Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2005 :  13:30:28  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met! Garen, Eric, George... would any of you hazard a guess where were those Orvan settlers originally from? Jhaamdath, perhaps, or Netheril?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2005 :  15:22:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey all,

Keep the questions coming. I apologize for the delay in answering, but I'm snowed under with writing deadlines. I will get to them in due course.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  13:16:05  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Mr. Eric.

First of all, I want to thank you for the good work that you made in the Realms. I´m expecting the moment of CoS came to Brazilian shores...

Well, I just finish to re-read the Powers and Pantheons tome (excelent book) and, in Lurue´s entry, I fall in love with the Knights of the Unicorn! (page 39) I want to know if Javalar and his group received some development in some other tome, or if you have some "idea" of the whereabouts and goals of the group. I´m thinking in use some of them (maybe Penegala Sashenstar) in a current campaign, and any bit of information will be apreciated. And, you have developed the Crown of Joy and Tears? Can you give me the stats of that item?

Thanks

Yuri "Chosen of Moradin" Peixoto

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  23:53:25  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Eric,
I have two questions to You, this time concerning Beshaba:

1. In 2nd edition Faiths & Avatars there is a description of Beshaban funeral - the Passing. It is said there that the body of dead Beshaban cleric is being floated down the river amid floating candles. I would like to know if the body is either being put on a draft or is it thrown into the river just like that?

2. Would You be so kind to spare me some additional info on the Black Fingers' assassins? Anything would be useful since there is so little about them in the sourcebook. I would also like to create a Black Finger assassin prestige class so some guidelines would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  15:36:58  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

Like I said in the other thread, I run a campaign based in Waterdeep (it started in november 2004) and the main plot is the return of the Shadows thiefs in the city operated by Marune.

Currently the PCs are trying to create an alliance between the Shadows thiefs and the Skullport chapter of the Dark Dagger against the Xanathar..

You can imagine I was quite surprised when I first saw the Waterdeep excerpt on the WOTC web site ;)

Reading this excellent supplement, I got some questions :

1) In the Shadow thieves entry, you talk about two special item : the Book of Vaught and the Mask of Andrathath, are they detailled somewhere ?

2) In this same entry, it is said that the Shadows thieves have struck a deal with the Shades, I would really like to know more about this, how it was be done, how typical Mask worshipers deal with all this Shar stuff, at which point in the time line would you say that some members have been turned into Shades (let's say Black Viper), etc..

3) In 2E City of Splendors, the fencer Alek Lenter (owner of the "Waukeen's ware" pawn shop and a wharehouse near the "Thirty Throat" tavern) was a member of the Shadows Thiefs and he was playing with the Xanathar guild too. Why did you choose to ignore him in your Shadow thiefs entry?

Thanks for any answers to these questions :)

Edited by - Skeptic on 16 Jul 2005 02:39:27
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  10:19:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

1) In the Shadow thieves entry, you talk about two special item : the Book of Vaught and the Mask of Andrathath, are they detailled somewhere ?
I can't recall the source for the 'Book of Vaught', but 'Andrathath's Mask' is detailed in the 2e Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves accessory.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  14:32:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

I can't recall the source for the 'Book of Vaught', but 'Andrathath's Mask' is detailed in the 2e Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves accessory.

It's Vauth, or should be. He was an apprentice of the wizard known as the Masked.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  06:16:28  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it is the Books of Vauth and Pages from the mages gives two uniques spells from it in the description of another spellbook. (Both spells are Encrypt and Secure)

But maybe there is a more complete source (original?) on these books..

Edited by - Skeptic on 17 Jul 2005 06:16:46
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  21:06:15  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail, Eric! I have derived mickle enjoyment from your books.

I am puzzled by one glaring absence among the Mulhorandi panthon: Ptah. Ptah is worshipped as a Greater or Intermediate Power by spacers and Earthlings, but he seems not to be worshipped at all on the surface of Toril. Why not? Can he grant spells on Toril, given that he presumably has worshippers within the crystal sphere of Realmspace?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  21:23:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I am puzzled by one glaring absence among the Mulhorandi panthon: Ptah. Ptah is worshipped as a Greater or Intermediate Power by spacers and Earthlings, but he seems not to be worshipped at all on the surface of Toril. Why not? Can he grant spells on Toril, given that he presumably has worshippers within the crystal sphere of Realmspace?

