Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Sands of the Soul - *Spoiler Here*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fyrespray
Acolyte

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2005 :  21:33:50  Show Profile  Visit Fyrespray's Homepage Send Fyrespray a Private Message  Delete Topic
Just finished reading this book and I would have to say that I was fairly dissapointed with it. Tazi does a lot of running around but doesn't really accomplish anything and in the end Ceridor (can't remember spelling off the top of my head, but you know who i mean) is killed by his goddess after Fannah is killed while Tazi pretty much stands about and does nothing except get hit a coule of times.

I guess it just seemed like Tazi went on a little journey and watch things happen around her with little input herself, I was kind of hoping to see her shape her own future and the future of those around her rather than seem like a bystander who just watches whats going on.

Also, where does Fannah's mother fit into this, was she just brought in for the sake of it? Don't get me wrong the story kept me reading and it was well written, it just didn't seem to go anywhere.

Ah well on to the final book in the series, the rest have been a wonderful read so I have high hopes for the last one even if Sand of the Soul seemed to be a bit of a hiccup.

Anybody else got opinions, or maybe noticed something that I missed that would make it all click together :)

Fyrespray
http://www.ardescosolutions.com
http://www.lazeryattack.com

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2005 :  23:37:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
I wasn't too happy with this book, myself. I wasn't very impressed with the villian (talking to oneself--and by extension, the reader--is an incredibly corny thing for anyone to do), I didn't find Steorf to be that interesting a side character, and the book didn't make me feel like I was in Calimshan. Tazi spends most of her time traipsing the dismal tunnels of Ibrandul. :-/

The book was very different in tone from the rest of the books in the Sembia series, and not in a good way, IMO. However, I *liked* it that Tazi didn't necessarily accomplish her goal in the end. That geniunely surprised me, which most of the book didn't really do. It's a *good* thing when the heroine doesn't always win and get exactly what she wants.

Eh. But I did very much enjoy Tazi's follow up book, The Crimson Gold.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 07 Feb 2005 23:38:34
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2005 :  05:42:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fyrespray
Anybody else got opinions, or maybe noticed something that I missed that would make it all click together :)

This might be a thread to see some opinions on the novel.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 08 Feb 2005 05:50:14
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2005 :  09:37:28  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Fyrespray

This might be a thread to see some opinions on the novel.

Well met

Thank ye, Sirius. I will lock this scroll and allow discussion to continue therein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly