Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Current Events in Silver Marches
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  21:13:25  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Could anyone updated me on the current situation in the Silver Marches in regards to the orcs and the events that took place in the Hunter's Blade Trilogy? I've not the time to read the books right now (besides I'm really behind on the Drizzt story).
I'd love just a quick summery of the war; and where and what the orcs are doing now. I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks.

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  21:29:12  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hunter's Blades takes place in 1369-1370. It's not "current."

However, basically, the orcs are incontrol of the north, with a secure trade/supply lane between Mithral Hall and Silverymoon. Otherwise the orcs are dug in title, keeping the dwarves of Mythal Hall pinned in.

Everything in the Silver Marches supplement reflects the current status pretty much... well except that Bruenor has 2 eyes and Wulfgar never married Cattie... but we'll just ignore those oversights like the editor did.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  23:23:48  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SirUrza, the dwarves of Mithral Hall aren't exactly "pinned in". They already fought off the orcs with the help of Citadel Felbarr and the orcs have retreated north but are now building fortifications and defenses.

Basically, the orcs are going to stay in their positions in the North, as Alustriel and several other leaders of the Silver Marches just don't want to start a giant war to clear out the orcs, much to the displeasure of Bruenor.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  03:25:11  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must have missed the part of the novel where the dwarves pushed the Orcs away from the other gates/enterences of the Hall aside from the river side "enterence."

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  04:32:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm much more interested in the current events in the Silver Marches when it comes to Richard Baker's last novel.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  07:38:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

I'm much more interested in the current events in the Silver Marches when it comes to Richard Baker's last novel.

Aye... I'm waiting in steady anticipation for those events to reveal themselves as well.

Perhaps we could speculate though, on what we already know...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  09:07:05  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

SirUrza, the dwarves of Mithral Hall aren't exactly "pinned in". They already fought off the orcs with the help of Citadel Felbarr and the orcs have retreated north but are now building fortifications and defenses.

Basically, the orcs are going to stay in their positions in the North, as Alustriel and several other leaders of the Silver Marches just don't want to start a giant war to clear out the orcs, much to the displeasure of Bruenor.

It's their positions in the North, where they are building fortifications as of 1370; that's what I need to know. Our timeline hasn't advanced as far as 1374 yet.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  12:35:15  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're only in 1370, then I suggest you look at the timeline/recent history in both Silver Marches and the 2E supplement The North should you have it. If not, it can be downloaded for free here: http://www.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/thenorth.asp
On top of that, if my memory serves me correctly, the League of the Silver Marches does not yet exist in 1370.

Edited by - Alaundo on 23 Jan 2005 16:27:30
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  16:11:34  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reefy's right, not till 1371.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  20:43:27  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... then why are you asking about the events of the Hunter's Blade Trilogy? The trilogy started in 1371.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  20:49:11  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Hmm... then why are you asking about the events of the Hunter's Blade Trilogy? The trilogy started in 1371.

Perhaps home campaign is moving faster then the books are coming out.
Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  21:36:10  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. Is this top secret information or something? I assure you I'm not a dwarven spy.

I know, I know. Luruar is not established until 1371. I'm looking for this information for continuity reasons. I have a group of PCs who like to play cat and mouse with the orcs in the region, so the locations of orc power bases are pertinent.

SirUrza, where did you get the date the trilogy was set in? I assumed sllightly before 1372 as sort of the lead into the Silver Marches setting book, but there seems to be a disagreement on that, and I can't find anything that states the date specifically. The question was asked on an earlier thread, but the answer was unclear at that time as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  22:55:50  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mareka

Wow. Is this top secret information or something? I assure you I'm not a dwarven spy.

I know, I know. Luruar is not established until 1371. I'm looking for this information for continuity reasons. I have a group of PCs who like to play cat and mouse with the orcs in the region, so the locations of orc power bases are pertinent.

SirUrza, where did you get the date the trilogy was set in? I assumed sllightly before 1372 as sort of the lead into the Silver Marches setting book, but there seems to be a disagreement on that, and I can't find anything that states the date specifically. The question was asked on an earlier thread, but the answer was unclear at that time as well.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/presenting tries to date most of the novels. This might help some.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  23:17:47  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/presenting tries to date most of the novels. This might help some.

Unfortunately, I do not see any dates given for the trilogy in question.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  23:48:09  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Unfortunately, I do not see any dates given for the trilogy in question.

*mutters* Well is WotC webpage.

This offers an estime on RAS forum.

http://p197.ezboard.com/frasalvatoreforumsfrm7.showMessageRange?topicID=1098.topic&start=1&stop=20

If the timeline is correct, book three of Hunters Blade ends before War of the Spider Queen

Edited by - Kentinal on 23 Jan 2005 23:49:21
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  01:29:28  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even without "official" timelines, we know that Orcs takes place almost immidiately after Sea of Swords since at the end of Sea we find out that Gandalug died. Orcs starts with everyone on the road back to the Hall so Breunor can retake his Throne.

So, the BIG question then remains, when does Sea of Swords take place? Well according to Sea of Swords, Chapter 1, it's only been "months" since Wulfgar ran off on Catti and the gang. So unless you're going to argue that Spine and Servant are much closer to the 3rd edition timeline too, which means the FRCS dates the drow invasion of the Hall WAAAAAAAAAAAAY off, there's really no point in going on. :)

Wait, there's 1 more arguement you could argue travelling from Icewind Dale to Mithral Hall takes 7 years, then it could be 1372.

