Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  05:09:18  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Eric, Malkizid is a fallen Solar. Do you know why he Fell?

He was hanging out with bad kids, and succumbed to peer pressure. Your mom was right about that stuff, you know...

Malzikid sat too close to the television and his face "got stuck like that." Let this be a lesson to ye....

Either that or it was the clove cigarettes of the Aryvandarran....

SES

It was Rap music. Too much gangsta rap.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  16:24:02  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Wooly,

I realized I missed your question. To answer it more broadly:

Given that the real Garagos is all but erased (the Netherese war god Targus took his portfolio among the Chondathan diaspora and adopted his name), we really knew nothing about the Jhaamdathan gods before the release of Faiths & Pantheons. Murdane, Auppenser, Valigorn Thirdborn ... none of these are my creation, but they are welcome additions to the motley crew of Realms gods, as they give us the bones to begin reconstructing the Jhaamdath pantheon.

--Eric

Perhaps Jergal was part of the Jhaamdathan pantheon as well? The myth ´Knucklebones, skull bowling, and the empty throne' describes how Bane, Myrkul and Bhaal share most of his power among themselves. This myth also features Lady Luck (Tymora?) and Malar the Beastlord.

In Faith & Pantheons Borem of the Lake of Boiling Mud is mentioned as the deity whom Bane, Myrkul and Bhaal killed to ascend to godhood. They apparently slayed him with an artifact called ´the Jhaamdathan Dagger".
Borem is also mentioned in the original ´Pool of Radiance´-computer game, and with him also Maram of the Great Spear, Haask - Voice of Hargut, Tyranthraxus the Flamed One, and Camnod the Unseen. These entities bow before the might of Bane, and were described as either quasi-deities or powerful demon-lords (as it was also written as a ´myth´ it is a matter of interpration).

Another possible ´old´ deity is Shaundakul? And perhaps Moander (as he was worshipped as one of the Seven Lost Gods outside Westgate).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  16:45:24  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Congratulations on the marvelous, wonderful news of your new baby, Eric! Many blessings on your house!

I am intrigued by your idea of Valigan as son of Auppenser. It strikes me that as a god of thought Auppenser might have sired Murdane, goddess of Reason and Pragmatism, who might make for a good elder sibling to Valigan. I don't know if she was part of the Jhaamdathan pantheon or not, but it's an idea.

Welcome back to the forums! It's good have you back and hear that things are going so great for you!

I agree with you, Gray. I personally see Murdane as a more "likely" offspring for Auppenser, though it is possible that Valigan could be a "prodigal"/rebel son of Auppenser...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  16:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wooly,

I realized I missed your question. To answer it more broadly:

Given that the real Garagos is all but erased (the Netherese war god Targus took his portfolio among the Chondathan diaspora and adopted his name), we really knew nothing about the Jhaamdathan gods before the release of Faiths & Pantheons. Murdane, Auppenser, Valigorn Thirdborn ... none of these are my creation, but they are welcome additions to the motley crew of Realms gods, as they give us the bones to begin reconstructing the Jhaamdath pantheon.

--Eric

If Targus took his portfolio, did he also adopt his appearance? I am curious which of the war gods - Garagos or Targus - did originally appear as the six-armed, barbaric war god? I ask this because Targus is described in all the Realmslore I´ve come across, as being the six-armed war god, who later became known (and worshiped) as Garagos.

What did the original (real) Garagos look like, then? And if the name ´Garagos´ is older than ´Targus´, does this mean that there was a reason why Targus did this? (he surely must have had still worshippers among the survivor states after the Fall of Netheril).

Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  16:53:18  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question for both Eric and George since they worked on this stuff together.

Am i right in thinking that Uthtower and Yarlith were never part of Phalorm? But seperate and allied mainly illuskan countries?

What was the capital (and its location) of Phalorm?

What was the capital (and its location) of Yarlith?

Same thing for Delimbryan

I have a friend who wants to run one epic character in a campaign and I came up with an idea I really like, the character is a figher type.

In year 300 cy Two brothers Uth and Iniariv the princes of Uthtower go to kill a dragon, a big bad one, maybe Ashralandon with some colleagues. During the battle the cowardly Iniariv flees leaving his comrades to die. However Uth and his companions manage to kill the dragon, but all are killed and Uth lays dying of his mortal wounds.

