Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Ruby Guardian (Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2004 :  20:48:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In a pretty bad weekend, something good happened with the arrival today of The Ruby Guardian. I just finished my second read of The Sapphire Crescent last night so the timing is perfect.

The novel's cover looks beautiful. The novel comes in at 308 pages and comes with a map of Arrabar. I'm looking forward to reading what will happen next to the Vambran's family.

SB

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2004 :  03:24:25  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait I thought that it came out in November????

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2004 :  03:35:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

Wait I thought that it came out in November????

FR paperbacks have been coming out early. I recall mentioning this in a previous thread but who knows which one.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2004 :  19:23:10  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Ahhh, I have been anxiously awaiting this particular tome for a good year, SiriusBlack. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the opening chapters (without spoilers of course)

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  04:10:28  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Ahhh, I have been anxiously awaiting this particular tome for a good year, SiriusBlack. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the opening chapters (without spoilers of course)

I'm 48 pages in and so far it's interesting and not what I expected. I say this because save for Xaphira, the Matrell family has not turned up yet. Instead, Thomas M. Reid is showing the plotting going on by those who are wishing to stir up trouble in the region. I definitly feel this is a middle book and is building towards something very big perhaps for the region by the third book. The noble plotting is great as always, Xaphira is fun to read, and the intrigue makes me long to see this region covered in a sourcebook.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  09:26:31  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OOOOooooo The Ruby Guardian! ::drool:: I too have been waiting for this novel, as The Sapphire Crescent is one of my favorite FR novels, the style and rate of flow was just perfect

Keep us posted with the wow-factor Sirius, hopefully this novel will surface in my local store within the next week.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  16:09:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
Keep us posted with the wow-factor Sirius, hopefully this novel will surface in my local store within the next week.

Two different assassination attempts within pages of each other as I continued reading last night. Wow enough for you?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  16:21:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Two different assassination attempts within pages of each other as I continued reading last night. Wow enough for you?

Interesting.

I assume the assassination attempts were on the same person?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  17:35:17  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

In a pretty bad weekend, something good happened with the arrival today of The Ruby Guardian. I just finished my second read of The Sapphire Crescent last night so the timing is perfect.

What!?!
I haven't even gotten my author copies, yet! I'm very jealous. I guess I'll be making a trip to the bookstore today to see if it's in.

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  18:02:23  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting....the readers get the book before the author!? The gods must be crazy

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  19:49:22  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Nope, two different members of the Matrell family.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  19:51:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid
I haven't even gotten my author copies, yet! I'm very jealous.

I've made an FR author jealous. I think my life's work is done now.

quote:

I guess I'll be making a trip to the bookstore today to see if it's in.

Which bookstore? If it's B&N or another chain, I'll be delightfully surprised if they have it.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  06:06:24  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
C'mon Thomas.You made us wait long enough.Can't a few of us get a leg up on ya????

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  06:13:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Nope, two different members of the Matrell family.

Hmmm... again, very interesting.

Can you state which members exactly? I'm not too worried about spoilers, but it might be worthwhile warning others before hand if you decide to share the details...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  13:50:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Can you state which members exactly? I'm not too worried about spoilers, but it might be worthwhile warning others before hand if you decide to share the details...

If the thread's title isn't establishing that there will be spoilers, I doubt anything else will help. The Matrell family members that are in peril were Vambran and Emriana. Plus, Vambran's uncle is also being targeted. Thus, the villians are quite active once again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  14:17:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks .

Now, from what you've read so far, is The Ruby Guardian more compelling in terms of the plot than The Sapphire Crescent, or less so?

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Oct 2004 14:19:46
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2004 :  15:19:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks .

Now, from what you've read so far, is The Ruby Guardian more compelling in terms of the plot than The Sapphire Crescent, or less so?

Well, recall, I'm only a little of a third through the novel. However, right now, I'd give the nod to The Sapphire Crescent.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2004 :  14:37:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished this novel last night. Good timing as Shining South will arrive today.

The Ruby Guardian stands as a fine novel in a series I'm really enjoying. The second half of the novel was the most compelling for me as the various Matrell clan members deal with foes in a variety of settings. This novel was difficult to read at times. However, this had nothing to do with the writing which was fine. It was due to the fact that the Matrell family really takes a beating in this novel. Thomas M. Reid does a really good job of bringing a good collection of villians that make me long to see them suffer some horrible fate. The villians haven't reached the Bolton/Frey level with me (George R.R. Martin reference), but they are rising.

Final count for the Matrell if I'm counting right:

1 Dead; 1 undead; 2 imprisoned; 1 who has turned on the family; and we still have a novel to go.

This is a middle novel and you can tell as we are left with more than one cliffhanger. There is a magical plague now in the region and a conspiracy that reaches to the highest government and religious office in Arrabar. Plus, Reid delivers a plot twist at the end that I never saw coming and that made my jaw drop open. Suffice to say, nothing has been as it seems apparently since the start of this series.