Regardless, it's common knowledge the Drizzt series fell behind what's "current" and remains so for story and TSR/Wizards issues.

HOWEVER, they could skip ahead the timeline, by rescuing Colson in a short story, and then moving ahead in the timeline, making the quest for the lost dwarven city "current" but I doubt Bob will do that.
---------------------------

Side note, the descrepency between Hunter's Blades and the Silver Marches supplement is purely due to the fact that whoever was incharge at the time, didn't know Bob wasn't writing a novel that leap forward. But considering the people that worked on Silver Marches didn't know how many eyes Bruenor has or who Wulfgar married, it's easy to see understand how the people incharge can make a mistake like that too. Some how I think the Silver Marches supplement influenced the outcome of the Hunter's Blades trilogy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 24 Jan 2005 01:36:24
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  04:36:22  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
This offers an estime on RAS forum.

http://p197.ezboard.com/frasalvatoreforumsfrm7.showMessageRange?topicID=1098.topic&start=1&stop=20

If the timeline is correct, book three of Hunters Blade ends before War of the Spider Queen

Yeah, I found that posting earlier when I researched for an answer from an authority source. Unfortunately, while most likely accurate, that timeline also doesn't provide any official dates. But, it is a nice piece of work by a fan.

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Urza
Side note, the descrepency between Hunter's Blades and the Silver Marches supplement is purely due to the fact that whoever was incharge at the time, didn't know Bob wasn't writing a novel that leap forward. But considering the people that worked on Silver Marches didn't know how many eyes Bruenor has or who Wulfgar married, it's easy to see understand how the people incharge can make a mistake like that too. Some how I think the Silver Marches supplement influenced the outcome of the Hunter's Blades trilogy.

I believe I recall some mention that R.A. Salvatore was quite surprised at some gathering (Gencon I want to say) to learn that there was a Silver Marches sourcebook that had just come out or was about to be published. This tale, whether true or not, when detailed online prompted an exchange on how communication is/was between the novel dept. and the gaming folks.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  18:00:41  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well only other thing I can offer is the _A Grand History of the Realms_ PDF places The Lone Drow occuring 1669.

Edited by - Kentinal on 25 Jan 2005 01:15:07
Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  20:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Even without "official" timelines, we know that Orcs takes place almost immidiately after Sea of Swords since at the end of Sea we find out that Gandalug died. Orcs starts with everyone on the road back to the Hall so Breunor can retake his Throne.

So, the BIG question then remains, when does Sea of Swords take place? Well according to Sea of Swords, Chapter 1, it's only been "months" since Wulfgar ran off on Catti and the gang. So unless you're going to argue that Spine and Servant are much closer to the 3rd edition timeline too, which means the FRCS dates the drow invasion of the Hall WAAAAAAAAAAAAY off, there's really no point in going on. :)

Wait, there's 1 more arguement you could argue travelling from Icewind Dale to Mithral Hall takes 7 years, then it could be 1372.

Regardless, it's common knowledge the Drizzt series fell behind what's "current" and remains so for story and TSR/Wizards issues.

HOWEVER, they could skip ahead the timeline, by rescuing Colson in a short story, and then moving ahead in the timeline, making the quest for the lost dwarven city "current" but I doubt Bob will do that.
---------------------------

That all makes a lot of sense. I think 1369-70 is pretty accurate, too. After having read the books, does it seem reasonable that those events could have contributed to the formation of the League? Is Obould still somewhat allied with the frost giants?
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  21:05:30  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mareka

That all makes a lot of sense. I think 1369-70 is pretty accurate, too. After having read the books, does it seem reasonable that those events could have contributed to the formation of the League? Is Obould still somewhat allied with the frost giants?

It was something Bob wrote in the novels, and although Gerti is mentioned in Silver Marches, it doesn't go into the information of orcs. My impression from the conclusion of the trilogy was that the alliance was over and the Gerti was keeping her giant away from Obould and the cities.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  00:37:18  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the novel The Lone Drow, it is mentioned that events are taking place a decade after the battle of Keeper's Dale (which occurs in 1358 DR). That would place The Hunter's Blades trilogy in 1368-1369 DR. I'll see if I can track down the exact page number.

It should also be noted that R.A. Salvatore's short stories about Jaraxle & Artemis apparently are happening concurrently. Realms of the Dragons officially date the latest short story as occurring in 1368 DR.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  02:49:50  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Realmslore

In the novel The Lone Drow, it is mentioned that events are taking place a decade after the battle of Keeper's Dale (which occurs in 1358 DR). That would place The Hunter's Blades trilogy in 1368-1369 DR. I'll see if I can track down the exact page number.

Thanks Realmslore for providing a source for the date.
Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  21:50:08  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, do the books actually give any locations for the fortifications the orcs built? If not, do the Moonlands north and west of the Moonwood, and maybe in the Frost Hills north of Mithril Hall seem to make sense? And are the orcs actually blocking trade or just raiding and harrying as they always did before?
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  04:00:05  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The impression I got, the only trade route that was resecured was the River Surbin. Everything else is filled with Orcs that are digging in to hold the hills.

Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  19:51:01  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

The impression I got, the only trade route that was resecured was the River Surbin. Everything else is filled with Orcs that are digging in to hold the hills.

Thank you much. I got it figured out now.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  03:22:40  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad I could help. :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000