Iniariv then returns to find his dying older brother, the only thing standing between him and the throne of Uthtower, and he decides to dispatch him. Howver being a mage of some power he knows his father is likely to resurrect Uth. So he resolves to trap him. He then treats his brothers wounds so he is no longer dying. Places a set of manacles that give a permanent mindblank on him (iniariv had been using these to hide his evil nature), and casts astral projection taking Uth to a far corner of the Astral plane where he is set adrift.

Since Uth is stabilized but unconscious and there is no natural healing on the astral he could float that way forever.

Now I still need to work out what happens with Uths equipment, if Iniariv just sells it It can be found with discern location. Maybe he is an epic caster and hides them all over faerun or just scatters them on the astral too.

So Uth floats on the astral for 1000 years or so until a Githyanki skiff comes upon him and decides to investigate. That is where the character wakes up, a penniless epic slave to the Githyanki. I'm thinking of having them sell him to the RWs and doind a gladiator type theme until he can escape.

Once he gets away he needs to recoup his equipment scattered all over faerun in dragon hoards etc....and to hunt down and kill Iniariv who is now a demi-lich in his tower in the mere of dead men.

or I was thinking of having Uth imprisoned (i.e. the spell) and being freed by adventurers to kill first a returned Ashralandon, and then Iniarv.

Anyways, hope you will read this, let me know what you think......
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  20:48:01  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One more thing-

I am going make it so the mere of dead men drains when Iniariv is killed. And put some legends in about when the prince returns Uthtower will be restored.

Something vague like the 'kingdom destroyed by the Utuk will rise out of the ashes, etc....' Some harpers will know this legend and mistakenly think it refers to Phalorm, which should cause some consternation. Assuming it is not nailed down in 1372 whether or not Uthtower was part of Phalorm. The harpers will offer to assist but think they are aiding in a reclamation of Phalorm, not just Uthtower, which will put the PC on the spot.

Since the royal weapon of Uthtower was a hammer of thunderbolts, I'm going to call it the kingdom of the hammer.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  00:44:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

I have a question for both Eric and George since they worked on this stuff together.

Am i right in thinking that Uthtower and Yarlith were never part of Phalorm? But seperate and allied mainly illuskan countries?

What was the capital (and its location) of Phalorm?

What was the capital (and its location) of Yarlith?

Same thing for Delimbryan

Howdy.

The history of Uthtower and how Yarlith came to be is detailed in Eric's "Eye of Myrkul" DUNGEON adventure. I can't recall the issue number off-hand but Kuje and/or Wooly and/or SB and/or the Sage and/or Faraer will no doubt be along directly to point you in the right direction.

You are correct in thinking that Uthtower and Yarlith were never part of Phalorm but they were allies.

The capital of Phalorm was Delimbiyran (the city) which subsequently also became the capital of Delimbiyran (the nation) also known as the Kingdom of Man. It's location is noted in "Lost Empires of Faerun" - it existed along the banks of the Delimbiyr River, near enough to Daggerford - I think it's ruins are also noted on the FR Interactive Atlas.

We never detailed the capital of Yarlith but confirmed that it wasn't Neverwinter (known in those days as Eigersstor) so pick a spot between the Mere of Dead Men and Neverwinter and put in some ruins!

As for your plot ideas, I'd sugget you track down Eric's DUNGEON article or Ed's "Wyrms of the North" piece on Voargamanthar (sp?) which should still be on the WotC FR website - they give you the historical grounding to come up with your campaign background piece.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  00:55:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The history of Uthtower and how Yarlith came to be is detailed in Eric's "Eye of Myrkul" DUNGEON adventure. I can't recall the issue number off-hand but Kuje and/or Wooly and/or SB and/or the Sage and/or Faraer will no doubt be along directly to point you in the right direction.

-- George Krashos

Issue #73

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  01:07:54  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like Dungeon 73 it is, thanks for the help....
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  01:44:09  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George- How much overlap is there between the timeling on Erics web site and the material in dungeon 73 before I buy it??

What did you guys think about the temporal stasis use of the Astral plane, is it a legit use of the rules.

Thanks guys, hope I'm not getting people too far off track from pestering Eric.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  02:38:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

-- George Krashos

Issue #73

Yes, it was Dungeon issue #73.

