Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Now what to read...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  01:21:28  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I finished Finder's Stone. Read Mascarade. I just dunno where to go from here.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  01:25:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, what have you read thus far, what do you have that you've not yet read, and are you planning on buying more to read, or reading what's on hand?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  01:40:28  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have almost all the Realms novels. :)

Everything Drizzt.
Everything Ed... unless he wrote Simbul's Gift
Almost everything Elaine, except Starlight series
Finder's series
Return of the Archwizards
War of the Spider Queen
Rogue Dragons
Last Mythal
Baldur's Gate series *grown*

I was thinking of either reading..

Lost Empires
Cleric Quintent
Threat from the Sea

or possibly punishing myself with...

The Glass Prison *snickers*

Would Threat from the Sea have any good backstory info for Waterdeep?

Edited by - SirUrza on 25 Jan 2005 19:52:45
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  03:53:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

I have almost all the Realms novels. :)

Everything Drizzt.
Everything Ed... unless he wrote Simbul's Gift
Almost everything else, except Starlight series
Finder's series
Return of the Archwizards
War of the Spider Queen
Rogue Dragons
Last Mythal
Baldur's Gate series *grown*

Lost Empires
Cleric Quintent
Threat from the Sea

Would Threat from the Sea have any good backstory info for Waterdeep?

By Finder's series, are you referring to the Finder's Stone trilogy, or the Finder's Stone trilogy and books 1 and 3 of the Lost Gods trilogy? If you just finished Masquerade but haven't read Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck, then those two are what I'd recommend.

I'm almost willing to bet that Ed didn't Simbul's Gift. I've never bothered with that one, so I don't know who wrote it...

Some of the Lost Empires books are good. Threat From the Sea was interesting. Not good enough to write home about, but not all that bad, either. I don't recall much about Waterdeep in there, but then again, I've not read those books since the third one came out.

I enjoyed the Cleric Quintet, so I'd recommend that one, of the ones you've got listed (after books 1 and 3 of the Lost Gods, of course. And before you ask, book 2 was a Dragginglance novel that wasn't great and simply introduced the kender that's in book 3. You can easily skip that one, and miss next to nothing.)

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Jan 2005 03:56:30
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  04:20:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I'm almost willing to bet that Ed didn't Simbul's Gift. I've never bothered with that one, so I don't know who wrote it...

Lynn Abbey is the author for that novel. I tried to read it once, couldn't finish it.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  09:00:49  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Lynn Abbey is the author for that novel. I tried to read it once, couldn't finish it.

What didn't you like about the novel, Sirius? I was considering reading this soon (once i've finished Tymora's Luck which I started a few days back based on Wooly's recommendation after I recently finished Finder's Bane. It better be good Wooly!! )

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  11:18:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

What didn't you like about the novel, Sirius? I was considering reading this soon (once i've finished Tymora's Luck which I started a few days back based on Wooly's recommendation after I recently finished Finder's Bane. It better be good Wooly!! )

If you liked the Finder's Stone books, you'll like books 1 and 3 of the Lost Gods. It's the same authors, and it's more about Finder...

And look at the stuff we have in Tymora's Luck: wandering about on the planes, deities, their plots and plights, a kender in a Realms novel, and brief appearances by Volo, the Wyvernspur children, and Mirt the Moneylender... What's not to love?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Jan 2005 11:22:19
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  12:29:39  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmm. Threat from the Sea is... adequate; I can't stand the main characters, but it features some fairly interesting (and new) things, as well as a decent villain and a not-quite-villain (yay Laqueel). The Cleric Quintet is an author's early work, I believe, and it shows.
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  13:49:57  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lost Empires
Cleric Quintent
Threat from the Sea

Oh c'mon now. There are several worse FR novels than The Glass Prison. It's actually a decent read. It's no masterpiece by any means, but the pace is fast and it doesn't get bogged down with escessive amounts of meaningless text. I finished it in a couple days and was pleased with it.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  16:46:14  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
What didn't you like about the novel, Sirius?

