Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 City of Splendors: Waterdeep sourcebook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

kaeso
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  05:03:32  Show Profile  Visit kaeso's Homepage Send kaeso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh well, he's still awesome

Great literature is escapist, but it changes you, and you come back to your world with new eyes. D&D is the first game that's ever done that for me.
-Sumana Harihareswara

Edited by - kaeso on 15 Jul 2006 05:04:10
Go to Top of Page

kaeso
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2006 :  20:43:51  Show Profile  Visit kaeso's Homepage Send kaeso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if a City of Splendors: Waterdeep wallpaper will ever be made? I love the artwork that stretches front to back, yet I can't manage to find the entire piece anywhere. I was hoping that at least I could find that and just use what I could for a wallpaper.

Great literature is escapist, but it changes you, and you come back to your world with new eyes. D&D is the first game that's ever done that for me.
-Sumana Harihareswara
Go to Top of Page

kaeso
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  02:11:11  Show Profile  Visit kaeso's Homepage Send kaeso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... how does Skullport work? I'm not quite sure I understand how a port can be under Mount Waterdeep. Does it connect to the Underdark? Do surface vessels go to it? If so, how do they get that far down?

-Sumana Harihareswara
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  05:09:29  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a late 2ed (almost ruleless)source-book called Skullport that details the port pretty thoroughly. My memory is a bit faulty, but I seem to remember there being a hidden entrance at sea level and a river inside the mountain that led up to the town itself. As to how the town works, there we get to the fun subject of the Skulls.
Go to Top of Page

kaeso
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  22:32:10  Show Profile  Visit kaeso's Homepage Send kaeso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
awesome, I'll save that name on my list of books to buy, and download it offline when I'm old enough for a credit card- no saracasm intended, just 2 more months! Thanks again for the title

-Sumana Harihareswara
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  22:48:30  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recommend reading the original write-up before Joseph Wolf's Skullport book: "Seeing the Sights in Skullport" in Dragon #172, largely reprinted in City of Splendors (1994).
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  16:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just noticed something rather odd in the Tel Teukiira write up on page 76 of CoS it has The Mistmaster listed as a CN 9 cleric of Deneir/ 16th Illusionist. Which creates a problem as Deneir is NG and the Mistmasters alignment is more than 1 step away from it

This can be resolved in a number of ways

1) The Mistmaster alignment should be CG instead of CN (making him legal)

2) The Mistmasters alignment is correct and he has the Heretic of the Faith feat

3) The Mistmasters alignment is correct but the god should be Leira (given his other class this might be apporiate)and he has the Servent of the Fallen feat

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  23:30:01  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the 1e/2e sourcebooks listed Mistmaster as a cleric of Leira. Maybe he switched to Deneir, rather than worship Cyric?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  01:18:14  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

I think the 1e/2e sourcebooks listed Mistmaster as a cleric of Leira. Maybe he switched to Deneir, rather than worship Cyric?

The problem is his alignments illigal for a cleric of Deneir (Unless he has the Heretic of the Faith feat)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  01:29:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
or 4) Eric, or whomever, kept the 1e and 2e deity alignments which allowed Deneir to have CN divine casters. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 09 Sep 2006 05:00:32
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  04:51:43  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What was the Mistmaster's 1e/2e alignment?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  04:59:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Archwizard

What was the Mistmaster's 1e/2e alignment?

CG. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  05:04:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

The problem is his alignments illigal for a cleric of Deneir (Unless he has the Heretic of the Faith feat)

Alignments in 2e allowed Deneir to have CN divine spellcasters.

Maybe one of the writers, perhaps Eric, allowed this to be carried over into 3e and reflected in CoS:W

EDIT: This blasted forum error is causing a long delay in forum replies.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Sep 2006 05:05:14
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  07:52:12  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric

Did you create a full stat block for Muiral the Misshapen for City of Splendors?

If so any chance you could post them?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  08:18:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umm, what do you mean by "full stat block". I don't have the book in front of me right now, but the turnover had his stat block. Mind you there's a feast of information that didn't make the cut - it's now in the, as Tom Costa so eloquently put it, "City of Splendors Director's Cuts" file. (Some of which has turned up in DoF).

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  10:35:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Umm, what do you mean by "full stat block". I don't have the book in front of me right now, but the turnover had his stat block. Mind you there's a feast of information that didn't make the cut - it's now in the, as Tom Costa so eloquently put it, "City of Splendors Director's Cuts" file. (Some of which has turned up in DoF).

-- George Krashos

"The Full stat block" is what Trobriand got, Muiral the Misshapen only got the name/alignment/race/class stats

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  13:42:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the turnover, he did have a stat block just like Trobriand. I'll leave it to Eric to decide whether he wants that info published.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  14:04:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In the turnover, he did have a stat block just like Trobriand. I'll leave it to Eric to decide whether he wants that info published.

-- George Krashos

well thats good news and hopefully Eric will be able to share (I wonder how many other CoS NPCs where fully stated but never saw the light of day...)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  14:49:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

-- George Krashos

well thats good news and hopefully Eric will be able to share (I wonder how many other CoS NPCs where fully stated but never saw the light of day...)

Unfortunately, I'm not supposed to share cut bits, except as part of a WoTC product (e.g. web enhancement, another product, etc.).
This was a weird one anyway.

His stat block has a weird history anyway. Going from memory, originally, I made him a tauric cildabrin and did a cildabrin write-up in the Monster section (for that reason only). Then he got cut for lack of space (along with the cildabrin write-up, which didn't really belong in CoS:W anyway.) Then Lords of Madness (developed concurrently) came out with a cildabrin just as we were finishing up CoS:W, but Muiral remained a tauric scorpion, as the CR in LoM was too high to make a him a reasonable character with all the classes I felt he deserved. (My version had a much lower CR.)

I'll see if I can work it in someday, but no promises, as I'll probably have to redo him from scratch.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000