Sorry Kuje... ... But the Krash did say "and/or"... .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  02:47:58  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met!

Would Eric (or George) have any information on these subjects:

1) How the Vast Swamp in Cormyr/Sembia was formed? The evil nature of the place would indicate that perhaps the grells had something to do with it?

2) Who built the ancient ruins within the Vast Swamp(and when)? These ruins are marked on the map in Elminster´s Ecologies.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  03:38:29  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Well met!

Would Eric (or George) have any information on these subjects:

1) How the Vast Swamp in Cormyr/Sembia was formed? The evil nature of the place would indicate that perhaps the grells had something to do with it?

2) Who built the ancient ruins within the Vast Swamp(and when)? These ruins are marked on the map in Elminster´s Ecologies.

1) The initial formation of the Vast Swap is a combination of the flowing waters of the Darkflow and the type of earth that originally lay at that area of the foot of the Thunder Peaks (however, see below).

2) The ruins in the Vast Swamp are those of Orva, an ambitious minor kingdom that fell in roughly -725 DR after its mages created a faulty gate/portal which opened up to the Nine Hells and the ruin of Minauros, layer of swamps, mire and greed, spilled out onto the Material Plane (see Four from Cormyr for more on this).
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  05:07:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

George- How much overlap is there between the timeling on Erics web site and the material in dungeon 73 before I buy it??

What did you guys think about the temporal stasis use of the Astral plane, is it a legit use of the rules.

Thanks guys, hope I'm not getting people too far off track from pestering Eric.

The timeline matches Dungeon #73 seamlessly because, funnily enough, I wrote the timeline in consultation with Eric and he write "Eye of Myrkul" in consultation with me (and others). It's nice when a plan comes together!

Oh, and I know nothing about game rules - I know a bit about the Realms. So I'll let someone else answer you game mechanics/rules query.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  14:03:22  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

[quote] 1) The initial formation of the Vast Swap is a combination of the flowing waters of the Darkflow and the type of earth that originally lay at that area of the foot of the Thunder Peaks (however, see below).

2) The ruins in the Vast Swamp are those of Orva, an ambitious minor kingdom that fell in roughly -725 DR after its mages created a faulty gate/portal which opened up to the Nine Hells and the ruin of Minauros, layer of swamps, mire and greed, spilled out onto the Material Plane (see Four from Cormyr for more on this).

Well met, George!

Thanks a lot for this information I need to get my hands on that adventure, though I recall that it didn´t have much *ahem* "meat" on its bones...

If my memory serves me, I also remember that there is a short Dungeon module set in the Vast Swamp, which describes ruins of an ancient elven city within its murky depths (there was even a handout - an elven map of its capital). I guess Orva was an elven kingdom?

Hopefully you can bear with me, but would you have any information about Sissra, the half-elven princess, mentioned in FRA? (in Marsember entry)

Quote: "They also tell of Sissra, a half-elven princess who died four hundred years ago. Her corpse was laid in a slim riverboat with gold, gems, and magic arrayed about her. Set afire, it burned to the waterline while drifting in the Starmouth.
Searchers have never found it, but many believe Sissra's ashes and treasure lie beneath some old city warehouse, in the all-concealing mud."

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  00:29:05  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well met, George!
Garen. I'm Garen. He's George. The little guy's John.
quote:
Thanks a lot for this information I need to get my hands on that adventure, though I recall that it didn´t have much *ahem* "meat" on its bones...
Although it's not the most compelling or Realmslore-filled module, Four from Cormyr is plenty interesting.
quote:
If my memory serves me, I also remember that there is a short Dungeon module set in the Vast Swamp, which describes ruins of an ancient elven city within its murky depths (there was even a handout - an elven map of its capital). I guess Orva was an elven kingdom?
Careful now. There is an adventure set in the Vast Swamp in Dungeon #62. The problem is that the Vast Swamp in question is in Greyhawk, not Cormyr.

Orva was a human kingdom.
quote:
Hopefully you can bear with me, but would you have any information about Sissra, the half-elven princess, mentioned in FRA? (in Marsember entry)
None at all that I can share. I'll stop hijacking Eric's thread now.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  00:44:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As you can see, Garen Thal is our resident Cormyr expert - I defer to him in these matters, as well you should also! He and Ed have been cooking up some Cormyr lore over some time now - hopefully it'll see the light of day in an "official" sense sometime soon.