It's been too long since I tried to read the novel to recall specifics. I do remember that it just seemed too disorganized for this reader.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  19:55:34  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm meant "Almost everything Elaine, except Starlight series" not Almost everything else. Damn, I need to sleep more. :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  22:53:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm meant "Almost everything Elaine, except Starlight series" not Almost everything else. Damn, I need to sleep more. :)

Sleep? What is this thing, sleep?

Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  23:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wwwwwww

quote:

Lost Empires
Cleric Quintent
Threat from the Sea

Oh c'mon now. There are several worse FR novels than The Glass Prison. It's actually a decent read. It's no masterpiece by any means, but the pace is fast and it doesn't get bogged down with escessive amounts of meaningless text. I finished it in a couple days and was pleased with it.

Of course there are, and everytime I think about
Once around the realms
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  02:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Sleep? What is this thing, sleep?

That's where you close your eyes and pretend to be dead for the next 8 hours or so.

SirUrza, you could try reading some of the more recently publised novels, ie, the Sapphire Cresent, the Ruby Gardian, the Rite, Sembia Series, or if your really desperate for something to read just go to the local library and grab whatever jumps out from the shelves at you.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  05:28:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

SirUrza, you could try reading some of the more recently publised novels, ie, the Sapphire Cresent, the Ruby Gardian, the Rite, Sembia Series, or if your really desperate for something to read just go to the local library and grab whatever jumps out from the shelves at you.

I dunno... It's hard to read books when they're jumping around.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  12:36:14  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lina

I dunno... It's hard to read books when they're jumping around.

Wooly, are you saying you've not even mastered the simplest of cantrips to stop them doing that? Shame on you!

Anyway, I'd suggest either the Cleric Quintet or Starlight and Shadows, the latter being something I want to get round to reading at some point.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  17:01:05  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are the ones I'm leaning toward myself Reefy.

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  19:31:07  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though I did like reading The Threat from the Sea.I would read The Cleric Quintet.I enjoyed Cadderly and Co.Sir Urza if you have read everything Drizzt.Then you know of the Bouldershoulder Brothers.This is where they are introduced.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  04:54:48  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I kinda figured that. Are they as amusing there as they are in Hunters Blades?

Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  02:53:15  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I kinda figured that. Are they as amusing there as they are in Hunters Blades?

I'd say so, especially the Bouldershoulder brothers. They're hilarious! I enjoyed that series; it was the first FR books I'd read. The "Year of Rogue Dragons" books are really good but Book III is over a year away. ::grumble:: I'm in the middle of the Druidhome Trilogy. Book II is reading slower, so far, than Book I.

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  19:31:15  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest Sir.I thought they were much more funny in the Cleric Quintet because there was more of them in The Quintet.They were in five books.So they kind of grow from book one to five.Especially Pikel.Ivan's the same miserable dwarf throughout,but very funny nonetheless.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2005 :  03:08:11  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

To be honest Sir.I thought they were much more funny in the Cleric Quintet because there was more of them in The Quintet.They were in five books.So they kind of grow from book one to five.Especially Pikel.Ivan's the same miserable dwarf throughout,but very funny nonetheless.

Yup. It's pretty funny how they can sneak up on someone while yelling, kicking, biting, beating each other up and making all sorts of other ruckus in the process.... Oh, let's not forget all the squabbling the brothers do. Funny.

They're basically an antithesis to the more serious Cadderly.

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  01:21:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the Starlight and Shadows series was very well written and poignant.

And I agree that it'd be a good idea to give some of the newer books a read, as well. The Rogue Dragons books are a delight, as was the intense Venom's Taste (second book comes out soon!).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  02:42:03  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
as was the intense Venom's Taste (second book comes out soon!).

Yes it does come out soon. I started a reread last night of the first book in this series in anticipation of the upcoming release.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000