Powers & Pantheons explains this. He decided to have no influence in Realmspace.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  00:26:55  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Powers & Pantheons explains this. He decided to have no influence in Realmspace.

Thanks, Kuje. I reread the introduction to their pantheon (it's been a while!). That explains why Ptah was not worshipped by the Mulan on Toril, but it doesn't mention his extra-Torilean influence in Realmspace (or lack of same). I'm still wondering if Ptah can grant spells within the crytal sphere and now, my memory refortified by P&P, I wonder whether he discourages worship of himself on Toril. The original contraints on the two pantheons are now gone and he can now act there with a truly divine dignity (instead of having to work through a meat puppet). If one of his clerics from Earth or from space set up a temple to Him on Toril, would He grant spells and make Himself known?

(Yes, yes, I know, "Not for humans is knowledge of the doings of the gods," but I'm seeking the knowledge of DMs here, not the puny knowldege of ordinary humans.)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  00:57:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm moving this question to here, since it appears to be aimed at Eric Boyd.

quote:

Eric, I have been given to understand that in Dragon #198 Skip Willimans answered a query regarding Deneirath language ability. Is that clarification incorporated into 3E Faiths and Avatars (or is it even relevant in third edition?).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  01:02:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just about to do that but I was trying to figure out how to.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
952 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  01:42:31  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those interested in Ptah, I'll post my old write-up of him and how he fits in the Realms and Reamspace.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  01:53:53  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

For those interested in Ptah, I'll post my old write-up of him and how he fits in the Realms and Reamspace.

Thanks, Tom.

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  19:29:33  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I give Ed Greenwood a break and see if Eric might know this...

Could you tell me more about the noble families of Waterdeep? Especially which ones might have Planetouched and Elven cousins. Or those that might take up the cause of a god such as Finder Wyvernspur.

Thanks.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  23:09:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Could you tell me more about the noble families of Waterdeep? Especially which ones might have Planetouched and Elven cousins. Or those that might take up the cause of a god such as Finder Wyvernspur.

Thanks.

You might want to ask Steven Schend, as well. Waterdeep has been a playground of his in the past.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2005 :  06:47:59  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

Got a question about Huntmistress Dhusarra yr Fadila el Abhuk originally of Undermountain: The Lost Levels, that you used in your Blood of Malar adventure in Dungeon #126.

She was originally a Ftr11/Clr14 and you have her a Ftr4/Clr9, shouldn't she be a Ftr4/Clr14 at the very least?
Or was the level picked to make her appropriate for the adventure?

Thanks

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2005 :  18:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Eric,

Got a question about Huntmistress Dhusarra yr Fadila el Abhuk originally of Undermountain: The Lost Levels, that you used in your Blood of Malar adventure in Dungeon #126.

She was originally a Ftr11/Clr14 and you have her a Ftr4/Clr9, shouldn't she be a Ftr4/Clr14 at the very least?

Thanks

I trust in Eric's number-crunching vastly more than my own, so I'd say he adjusted things to fit CR and the new way of looking and statting / balancing vampires (including the Libris Mortis stuff as well, which is new).

Me, I'm just mildly annoyed that the artist of the DUNGEON piece made her a caucasian woman instead of her actual darker skin tone.

Steven
Who'd love to see Dhusarra in an FR movie played by the lovely Gina Torres (Zoe from FIREFLY/SERENITY)

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2005 :  22:15:01  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Aye, the new art for her was nice, but too light in skin tone. As to Gina Torres, I think she might be a bit too dark. To me Monica Bellucci from (The Dr, Tears of the Sun or Persephone, Matrix) would be about the right look as far as complexion goes.

Edit: Just had a thought, she might have been made so pale, because of being a vampire maybe.

