Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Philip Athans - Watercourse Trilogy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2004 :  16:08:42  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just wondering what y'all's HONEST opinion of Philip Athans is, and if you are looking forward to the Watercourse Trilogy he has on slate. I know he does a lot of work editing and doing other great things for FR, but what about as an author . . .

Personally, I've never read anything from Mr. Athans that I've found to be the kind of quality I would expect from an author. His Baldur's Gate works were not to my liking, and The Savage Caves and Death Ray (for the D&D line) that he did weren't all that great either. Maybe I'm just being overly negative.

BTW, this is not a personal attack. I actually respect Mr. Athans for all the hard work he has done helping the other authors with their own books.

Edited by - Alaundo on 04 Nov 2004 16:35:55

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2004 :  16:38:36  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, wwwwwww

Have ye read WotSQ #5: Annihilation, by Phil Athans? I'd be interested to hear thy views on this novel (in the appropriate thread of course.

As to the Watercourse Trilogy, I am intrigued by how this will be done, it seems a very ambitious project for a single man of the Realms

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 04 Nov 2004 16:39:08
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2004 :  21:46:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wwwwwww

Just wondering what y'all's HONEST opinion of Philip Athans is, and if you are looking forward to the Watercourse Trilogy he has on slate.

Based on the upcoming novel's subject matter per this thread, I am looking forward to it.

quote:

Personally, I've never read anything from Mr. Athans that I've found to be the kind of quality I would expect from an author.

I've only read one of his works and expressed my opinion of it in this thread.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 04 Nov 2004 21:47:31
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  13:14:28  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Have ye read WotSQ #5: Annihilation, by Phil Athans? I'd be interested to hear thy views on this novel (in the appropriate thread of course.
I actually haven't read the WOTSQ books simply because I have trouble with series' that use different authors but maintain the same characters. When characters abruptly change physically or mentally, or other obvious continuation changes occur to the plot, I feel that insults the intelligence of the reader. Stories often stumble across the finish line when separate authors are telling the tale. Now, that's not to say that the authors themselves are poor. In fact, a couple very good writers were chosen for this series. I only wish they had kept the same one throughout.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  13:36:22  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
I actually haven't read the WOTSQ books simply because I have trouble with series' that use different authors but maintain the same characters. When characters abruptly change physically or mentally, or other obvious continuation changes occur to the plot, I feel that insults the intelligence of the reader. Stories often stumble across the finish line when separate authors are telling the tale. Now, that's not to say that the authors themselves are poor. In fact, a couple very good writers were chosen for this series. I only wish they had kept the same one throughout.

Well met

I highly recommend you read The War of the Spider Queen. Given your negative view on mulit-author series, I quite confident that this will be a very pleasant surprise for you. The characters and flavor flows perfectly from book to book\author to author.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 06 Nov 2004 13:36:40
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  14:25:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I understand those feelings. However, for the most part, that series does not suffer from the problems you outlined. In fact, I think the authors did a wonderful job in continuity. The sole exception, in my opinion, was commented on in the thread I already posted a link to.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2004 :  03:34:10  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the great Alaundo and SB.Do yourself a favor,and read WotSQ.The authors have done a great job with continuity of character,and plot.It's a great series.Phil did write the Baldur's Gate novels which weren't the best IMO,but I enjoyed them for what they were.They were great fantasy novels,and have made one hell of a video game.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Elmonster
Acolyte

Russia
49 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2004 :  08:38:39  Show Profile  Visit Elmonster's Homepage Send Elmonster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i haven't read WotSQ, I've read Baldur's Gate by Athans (though i can't say that i enjoyed the book). What about Watercourse - i hope for the better!

I wished on the seven sisters
Bring me the wisdom of the age
All that's locked within the book of secrets
I longed for the knowledge of the sage...

Fires at Midnight, Blackmore's Night
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000