, and -ri, which I interpret as something to do with fiendishness (as in feyri, which would be "fey-fiend").

quote:

This is a question more appropriately directed toward Ed Greenwood, who outlined the answer to a series of questions about adventurer toiletries in one of his Questions scrolls, of (I think) 2006, or possibly late 2005. Thareea (which isn't necessarily from Elvish) are easily cleaned, reusable cloths adventurers often carry in Realmsian dungeons for cleanliness purposes.

(Am I going to be this delicate about this? Ok--what the hells? They use them as wipes.)

quote:
-What does the Elven phrase "Gys Sa Salen" mean (Depths of Madness, Pg. 272)

This would mean "I need a drink," or "give me a drink," which you'd say in that kind of hung-over, dizzy frame of mind.

quote:
-What, word for word, does Nar'Talas (Locklimb Poison) mean, and could you tell us a little about this poison?

The nar'talas is a rare type of centipede found on Evermeet (its name can be translated as: "stone-body," "frozen-soul," "statue-form," or something similar; "nar" = immovable/eternal/stone, "talas" = body/soul/self), known for its paralytic venom, which when extracted and condensed forms a powerful toxin that renders humanoids rigid as statues for a brief time.

As far as game stats, I recommend the following: injury, Fort DC 19; initial effect: paralysis for 2d6 rounds; secondary effect: paralysis for 2d6 minutes; price 250 gp.

Long term exposure to this venom (say, 10 poisonings or more) builds up a resistance in a body, giving a creature +4 on saves to resist its effects.

"Locklimb" is Twilight's own translation of the word nar'talas. It isn't flowery or poetic like the other possible translations of the word--doesn't talk about the body as a concept of a sacred thing--only the brute physical "limb." She uses it particularly because it's something of a vulgar translation; some elves who hear it crinkle up their noses a little (which never fails to amuse 'Light).

The effect is parallel to someone from Japan talking about his ancestral katana (which represents his soul) as a "big knife" in order to offend traditional Japanese.

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2007 :  21:44:38  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello again!

Was there a special reason that the Elven lass got "Fox" instead of "Vixen" ... i.e. one that might be revealed later on in another novel? Perhaps alongside her reason why she is so at odds with Erevan?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2007 :  00:48:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

This is a question more appropriately directed toward Ed Greenwood, who outlined the answer to a series of questions about adventurer toiletries in one of his Questions scrolls, of (I think) 2006, or possibly late 2005. Thareea (which isn't necessarily from Elvish) are easily cleaned, reusable cloths adventurers often carry in Realmsian dungeons for cleanliness purposes.

(Am I going to be this delicate about this? Ok--what the hells? They use them as wipes.)
See both of Ed's '06 replies for January 23rd and and February 8th.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2007 :  14:59:02  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Why, thank you. I feel so enlightened now!

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2007 :  15:07:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Was there a special reason that the Elven lass got "Fox" instead of "Vixen" ... i.e. one that might be revealed later on in another novel?

Good question! And one that I shan't be able to answer. Though I might hint that it has something to do with where the title came from--which wasn't Twilight's head (or that of any elf, for that matter).

(Ahem. Or I might not hint that. )

quote:
Perhaps alongside her reason why she is so at odds with Erevan?

If and when I write more about Twilight, it's a pretty good bet that I will explain at least *some* more about her relationship with Erevan and the church thereof.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2007 :  15:11:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Bet we thought I just made 'em up, eh?

Ed's Q&A thread is one of the best available resources for Realmslore.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2007 :  15:38:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Bet we thought I just made 'em up, eh?
Well, I knew you didn't just make up "Thareea" because I remembered Ed's replies from last year -- or rather, the Lady K remembered and she reminded me.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2007 :  17:32:44  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Little known fact: I also confirmed Ed's intention as regards the co-rulers of Elversult before I wrote "The Greater Treasure" from reading his thread.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2007 :  18:15:29  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik,

Just wondering what is keeping you busy these days?

I am a bit out of the loop here, we have 23 days until
"junior" arrives(our 2nd child) and it has been a
difficult pregnancy to say the least. All is well now,
but I have not had the time to spend at the Keep as I
usually do for several months.

Loved Depths. As long as you keep growing as an author the way you have been, I can't wait for your next Realms foray.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2007 :  18:20:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Erik,

Just wondering what is keeping you busy these days?

Well met again, Walker! Good to see you.

