Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Ruby Guardian (Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2004 :  12:17:38  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Ruby Guardian is in stores in the UK Looks VERY nice! Excellent cover art for what i'm sure is an excellent story. Very clever how the emblem in the novels title wraps around as part of the art into the books spine, just as with the first novel.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2004 :  15:36:14  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I finally managed to obtain a copy from my beloved bookstore--the same store that has had the darned thing since last Friday, but somehow managed to shove the entire boxload into the overstock section of the back room rather than actually putting copies on the shelves. Sheesh!

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2004 :  16:10:28  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid

Well, I finally managed to obtain a copy from my beloved bookstore--the same store that has had the darned thing since last Friday, but somehow managed to shove the entire boxload into the overstock section of the back room rather than actually putting copies on the shelves. Sheesh!

Thomas

Oh dear Cyric

Is this a national chain in your area or just a small local bookstore?
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  05:29:21  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
Is this a national chain in your area or just a small local bookstore?

Barnes & Noble my friend. Amazing, huh?

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  05:34:28  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Barnes & Noble my friend. Amazing, huh?

Thomas

Based upon my experience with B&N in several different cities, nope. Par for the course as a matter of fact. Still, sorry that it happened to your novel.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2004 :  20:23:12  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! Just finished reading his novel. Absolutely fantastic!

I loved The Sapphire Crescent and have been looking forward to The Ruby Guardian for a year. I never imagined that this book could be a patch on the first book, but I was wrong. All the mystery, suspense, tension and spine-chilling factors are in this book too. The last couple of chapters have given me goosebumps.

Thomas, how can you leave it like that?! ARGH!!

I initially envisaged that the Ruby Guardian itself would be Xaphira, but the picture on the front and one of the main focuses of the novel turned out to be Emriana. I assume that the Emerald in the third book will be to do with the involvement of the Emerald Enclave?

You sure have one hell of a task on with The Emerald Sceptre

I'd almost forgot about the opening chapter of the book until in came into play later on. That's one of the excellent ways in which you write the novels in this series, nothing appears to come together and there are so many different stories going off...then suddenly, BLAM (in fact, BLAM BLAM BLAM), it all hits and leaves the reader exhausted

I loved the way you gave the atmosphere of the inn where Em accompanied Xaphira. From then on the tension and feeling Em must have had when she followed who she thought was Xaphira was great. Being thrown into the water and then finally escaping back to safety was great. I was almost in tears of relief and exhaution myself when she uttered "ive have the worst day" Amazing!

So thanks for writing an amazing series of novels and keeping me so deeply hooked. You're a great asset to the Realms, what with Insurrection and with the Scions of Arrabar Trilogy!

I'm certainly looking forward to the next novel, how's it coming on?

Lord Rad

Edited by - Lord Rad on 20 Nov 2004 20:24:26
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2004 :  23:03:43  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

WOW! Just finished reading his novel. Absolutely fantastic!

Wow . . . thanks for the high praise, Lord Rad. Seriously. Authors rarely admit it head on, but it's that kind of enthusiasm that keeps us at our craft. We write because we have to, but knowing that there people out there who really latch on to what we're trying to do in such a favorable way is both gratifying and justifying. It tells me that I'm doing something right.
quote:
I'm certainly looking forward to the next novel, how's it coming on?

I'm still plugging away on the first draft right now. Though now that I know how excited you are to read it, I'm all in a sweat, worried about making sure you get satisfying closure for everything that has come before. I'll do my best.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  10:40:27  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm still plugging away on the first draft right now. Though now that I know how excited you are to read it, I'm all in a sweat, worried about making sure you get satisfying closure for everything that has come before. I'll do my best.

Thomas

Well i'd be more than happy to read over your first draft, to ensure it's up to scratch of course My address is...

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2005 :  16:21:16  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished reading The Ruby Guardian last night, and I thought that it was a great follow-up to The Sapphire Crescent.

There was plenty more action in this book than the last one and it was a great second book that explained a lot of the plot and paved the way for the last one in the trilogy.

One thing I found quite amusing was how love interests for the protagonists just appears out of nowhere in The Ruby Guardian. In the first book, you don't even a female companion for Vambran, and then now all of a sudden he's involved with a high druid who appears to be like older than him. Then Emriana and that priest Pilos? Lol. Spotted a future relationship with those two from a mile away...

I have a question about one little issue though. Isn't Grozier Talricci like a wanted criminal in Arrabar now? After all he did in The Sapphire Crescent and escaping out of prison, why is he still allowed to roam around free in the city? Worse, he has even taken control of House Matrell. How does that work?

Heh, now I can do is just re-read the two books and hopefully time will pass soon enough until The Emerald Scepter is released in August. (sigh)

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2005 :  18:07:54  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

I finished reading The Ruby Guardian last night, and I thought that it was a great follow-up to The Sapphire Crescent.

There was plenty more action in this book than the last one and it was a great second book that explained a lot of the plot and paved the way for the last one in the trilogy.

Excellent! I'm glad you like it.

quote:
One thing I found quite amusing was how love interests for the protagonists just appears out of nowhere in The Ruby Guardian. In the first book, you don't even a female companion for Vambran, and then now all of a sudden he's involved with a high druid who appears to be like older than him. Then Emriana and that priest Pilos? Lol. Spotted a future relationship with those two from a mile away...

