Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 $50 to Spend on Forgotten Realms...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  06:08:11  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I got a $50 gift card for Indigo bookstores this Christmas but I don't know what FR novels to buy. Could anyone of you fellow scribes suggest something good for me to spend on?

I've already read:

All the Drizzt books
1-5 in WotSQ Series
First two books in Erevis Cale trilogy
Cormyr trilogy
Moonshae trilogy
Evermeet
Elfshadow
Book 1&2 of the Return of the Archwizards
The Rage
Forsaken House
Elminster's Temptation and Elminster in Hell

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  06:17:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Rite, Elminster's Daughter, the upcoming sequel to Forsaken House, the upcoming Waterdeep novel... The Finder's Stone Trilogy, the 1st and 3rd books of the Lost Gods trilogy (the middle book, oddly, was a Dragginglance novel), the Starlight & Shadows trilogy, the Counselors and Kings trilogy... I've heard the Sembia books are good, too, and there's an utter cartload of Realms of anthologies...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  06:23:30  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In no particular order

The Rite: If you liked the first book, you'll like this one.

Elminster's Daughter: A fun romp that updates Cormyr's situation. I have a feeling when it comes to tone, the upcoming Waterdeep novel will be a great deal like this work.

The Sembia Series: Don't you want to see how it all started for Cale? Back when he was simply a butler and nothing special?

Starlight and Shadows series: Great character development.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  07:01:45  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second the recommendation of Starlight and Shadows trilogy; you might as well pick up the Counselors and Kings, as well -- easily one of the best-done I've ever read, where political intrigues and convoluted plots are concerned. Oh, yes, and add The Shattered Mask (Richard Lee Byers) to the list. (Probably better read in the context of the Sembia series, but I don't think it's necessary. I don't really like some of the novels in that line, anyway, and so wouldn't exactly recommend them.)
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  13:38:17  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed the following books as well: Lady of Poison, The Alabaster Staff, The Black Bouquet and the Realms of the Dragons book which has some great short stories. If you can find any of the old Harpers series of books, some of those are great too.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  16:26:42  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you read and enjoyed Elfshadow, I'd thoroughly recommend reading the rest of the Songs and Swords series.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  16:40:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maecenus of Westgate
Realms of the Dragons

I forgot to mention that too. Some great stories within this anthology.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  16:57:45  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Shandril's Saga? I saw it several times at the bookstores but they costed like $20 each so I'm still hesitant about buying them. Counselor's and King's was actually on my list because Elaine Cunningham has become one of my favourite authors. I think I might get this series then.

Hmm... the Sembia series. Is it that good? I wasn't really too sure about buying it because there's a lot of books in that series and before WotSQ, I didn't like the idea of several authors writing one series.

BTW, does anyone know when the sequel to Forsaken House and when Resurrection would be released? Thanks for all you guys' help.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  18:23:43  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you can find the ORIGINAL version of Spellfire, go for it. Otherwise wait till the Mass Market.

I'd agree with the rest of Song & Swords if you liked Elfshadow. (You said you're an Elaine fan right?)

Silverfall is a good novel and in mass market paperback now. Stormlight is a great read too.

The Rite will be out REALLY soon, if not already for you.

The Cleric Quintet is a fun read too.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  19:04:02  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are a few that I particularly enjoyed:

Venom's Taste by Lisa Smedman
Shadow's Witness by Paul S. Kemp
Halls of Stormweather
The Sapphire Crescent by Thomas M. Reid

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Check out my webpage at http://iankappos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  19:36:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101
BTW, does anyone know when the sequel to Forsaken House and when Resurrection would be released? Thanks for all you guys' help.

Resurrection is in April.

The Farthest Reach I believe is in July/
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  21:27:03  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sembia series realy is as good as evertbody makes out. The Cleric Quintet is excellent, and most of the other books mentioned so far are good as well. The finders Stone Trilogy is a series that doesn't get that much praise but is great. Hope this helps and happy spending. Just out of interest how many paperbacks can you buy for $50?

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  22:41:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valdar Oakensong
Just out of interest how many paperbacks can you buy for $50?

Most current Realms paperbacks go for $6.99.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  22:53:12  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Canada, a regular paper back would cost $9.99. A hardcover would be around $35, but some go as high as $40. The short stories books, like Realms of... are cheaper by several dollars compared to the paperbacks.

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  05:07:35  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What about Shandril's Saga? I saw it several times at the bookstores but they costed like $20 each so I'm still hesitant about buying them.

I don't personally recommend it; I can find very few good things to say about the trilogy, although admittedly, I only read the first two books. Annoying protagonist, cringe-worthy spineless romantic interest, repetitive speech patterns (I'm not sure why everybody keeps calling each other "my lord" and "my lady"), an overabundance of combat scenes, the protagonist defeating every single thing willy-nilly (beholders, dracoliches, archmages), prose chock-full of repetitive phrases, a plot hole in the second book big enough to drive a tank through, villains that have all the intelligence of a lump of mud...

