Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Recommended Books
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gwenfloor
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  02:36:20  Show Profile  Visit Gwenfloor's Homepage Send Gwenfloor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have plenty of Forgotten Realms game products, but I was planning on expanding my collection into the novel area. I currently have "Elminster, The Making of a Mage," and I like it so far. I would like to hear from you Realms enthusiasts what you would recommend as good reading. I have heard of good reviews about the Legacy of the Drow and the Icewind Dale trilogy over at Amazon.
I would also appreciate books with Elminster as the main protagonist. Looks like old El's personal magnetism is still in full bloom after a thousand years.

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jun 2007 00:58:49

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  02:45:32  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Ahh, wise move, Gwenfloor Indeed, this is often discussed here at Candlekeep. See this scroll, for instance.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Gwenfloor
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  02:57:35  Show Profile  Visit Gwenfloor's Homepage Send Gwenfloor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll check out the Sembia series, as well as Elminster's Daughter, as well as the two book series that I mentioned in my previous post.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  17:19:59  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gwenfloor

I'll check out the Sembia series, as well as Elminster's Daughter, as well as the two book series that I mentioned in my previous post.

Well met

Splendid! The Sembia series is certainly a great start and one that I constantly recommend.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  23:18:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget to check out Spellfire.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2007 :  00:46:33  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Ah, yes. Spellfire is one that I would heartily recommend as well.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 09 Jun 2007 00:47:21
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2007 :  00:58:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This scroll really belongs in the FR Novels section...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2007 :  01:26:59  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
now that it is in the novels portion of the site , yes check out spellfire
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  05:00:10  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

quote:

Not to be too contradictory but I would rather chew tin foil than read Spellfire again.

I would recommend Ms Cunningham's Sword and Song books and the recent Year of Rogue Dragon trilogy myself. Plus, I would grab as many of the old Harper books that I could. And the Cleric Quintet

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  05:39:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

Not to be too contradictory but I would rather chew tin foil than read Spellfire again.

Yes, not everyone likes that book. I'd go so far as to say that people tend to either love it or hate it. However, I would be remiss if I didn't recommend it, since I enjoyed it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  08:10:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually not a fan of Ed's fiction, myself. I don't dislike it (except for one book), but it doesn't really do anything for me. I've only really enjoyed two of his novels.

Having heard, many times, about how badly the editor(s) treated Spellfire, I think I'd really enjoy it if Ed's original version were to be published.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  16:20:45  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

quote:

I would recommend Ms Cunningham's Sword and Song books and the recent Year of Rogue Dragon trilogy myself. Plus, I would grab as many of the old Harper books that I could. And the Cleric Quintet

Minus the eating tin foil piece , I would second your other recommendations, as they are also great reads.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  03:37:52  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm actually not a fan of Ed's fiction, myself. I don't dislike it (except for one book), but it doesn't really do anything for me. I've only really enjoyed two of his novels.

I liked Stormlight myself. And the Cormyr books were OK. Other than that, forget it for me. In fairness though, I have not read all of the El books nor have I tried the Swords of Eveningstar yet

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  23:44:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try Swords of Eveningstar...you might like it. I'd say it's probably one of Ed's best works.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  04:19:16  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Try Swords of Eveningstar...you might like it. I'd say it's probably one of Ed's best works.

as it is now coming in paperback I will most assuredly give it the old college try

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000