Well, with Vambran, I see him as a real playboy, just with a serious side to him. As I said elsewhere on these boards, he's got a gal in every port of call, and he's a real looker, so women have a penchant for throwing themselves at him. It's all very casual, though -- I wouldn't term any of them true love interests.

As for Emriana, she's at that age. You know, a new boyfriend every time the weather changes? Seriously, though, she is the spirited and carefree girl who is interested in the right guy, but Pilos is a bit shy and awkward toward her. There will definitely be some changes down the road for them, both as individuals and as a budding couple.

quote:
I have a question about one little issue though. Isn't Grozier Talricci like a wanted criminal in Arrabar now? After all he did in The Sapphire Crescent and escaping out of prison, why is he still allowed to roam around free in the city? Worse, he has even taken control of House Matrell. How does that work?

That's a very good question, and in fact, it comes up in a scene in Book 3. Essentially, now that he's got the blessing of Marga to serve as ward to the twins, he's not really wanted. Remember, too, that as long as Bartimus can work his dimension door spells, Grozier can hop around from place to place pretty freely, so long as he doesn't go out in public. And the great family estates in Arrabar are almost like private city-states within the city -- the Arrabar watch isn't going to even think about trying to enforce jurisdiction within the walls of a place where the family can afford its own private army of guards. So as long as Grozier limits his travel to point-to-point magical travel, he can go lots of places.

quote:
Heh, now I can do is just re-read the two books and hopefully time will pass soon enough until The Emerald Scepter is released in August. (sigh)

My editor has the first draft, so things are proceeding.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2005 :  22:24:35  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply, Mr. Reid. Your post clears things up for me.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2005 :  22:50:54  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Well i'd be more than happy to read over your first draft, to ensure it's up to scratch of course My address is...

Hey maybe candlekeep should see first draft. *VEG*

NDA be gone I say. ;-)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  22:36:46  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it took me a while to get caught up on these, but I finally finished up the final two books of the Scions of Arrabar trilogy. I have to say, the weekend that I finished these books up, I tore through both of them on consecutive days. The stories were very well paced, to my way of thinking, and they kept me going all the way through them.

I really like the idea that these books were set in a region of the Realms that hasn't gotten a lot of attention. I also really liked the contrast between some of the upstanding citizens, like the Matrells, and the underlying theme that there is a lot of corruption in Chondath despite the good people there.

I was glad that Vambram's arcane talents were a bit better described. In the first novel, even though I liked the character, I started to feel a bit strained thinking that he was a trained warrior, cleric, and wizard, and for some reason, it never occurred to me that he might have been a sorcerer, which seemed to be spelled out more implicitly in this book.

I also found it interesting that Emriana, while a fun and empathetic character, still came across as a little elitist from time to time. For me it kept her beleivable, but she wasn't so far removed from the "little people" that it was an impediment to enjoying her or liking her overall.

Thomas did an excellent job of making me like Uncle Kovrim. I was devestated by what happened to him, and the ending was gripping because of this. Then again, I was pretty invested in Hetta as well, and I loved her long term planning.

If I had any issues with this book, it was probably the Emerald Enclave didn't quite get as much fleshing out as I would have liked (though I did like Vambram and Shinthala's "compare and contrast" points of view). The other issue would likely be the aforementioned Shinthala. I don't mind instant attraction, but the tryst between her and Vambram didn't feel as "organic" as it could have.

Overall, though, I really loved the book, and I couldn't put it down when I was reading it. I couldn't wait to pick up The Emerald Scepter as soon as I finished this one. Great pacing on this series.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2007 :  20:40:27  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Well, it took me a while to get caught up on these, but I finally finished up the final two books of the Scions of Arrabar trilogy.

Wow, digging some threads out of the mothballs, eh?

quote:
I have to say, the weekend that I finished these books up, I tore through both of them on consecutive days. The stories were very well paced, to my way of thinking, and they kept me going all the way through them.

Thanks so much for the compliments. Makes me remember why I write when I read something like that. I'm glad we "connected" that way.

quote:
If I had any issues with this book, it was probably the Emerald Enclave didn't quite get as much fleshing out as I would have liked (though I did like Vambram and Shinthala's "compare and contrast" points of view). The other issue would likely be the aforementioned Shinthala. I don't mind instant attraction, but the tryst between her and Vambram didn't feel as "organic" as it could have.

A few people have complained about the instant attraction and subsequent tryst. I probably suffered for not having enough room in the book to develop this better, but in the end, I very much saw Vambran as a "sailor" with a "friend" in every port of call and a casual attitude about sexual relations to match. As for Shinthala, I wanted to write her as this older, wiser hippie-type who's into everything green and "the summer of love" mentality. She wanted to take Vambran under her wing, in a manner of speaking. Put the two of them together, and it's just doin' what comes natural.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2007 :  01:18:16  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes, a throughly enjoyable trilogy, Thomas. Though I would've loved more 'screen time' for Xaphira and Rodolpho. Still, I'll not say more in case I spill Emerald sceptre spoilers!

Edited by - BlackAce on 16 Jun 2007 01:18:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000