As to the levels, I can understand the downgrade due to CR contraints for the adventure, but otherwise.... just feels like we are giving the short end of the stick when it comes to her divine powers.

News of the Weird

Edited by - warlockco on 17 Aug 2005 22:23:15
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  03:08:35  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eric,

Thanks

I picked a level appropriate for the adventure.

In general, I'm a giant fan of Realmslore consistency, but I don't think that should apply to mechanics between settings.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  03:12:12  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Thanks.

City of Splendors (2e) has a great deal of info about the noble families of Waterdeep. The Waterdeep WE might include some more info as well.

Only one family has acknowledged elven descendants ... House Dezlyntyr (sp?). At least one other has unacknowledge elven ancestry. See "Dream Spheres" for more info and a discussion about why non-humans are so rare.

A few families have feats like Snake Blood or Dragonblood appearing occasionally. Again, possibly included in the Waterdeep WE.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  04:40:11  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Eric,

Thanks

I picked a level appropriate for the adventure.

In general, I'm a giant fan of Realmslore consistency, but I don't think that should apply to mechanics between settings.

--Eric

Okay,
Thanks Eric

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  08:43:40  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric,

This reaches back to Faiths and Pantheons. I just noticed something in the web enhancement that strangely never occured to me before. For all of the gods listed as having an order of monks, Helm is not among them. That isn't a colossal problem, becuase that in general means just that a monk that is a member of the church of Helm is fairly rare and not a specific member of an order. While I can easily picture a monk of Helm being a member of the Everwatch Knights (in fact, one in my campaign is a member of them), I was just wondering if there was a particular reason that Helm didn't have a monk order, or if you just decided that every god shouldn't have one and you drew the line at Helm . . . or maybe that was Mona's gig, lol.

At any rate, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter, and thanks in advance for your time.
Go to Top of Page

Kerby
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2005 :  13:43:17  Show Profile  Visit Kerby's Homepage Send Kerby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any news on the post I made a while back? I'd still be interested to find out the answer.

Cheers - Kerby

www.narfell.com (a Neverwinter Nights Persistant World)
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
194 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2005 :  12:55:23  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Eric
and Hello to everyone else as this is my first post on these boards.

Could it be that there is an error in City of Splendors: Waterdeep? (pg129)
It states that Halasters apprentice Arcturia turned into "a vile form of undead" / "worm that walks" after her death. First, the worm that walks is no undead creature but an ooze (the book entry offers the lich as an option to the worm that walks).
And why should Arcturia, the mage who painstrikingly recreated herself into an deathly-beautiful half-fey creature, take steps to rise as apile of worms? After all, she changed herself to get Halaster fall in love with her.
I would have guessed that she would use her singel 8th lev, spell to "clone" herself. It's much safer than the risky non-epic version of the worm ritual. She might be insane, but not that insane?

Lirdolin
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2005 :  01:44:47  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric- I have a question about the arena in Waterdeep, since it is not well described in the new book- Are there gladiatorial fights there? Are they to death? How well do the age of worms gladiator modules fit into the usual FR uses of the arena?

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2005 :  22:31:42  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

Do you think that realmslore about Teshar might be publised by the wizards in a near future?

/Webmanus

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  00:23:58  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

Eric- I have a question about the arena in Waterdeep, since it is not well described in the new book- Are there gladiatorial fights there? Are they to death? How well do the age of worms gladiator modules fit into the usual FR uses of the arena?

I think it's a little bit of a stretch from Waterdeep's Field of Triumph to the Age of Worms gladiatorial arena. I see the former as more of a arena for civic celebrations, and less a site of regular gladiatorial combats. That said, I see no reason why you can't shade it more towards the Age of Worms conception if you are playing the Age of Worms in the Realms. When my conversion notes for the Champion's Belt are published, you'll see how I suggest doing it.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  00:25:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by webmanus

Hi Eric,

Do you think that realmslore about Teshar might be publised by the wizards in a near future?

/Webmanus

I'm not aware of any upcoming Realmslore on Teshar in the near future, which is not to say that there won't be any, but I doubt it.

--Eric

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 11 Sep 2005 05:14:53
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000