Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 What do ye' old tomes have on Everska?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  00:36:27  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Return of the Archwizards
Forsaken House

Those 2 novel series aside, what other tombs (novel or accessory) hold vast quantities of knowledge regarding Evereska?

PS.. I'll even take websites if there's anything completely devoted to Evereska.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 09 Jan 2005 05:08:44

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  01:05:55  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are some stuff that maybe helpful:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20021009rt - This link is a WotC article about Evereska itself.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rp/20010725a - This one is about a character that works for the Evereskan government, not sure if this is useful.

http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-Cormanthyr/home%20page.htm - This link is a website about Faerunian elves so it should have some info on Evereska too.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  01:51:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't think of a single FR product yet published that holds "vast quantities of knowledge" on Evereska. I think it was purposely left a bit of a blank slate for a long while to add mystery to the place. Good luck in your search. Of course, you could always ... <ahem> ... make some stuff up ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  06:09:56  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darn, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to carefully page through Return of the Archwizards for all the detail I could get on Evereska.

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  08:25:50  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was watching the 'extra DVDs' on Fellowship of the Ring last night and couldn't help but compare Rivendell with Evereska.

Both do seem to have somewhat of a similar feeling to them, and are in a 'lost and forgotten' valley as sort of a refuge amidst the turmoil of the world. It does seem that Rivendell is a bit more open to outsiders compared to Evereska.

So in absence of 'official' lore on Evereska, Rivendell might serve as a source for ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  16:32:45  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I talked about Evereska with Ed Greenwood at a convention earlier this year in Hamilton, Ontario, and he said there's very little info on it, AND that he couldn't "legally say more." (!!) I guess that's an NDA.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  17:32:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

I talked about Evereska with Ed Greenwood at a convention earlier this year in Hamilton, Ontario, and he said there's very little info on it, AND that he couldn't "legally say more." (!!) I guess that's an NDA.

Well given the upcoming Year of Risen Elfkin perhaps we will see more stories and products detailing Evereska.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  19:26:14  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I have to wait till 2006 for Evereska AND more post-Return of the Jedi Star Wars. 2005 is the Year of Suck.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  01:40:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

So I have to wait till 2006 for Evereska AND more post-Return of the Jedi Star Wars. 2005 is the Year of Suck.

And two weeks before Revenge of the Sith, the movie Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy comes out...

You could also ask Elaine Cunningham about Evereska, since bits of Elfshadow happen there... She might have more info to offer.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  05:38:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, we do get Richard Baker's next novel in 2005. While the story seems to be shifting to another area of Faerun, perhaps The Farthest Reach will have some bit of information about Evereska.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  20:59:06  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Well, we do get Richard Baker's next novel in 2005. While the story seems to be shifting to another area of Faerun, perhaps The Farthest Reach will have some bit of information about Evereska.

As much as I like novels, I hate searching through them for information. So far I've skimmed through the first 50 pages of The Summoning and have 3 1/2 pages of notes. :)

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  21:26:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As much as I like novels, I hate searching through them for information. So far I've skimmed through the first 50 pages of The Summoning and have 3 1/2 pages of notes. :)

I think that's about the same amount of notes I took when reading Forsaken House. I love that novel.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  03:46:18  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think that's about the same amount of notes I took when reading Forsaken House. I love that novel.

What'd you take notes on? :)

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  06:14:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Everything I thought was interesting and/or might be useful as a source of inspiration or detail for my FR world.

The only FR book I've ever actually sat down, made little notes, typed them out, and now have them saved in a sheet protector. Yes, again to Richard Baker...fantastic job.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  06:45:05  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If any of the notes were on Evereska could ya copy&paste them? :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  11:25:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

A piece of paper, most likely.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  14:13:57  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If any of the notes were on Evereska could ya copy&paste them? :)

From the novel? I thought you had already taken notes from that source?
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  17:17:57  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

From the novel? I thought you had already taken notes from that source?

No, I just didn't want some telling me it had Evereska in it when I already knew that. :)

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  23:37:23  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess by your silence SB that you didn't take any Evereska notes?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  02:42:47  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I guess by your silence SB that you didn't take any Evereska notes?

No, just haven't had the chance to look through my notes as of yet.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  03:04:32  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh alrighty. Post them if you got them, don't do anything special if you don't have anything prepared.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  04:28:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ahh alrighty. Post them if you got them, don't do anything special if you don't have anything prepared.

Here's what I have from my notes. Most are very brief as I was mainly just wanting an index for what pages I could go to in order to find out more information:

Top of Page 89: Brief update on Evereska's status. If I recall it's Sarya detailing that the city is still ripe for the taking.

Top of Page 108: Evereska's Age. Here we learn that Evereska is almost as old as Evermeet itself. I did not know this fact. Anyone have the exact date of either founding?

