Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Setting-Driven or Story-Driven?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  17:22:28  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are following this forum for awhile now, I have noticed a lot of these types of remarks, "The story was pretty good, but there wasn't enough lore/information about so-and-so setting." That's begs an interesting question.

What do you prefer, a story that's a real page turner but light on the lore, or a story heavy on setting lore but the story often leaves much to be desired (ala Greenwood's Shandril Saga IMHO)? Personally, I'll take an excellent story any day over a book that tries to cram way too much setting info but lacks any meat (a good plot). Of course we'd like to have it both ways, but if you had a choice, what would you prefer?

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  18:19:57  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wwwwwww
Of course we'd like to have it both ways, but if you had a choice, what would you prefer?

Story driven all the way. You can have all the lore references that are possible, but if the story is boring, this reader begins to tune out.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  18:57:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by wwwwwww
Of course we'd like to have it both ways, but if you had a choice, what would you prefer?

Story driven all the way. You can have all the lore references that are possible, but if the story is boring, this reader begins to tune out.

Yup. But one mans boring story is another's goldmine. I loved Shandril's tale, but you know what? I can NEVER EVER read through the Lord of the Rings! It puts me to sleep.

However, I agree again. Story driven with setting lore added in wherever it can be.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  21:03:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
I can NEVER EVER read through the Lord of the Rings! It puts me to sleep.

Same here. I've tried a couple of times to start those books and could not find any interest. Anne Rice is the same way with this reader.
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  21:44:13  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would prefer a good story that sticks to what we know about the Realms without feeling that it has to add more. That's what all the RPG products are for. Be careful Sirius, you know how tetchy Big Al gets when you mention these strange tomes. The staff is a swishing

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  22:58:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valdar Oakensong
Be careful Sirius, you know how tetchy Big Al gets when you mention these strange tomes. The staff is a swishing

Yep, I'm trembling in my boots.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  23:07:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want my stories to be driven by the plot, with setting lore to be the trim that grounds it in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  23:26:21  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer a story grounded strongly in Realms lore. If it doesn't feel like the forgotten realms, it might as well be a published without the logo on the cover.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Elmonster
Acolyte

Russia
49 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  07:45:39  Show Profile  Visit Elmonster's Homepage Send Elmonster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"The story was pretty good, but there wasn't enough lore/information about so-and-so setting." That's begs an interesting question.

That's why i say that Evermeet is trule one of the finest FR novels. Actually it is a Forgotten Realms lorebook, written as a story most interesting to read.

I wished on the seven sisters
Bring me the wisdom of the age
All that's locked within the book of secrets
I longed for the knowledge of the sage...

Fires at Midnight, Blackmore's Night
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  08:01:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elmonster
That's why i say that Evermeet is trule one of the finest FR novels. Actually it is a Forgotten Realms lorebook, written as a story most interesting to read.

And a nice collection of tales from a bard in love to his half-elven sweetie.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000