One question for the author that I'll post here.

Thomas M. Reid:

On pages 78-80, Vambran receives some assistance from a sea elf. On page 208, it appears that Emriana also has received some assistance from a sea elf. I know I'm not going to get any clear answers from an author. However, any chance the reason this sea elf or elves keep assisting the family might be addressed in the last novel?

Thanks again for a good read.

SB
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2004 :  17:37:52  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know I'm not going to get any clear answers from an author. However, any chance the reason this sea elf or elves keep assisting the family might be addressed in the last novel?

Yep.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2004 :  19:37:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I know I'm not going to get any clear answers from an author. However, any chance the reason this sea elf or elves keep assisting the family might be addressed in the last novel?

Yep.

Thomas

Thank you. Additionally, it was nice in this novel to get a look inside the Emerald Enclave. I didn't realize how violent they can get when motivated.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  09:28:19  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anybody else got a copy of this highly-anticipated book? I was hoping it would be out in the UK this week but other than Sirius, nobody over in the US has mentioned seeing it anywhere

Quick question - is there a map included in the novel?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  12:58:26  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

Thomas

Thank you. Additionally, it was nice in this novel to get a look inside the Emerald Enclave. I didn't realize how violent they can get when motivated.

Well, not that it would take much, but that sealed the deal for me. The Rotting Plauge, and the Emerald Enclave? I wonder if the E.E. is portrayed as I've always thought of them (as some unholy combination of Earth First, Earth Liberation Front, CARE, IMF, etc... the benevolent appearing 'over-power' that isn't so benevolent if you don't toe the party line), but then again, that's just my campaigns (I liked Jewel of Turmish; but saw the Druid portrayed in there as more on the less reactionary end of the organization.)

Lysander

Defender of the Second Edition
Moderator, Project Gemengan, Worlds of D&D
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  14:09:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Has anybody else got a copy of this highly-anticipated book? I was hoping it would be out in the UK this week but other than Sirius, nobody over in the US has mentioned seeing it anywhere

Quick question - is there a map included in the novel?

Online vendors are now showing it as available. There is a map of Arrabar in the novel that shows prominent locations such as the Matrell estate, other prominent family estates, Waukeen's temple, etc.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  14:10:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lysander
I wonder if the E.E. is portrayed as I've always thought of them (as some unholy combination of Earth First, Earth Liberation Front, CARE, IMF, etc... the benevolent appearing 'over-power' that isn't so benevolent if you don't toe the party line), but then again, that's just my campaigns

You're not the only one. In discussing the novel with another FR fan, she mentioned that is how she was told to view the EE when she first started gaming in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2004 :  22:39:38  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooooh! 1 Matrell dead. My money's either on Hetta or...er...been too long since I read the SC, so I can't think of anyone else

Anyway, I can't wait for this book

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Check out my webpage at http://iankappos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2004 :  00:02:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valondil the Ranger

Oooooh! 1 Matrell dead. My money's either on Hetta or...er...been too long since I read the SC, so I can't think of anyone else

Anyway, I can't wait for this book

One of my players finished the book today. She really enjoyed it as well although her comment for the novel's end was: "Not good. Not good at all."
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2004 :  01:01:33  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn. That can't be good. I'm currently reading Shadow's Witness. After that I plan on reading Twilight Falling, and I've already heard about the cliffhanger in that book.

Too many of these things!

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2004 :  01:05:46  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoops, didn't notice there was a second page. That just goes to show how much I'm paying attention

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2004 :  16:11:42  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In case anyone is interested, Wizards has posted a new character profile I put together for the Scions of Arrabar trilogy, as well as a repost of the author profile I did last year, before the first book came out. Note that the accompanying picture is several years old; I have considerably less hair now.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2004 :  16:18:06  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In case anyone is interested, Wizards has posted a new character profile I put together for the Scions of Arrabar trilogy, as well as a repost of the author profile I did last year, before the first book came out. Note that the accompanying picture is several years old; I have considerably less hair now.

Thomas

Well met

Oh we're all certainly very interested, Thomas In fact, Lady Kazandra stopped by to announce such only a few days past. Thank ye for providing the links here, nevertheless, it's a good idea considering the discussion herein

Now, if only I can get my hands on a copy of The Ruby Guardian, the constant daily trips to my local hobby store are beginning to wear on my knees

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 02 Nov 2004 16:19:11
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2004 :  05:41:31  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo
[brNow, if only I can get my hands on a copy of The Ruby Guardian, the constant daily trips to my local hobby store are beginning to wear on my knees

You and me both, Alaundo. I still don't have a copy!

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000