Bottom of Page 173: Part of Evereska is described, the high peaks of the Shaeradim that conceals the valley to be specific.

Top of Page 174: Lord Duirsar, a moon elf elder and Leader of the Hill Council is described.

Bottom of Page 175: Further description of Evereska's losses. The whole of the Tomb Guard, most of the Vale Guard, and better than half the Swords of Evereska are listed as lost. The mythal is also described as weak still.

Top of Page 200: A more detailed description of Evereska's streets including signs of destruction still present to the eye.

That's all I have. It's not much, but it's something at least and I hope it helps.

SB
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2005 :  22:37:27  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, helps a lot. :)

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2005 :  23:41:39  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks, helps a lot. :)

You're welcome. I like helping with any elf lore.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  00:47:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Top of Page 108: Evereska's Age. Here we learn that Evereska is almost as old as Evermeet itself. I did not know this fact. Anyone have the exact date of either founding?

Evereska was founded in -8600 DR (see Cormanthyr, p.32). On my reckoning, soon to be confirmed, Evermeet was founded a while before that - "almost as old" probably isn't quite right.

Oh, and to be pedantic, there is a difference between the date of Evermeet's creation and its settlement by mainland elves.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 18 Jan 2005 00:50:38
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  01:02:05  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
c. -24000 DR
1. (~) The Sundering. Hundreds of High Magi gathered in the heartland of Faerūn at the Gathering Place. Ignoring the lesson learned from the destruction of Tintageer centuries earlier, the High Magi cast a spell designed to create a glorious elven homeland. As the Day of Birthing dawned, the spell reached its apex. The unbridled force of the spell sunders Faerūn, the one land, apart. As a result, hundred of cities are washed away, thousands of elves lie dead, and the face of Abeir-Toril is changed forever. The name Faerūn, no longer the one land, was given to largest continent. Evermeet, Island of Elves, is created. The Tree of Souls is given to the elves.

-9800 DR
1. The Vyshantaar Empire's forces occupy all elven realms (save Keltormir) from the High Forest of Aryvandaar to the sweltering southern forests of ilythiir. They begin the colonization and settlement of Evermeet.

-833 DR
1. The elves begin their great exodus to the island of Evermeet.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  01:22:04  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-9000 to
The Rise of Civilization/The Founding Time: This era signals the rise of all the humanoid civilizations, as the many dragons and giants were long overthrown and the elven wars no longer loomed over everyone as a threat. The elven realms of Evereska and Evermeet grow by colonization along with other realms, from the human Unther or Coramshan to the dwarven realms of High Shanatar or Oghrann.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  01:53:30  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe, well any other tidbits about Everska anyone may have collected, including novel info from Archwizard trilogy would be useful. :)

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  02:43:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1335 DR [Year of the Snow Winds]
The Evereska Charter claims the Greycloak Hills for the elves.

1372 DR [Year of the Wild Magic] (14 PR)
Evereska, one of the last remaining elven strongholds in Faerūn, is besieged by hordes of phaerimm and their thralls.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  03:58:00  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Evermeet was founded a while before that - "almost as old" probably isn't quite right.

Take it up with Gervas Imesfor then. Just remember these are elves speaking, "almost as old" could easily mean several centuries.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  04:07:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

c. -24000 DR
1. (~) The Sundering. Hundreds of High Magi gathered in the heartland of Faerūn at the Gathering Place. Ignoring the lesson learned from the destruction of Tintageer centuries earlier, the High Magi cast a spell designed to create a glorious elven homeland. As the Day of Birthing dawned, the spell reached its apex. The unbridled force of the spell sunders Faerūn, the one land, apart. As a result, hundred of cities are washed away, thousands of elves lie dead, and the face of Abeir-Toril is changed forever. The name Faerūn, no longer the one land, was given to largest continent. Evermeet, Island of Elves, is created. The Tree of Souls is given to the elves.

This is a date chosen by the author of the timeline you got it from, taken in turn from the information in Elaine's "Evermeet" novel. It's not a 'canonical' dating as it hasn't appeared in print (dated that is) in either novel or gaming products. It'll do for now. Well, for another month at least.

quote:

-9800 DR
1. The Vyshantaar Empire's forces occupy all elven realms (save Keltormir) from the High Forest of Aryvandaar to the sweltering southern forests of ilythiir. They begin the colonization and settlement of Evermeet.

Good pick up. I'd forgotten about this reference from Cormanthyr. Maybe this is considered the 'founding' date of Evermeet as an elven realm - although there are green elves and avariel (I think) already there.

quote:

-833 DR
1. The elves begin their great exodus to the island of Evermeet.

Not sure where this date is from. Again, could be extrapolated from Elaine's work.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000