I'm the guy for questions on the North and Impiltur/the East.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  20:00:18  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Probably. I add the qualifier because I had to insert a little bit of Realmslore in Demihuman Deities in the write-up of Labelas Enoreth. (Look at the alias list.) This was to patch up the lack of a time portfolio among any human Realms god and because the only gods left to detail at the time were nonhuman gods.

quote:

I'll stop hijacking Eric's thread now.

Hijack away!

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  00:25:56  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

This was to patch up the lack of a time portfolio among any human Realms god and because the only gods left to detail at the time were nonhuman gods.
Hijack away!

--Eric

Strange. I was underneath the impression that Mystra had time added to her portfolio....hmm...I think I just read too many books.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  00:29:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra
Strange. I was underneath the impression that Mystra had time added to her portfolio....hmm...I think I just read too many books.

Mystryl and Amaunator oversaw time but no human deity has ever had that portfolio. The old Mystra also oversaw time but again didn't have the portfolio.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  19:53:22  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Well met, George!
Garen. I'm Garen. He's George. The little guy's John.[quote]Thanks a lot for this information I need to get my hands on that adventure, though I recall that it didn´t have much *ahem* "meat" on its bones...

Sorry, Garen... it seems my eyesight is finally failing me - too many hours of pouring through ancient, musty tomes in dark chambers lit by poor candles...

So, well met, Garen, and many thanks

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  20:14:24  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Although it's not the most compelling or Realmslore-filled module, Four from Cormyr is plenty interesting.

Certainly. Is not just as consistent with existing Realmslore (for example, the Thistle noble family) as I would like it to be. The part concerning the adventuring charters was intriguing, though.

quote:
Careful now. There is an adventure set in the Vast Swamp in Dungeon #62. The problem is that the Vast Swamp in question is in Greyhawk, not Cormyr.

Hmmm... I may be wrong here, but I am quite sure there was a module set in the "Cormyrean" Vast Swamp, in which the PCs had to deal with a lizardman shaman. Again, I may be wrong about this.

[quote]Orva was a human kingdom.

This is a bit puzzling. I thought Chondathan settlers were the first humans to found a kingdom in the Land of the Purple Dragon? Where did the people of Orva originally come from? Netheril?

Again, Garen, thank you for your answers. I promise to get new eyeglasses so I will never again confuse you with George

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  20:15:31  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Certainly. Is not just as consistent with existing Realmslore (for example, the Thistle noble family) as I would like it to be. The part concerning the adventuring charters was intriguing, though.

quote:

Hmmm... I may be wrong here, but I am quite sure there was a module set in the "Cormyrean" Vast Swamp, in which the PCs had to deal with a lizardman shaman. Again, I may be wrong about this.

[quote]Orva was a human kingdom.

This is a bit puzzling. I thought Chondathan settlers were the first humans to found a kingdom in the Land of the Purple Dragon? Where did the people of Orva originally come from? Netheril?

Again, Garen, thank you for your answers. I promise to get new eyeglasses so I will never again confuse you with George

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  20:20:10  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As you can see, Garen Thal is our resident Cormyr expert - I defer to him in these matters, as well you should also! He and Ed have been cooking up some Cormyr lore over some time now - hopefully it'll see the light of day in an "official" sense sometime soon.

I'm the guy for questions on the North and Impiltur/the East.

-- George Krashos

I certainly will I recall that the Sage of the Greenwood himself has spoken fondly of Garen on many occasions. My apologies to you also, George, for confusing you with Garen... maybe it is understandable considering that both your names start with ´G´, and both are known as very able loremasters

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  03:26:46  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Orva is pretty much "lost" as far as history goes; most people don't know or care much about it, and the nation didn't have any significant dealings with any of its neighbors (elven or otherwise). No one's really bothered to do much detailing of Orva because, frankly, it isn't all that important. Compared to the magical legacy of Netheril, the elven court of Cormyr's past, the absorbed kingdom of Esparin, and the sometimes-independent city states of Arabel and Marsember, the history of Orva is a little "meh." That isn't to say that certain sages haven't determined bits and pieces here and there--quite the opposite--but merely that Orva's fairly low on the list of priorities of Cormyrean Lore Subjects.