Well, you asked. But hey, if you like Ed Greenwood, you'll probably like Shandril's Saga.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  06:04:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't a fan of Shandril's Saga, either. Ed Greenwood's Realmslore is fantastic, but of all of the Realms fiction of his that I've read (and when I say his, I refer to he alone being the writer), Elminster's Daughter was the only one I really liked.

Other than the fact that I have read all three books, I'll echo Winterfox's comments.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  10:20:50  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valdar Oakensong

The Sembia series realy is as good as evertbody makes out.

Well met

Oh indeed I heartily recommend the Sembia series, Valdar. Take a look at the authors who wrote for the series, need I say more? Each tale in the series is independant but still keeps a link with the other novels (remember to read them in the correct order too). In my humble opinion, one of the best Realms novel series, by far.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Blackbird
Acolyte

Ireland
1 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  12:18:40  Show Profile  Visit Blackbird's Homepage Send Blackbird a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed Escape from Undermountain. Prince of Lies is a good follow up to the Avatar trilogy. Counsellors and Kings is also very good.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  13:56:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackbird

I enjoyed Escape from Undermountain.

Well, that makes one of us that liked that book.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  15:18:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox
Oh, yes, and add The Shattered Mask (Richard Lee Byers) to the list. (Probably better read in the context of the Sembia series, but I don't think it's necessary. I don't really like some of the novels in that line, anyway, and so wouldn't exactly recommend them.)

Which books in the Sembia series did you not enjoy?
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  15:30:40  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd agree with Alaundo on the Sembia series. A very nice flavoured set of books that paints a nice picture of life in Sembia. For me the low-point in the series was Heirs of Prophecy, the scenario seemed a little far-fetched. However as a whole, IMHO it is one of the better serie of books on the Realms.

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 08 Jan 2005 15:31:28
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  15:51:42  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sembia series is one my favorite series too. I'd agree with Mumadar regarding Heirs of Prophecy, I couldn't help but feel that the deities involved granted too much too easily and the story had an overall love conquers all kind of feeling. There were some great scenes though and overall I did enjoy the novel. I have very fond memories of the Sembia series, and are among my most treasured FR novels. Bear in mind also that Paul Kemp's character from the series ended up with his own trilogy, and also one of Dave Gross' characters made it into another novel too.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  16:54:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Assuming you could find all of these without trouble (at Indigo, I very much doubt it), I'd choose:
Elminster's Daughter
Stormlight
Realms of Mystery
Azure Bonds
the rest of the Songs & Swords series
The Shadows of the Avatar trilogy
Azure Bonds
The Farthest Reach (sequel to Forsaken House) when it comes out; Ed says it's very good
. . . and if you don't have the Volo's Guides series, treat yourself to those free downloads and get all sorts of stories wrapped in gamebooks.
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 08 Jan 2005 16:56:31
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  18:01:07  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'll probably try to get the Counsellors & Kings trilogy and if I have any money left over, spend it on The Rite and the Sembia series. I just found out I have a $10 off certificate for Indigo lying at home so this allows me to get even more books...

Thanks for all your suggestions. I appreciate the help.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  19:17:37  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I'll probably try to get the Counsellors & Kings trilogy and if I have any money left over, spend it on The Rite and the Sembia series. I just found out I have a $10 off certificate for Indigo lying at home so this allows me to get even more books...

I love when that happens. I had a $5 certificate for The Rite. :)

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  23:22:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tymora smiles upon us all eventually.

quote:

Thanks for all your suggestions. I appreciate the help.

Looking forward to hearing what you purchase, with what they have, and then hearing what you think of each tome.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  23:24:00  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
The Farthest Reach (sequel to Forsaken House) when it comes out; Ed says it's very good

What else has EG whispered about that sequel?

SB who has to try...
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  00:12:11  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're just going to make us all want it more SB. :)

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  01:00:13  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some reason, WotC saids that The Farthest Reach is written by Thomas Reid and when I clicked on the link, it gives the page to The Emerald Sceptre. Does anyone else have this problem?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  02:54:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For some reason, WotC saids that The Farthest Reach is written by Thomas Reid and when I clicked on the link, it gives the page to The Emerald Sceptre. Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes, you're not alone. That problem has been there for over a month now and still has not been fixed. Try searching one of the major online vendors if you want to confirm a release date for the next novel in Baker's series. If you have any trouble let me know and I'll post a link.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  02:55:34  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

You're just going to make us all want it more SB. :)

I know...I know...but I still have to obtain, if possible,any little piece of information.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000