I've been writing a non-Realms-related fantasy novel called "Whisper," which I am currently shopping around to agents/editors. Also the sequel, which is called "Faceless."

quote:
I am a bit out of the loop here, we have 23 days until
"junior" arrives(our 2nd child) and it has been a
difficult pregnancy to say the least. All is well now,
but I have not had the time to spend at the Keep as I
usually do for several months.

Congratulations!

quote:
Loved Depths. As long as you keep growing as an author the way you have been, I can't wait for your next Realms foray.

Thank you much, and neither can I, really.

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  23:38:12  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met indeed friend!

quote:

I've been writing a non-Realms-related fantasy novel called "Whisper," which I am currently shopping around to agents/editors. Also the sequel, which is called "Faceless."

Very cool! Keep flexing those writing muscles. Can't wait to hear that they have been picked up!

quote:

Congratulations!

Thank You! We are quite excited with the impending arrival of our "Miracle Baby"

quote:
Thank you much, and neither can I, really.

Anything cooking on the FR stovetop for you?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  21:46:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It all depends on if/when they've got space. I'd love to write for them if/when they do, of course!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  12:56:21  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It all depends on if/when they've got space. I'd love to write for them if/when they do, of course!

Cheers

We will keep our fingers crossed that it happens soon!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  14:59:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll just hint at it again . . . more reviews of my already-published work won't hurt that process . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  16:15:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blast! I'd forgotten it again. Sorry Erik.

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Sep 2007 16:16:44
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  16:13:49  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look who's sneaking up on # 1000.

I suppose your gonna want a fancy new title eh?

I am sure that we Scribes can think of one that is appropos.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  16:21:56  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gasp! I hadn't realized!

On the one hand, I feel honored to be a guest so long--on the other, I wonder if I need to get a life. (j/k, all you wonderful scribes! Lots a love. )

quote:

You mean like "Garrulous FR Author"?

Perhaps "Resident Disciple of Baalzebul"?

Or "Founder and President, Fox-at-Twilight fan club"?

(although I wonder if that's one true . . .)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  16:29:33  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Gasp! I hadn't realized!

On the one hand, I feel honored to be a guest so long--on the other, I wonder if I need to get a life. (j/k, all you wonderful scribes! Lots a love. )

quote:

You mean like "Garrulous FR Author"?

Perhaps "Resident Disciple of Baalzebul"?

Or "Founder and President, Fox-at-Twilight fan club"?

(although I wonder if that's one true . . .)

Cheers

I was thinking
Forgotten Realms Author
and Man Handler of Ed's Stalkers

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  16:38:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was thinking
Forgotten Realms Author

That a greatsword in your pocket, or you just happy to see me?

Ahem.

And my title for that episode would be "Devoted Defender."

Or "Assassin," depending on how far you take my LE-streak. :D

Seriously though, I just did what needed doing. The guy was creeping out everyone and doing/saying some inappropriate sorts of things. Just not cool. No blood shed--it pays to have ranks in intimidate and a small charisma bonus.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  16:42:37  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I was thinking
Forgotten Realms Author

That a greatsword in your pocket, or you just happy to see me?

Ahem.

And my title for that episode would be "Devoted Defender."

Or "Assassin," depending on how far you take my LE-streak. :D

Seriously though, I just did what needed doing. The guy was creeping out everyone and doing/saying some inappropriate sorts of things. Just not cool. No blood shed--it pays to have ranks in intimidate and a small charisma bonus.

Cheers

Ok how about

Defender of the Faith

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  16:52:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok how about
"Defender of the Faith"

With what we've all got on the brain and since Ed is the Realms and the Realms is shifting, that implies I'm some kind of 4e apologist/advocate.

To which I'll say: Have faith, all! Not that I know anything about it--'cuz I don't--but I think it will be great.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  20:14:30  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ok how about
"Defender of the Faith"

With what we've all got on the brain and since Ed is the Realms and the Realms is shifting, that implies I'm some kind of 4e apologist/advocate.

To which I'll say: Have faith, all! Not that I know anything about it--'cuz I don't--but I think it will be great.

Cheers

Wow....I'm shocked.

For A Tiefling that sounded rather Paladinish

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  20:22:23  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For A Tiefling that sounded rather Paladinish

Hey, if I couldn't pretend to be LG, I wouldn't deserve all those ranks in Bluff, would I?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000