And not to worry about the name thing. People always mix me up with someone else. It's no bother at all.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  19:03:48  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Orva is pretty much "lost" as far as history goes; most people don't know or care much about it, and the nation didn't have any significant dealings with any of its neighbors (elven or otherwise). No one's really bothered to do much detailing of Orva because, frankly, it isn't all that important. Compared to the magical legacy of Netheril, the elven court of Cormyr's past, the absorbed kingdom of Esparin, and the sometimes-independent city states of Arabel and Marsember, the history of Orva is a little "meh." That isn't to say that certain sages haven't determined bits and pieces here and there--quite the opposite--but merely that Orva's fairly low on the list of priorities of Cormyrean Lore Subjects.

I agree that Orva´s legacy may be quite insignificant when compared to elves or Netheril. I think the only reference to it is in "Four from Cormyr"?
Still, it´d be nice to know more of it, especially if I am going to run the Mere of the Dead Men-series set in the Vast Swamp. I was planning to replace Yarlith/Myrmoran with Orva (or two of its "splinter kingdoms").

It is also possible that Orva was also founded by settlers from Jhaamdath...

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  12:27:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Might as well ask here.

There are at best some disagreement of if Eilistraee now permits male clerics due to the fact that the F&P information is silent concerning gender. Many prefer to default to 2nd Edition material to answer this question, some look at only 3rd material that does not definitively answer this question. There is implication that clerics are female because of wearing gowns and having long hair, however males can also do this.

What say you on this matter?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kerby
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  06:02:36  Show Profile  Visit Kerby's Homepage Send Kerby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There seems some minor contradictions in Faiths and Pantheons, 3ed. which our online community (http://www.narfell.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=22179) could use an assist. We are trying to figure out what deities are acceptable patrons for rangers. Page 90 of Faiths and Pantheons mentions the following list in the sidebar:
quote:
Following is the complete list of nature dieties in the FORGOTTEN REALMS campaign setting, Druids and rangers must select one of these deities as a patron. Druids whose favored weapon is not on the druid weapon list in the Player's Handbook are able to wield that kind of weapon without violating thier spiritual oaths, but they are not automatically proficient in that weapon's use. Deities noted as monster deities are detailed in the Monster Dieties table in the appendix.

Aerdrie Faenya, Angharradh, Anhur, Auril, Baervan Wildwanderer, Chauntea, Deep Sashelas, Eldath, Fenmarel Mestarine, Gwaerron Windstrom, Hiatea (monster diety), Isis, Lurue, Malar, Mielikki, Nobanion, Osiris, Rillifane Rallathil, Sebek, Segojan Earthcaller, Sekolah (monster diety), Sheela Peryroyl, Shiallia, Silvanus, Solonor Thelandira, Stronmaus (monster diety), Talona, Talos, Thard Harr, Ubtao, Ulutiu, Umberlee.

Yet over in page 8, on Granting Spells:
quote:
Most deities can grant spells the cleric spell list, the ranger spell list, and from three or more domains.

Does this mean that since most gods can grant ranger spells, that there are other gods, outside of the list on page 90, that can be the patron of rangers?

Also, I found a post over made by Purple Dragon Knight on Ed Greenwood's forums that had an extended listing. http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1901&whichpage=62 Is this an update from the source material?

Finally, there seems to be mention of a ranger order (the Order of the Shooting Star) who serves Mystra and seems to have her as thier patron (page 51)? Yet she is not in either listing of acceptable patrons. Could you clarify?

Cheers for your assistance, and thanks for a wealthsource of reference material which we try to stay true to in our Neverwinter Nights online game server.

www.narfell.com (a Neverwinter Nights Persistant World)
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  11:28:10  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

On the topic of the Talfir, I believe (iirc) that Krash mentioned you were instrumental in inserting bits and pieces of this topic into published Relamslore. Barring NDA's and such, what more 'unofficial' lore could you share.

Just two of the questions I have on the Talfir are:
- what level of technology/engineering did they have?
- with one of their cities under the canopy of the Reaching Wood, what was their relation with the forest?
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2005 :  07:07:23  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question from City of Splendors.
In the Organization Format discription is says that Associated Classes are in order of most common to least common. But as far as I can tell in the actually discriptions they're in alphabetical order. I guess my question is should these be errataed some how or should they just be read as most of the members are of these few classes?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000