Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Attn: Dm's of the FR World Heelp!!!!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2004 :  17:03:51  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Couple things.

Here's the setting:
A PC makes his move silently and Hide and is only inches away from his target he says " I want to slip my dagger in front him and slit his neck" Can He? Or does he still (even with so utterly impossible to miss) have to roll out the damage and sneak attack stuff???

I find that my Pc's sometimes try to call shots and such but in 3.5 you can't or should I say there's no rule on it.

ANd second. Is it me or do your NPC's die at 0? I just forget that they have till -9 even though their unconciuos, Granted most of the time the NPC's are left there to die or burned, buried or something but what if they stablize I often forget that 0 isn't dead for an Npc which is gonna make for some interesting reappearances. I was just curious to know if I was the only Dm that forgot that little Tibi.

"The Cure to Ignorance is Knowledge"

-Aristotle-

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2004 :  17:13:46  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The character still has to roll sneak attack damage. If you're feeling generous, and the attacked character seems to be utterly defenseless, you may rule that the defender is helpless, which would permit the rogue to take a coup de grace attack on him as a full round action (see the PH for rules on how this works). There are no rules for called shots, at least not provided by the core rules. Remember also that as a character gets closer, Hide and Move Silently checks get tougher, because those checks depend not only on skill, but the distance from the character making the opposed check.

NPCs die at -10 hp. At exactly 0 hp, a character is unconscious. At -1 and below, they are "dying," and unless they receive help from another character, or have an ability which prevents it (or unless they stabilize), NPCs will lose 1 hp per round until death, just like PCs do. Keep in mind that none of this applies to constructs and undead, who are destroyed at 0 hp.
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2004 :  19:02:12  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say that slitting someone's throat that isn't tied up or otherwise helpless is a sneak attack. Some people are better at sneak attacks then others. Some targets are easier to have their throats slit (i.e. have lower hp). If the target was under a hold person spell, then I would go ahead and give them a coup de grace. In other words, I agree with Myst.

I've tried to remember about enemies and if they get to -9. A lot of the opponenets that the party has fought have been mercenaries. There is also a paladin in the group. It has slowed the party up somewhat when they have to stablize and then turn over to authorities the mercenaries who attacked them. Many of these mercenaries were tricked or fooled into attacking the PCs or just defending the NPCs.

For really bad enemies, I have them show up latter, to really suprise the players. So, once again, I agree with Myst.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2004 :  19:34:00  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One good trick is to see if the characters see all of their opponents, and if not have one slip back in to use a potion to cure one of the more powerful opponents to harass the characters. Of course they will die in a few rounds depending on how much damage they have taken.
I agree, unless the victim is helpless the character still must make their roll. The more experienced the victim is, the better chance to survive. Even if the character is successful, they may not kill the person their slitting the throat of. Call it quick reaction, if they're lucky you can tell the player their neck armor, necklace, etc. interfered.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2004 :  21:31:30  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slitting someone's throat is better represented by the death attack available to assassins (and some assassin-like prc's). The assassin studies their victim for 3 rounds (18 seconds) and then makes a single attack which must hit and the victim must fail their saving throw.

Barring the death attack, he would merely be performing a sneak attack against a flat-footed and flanked opponent.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

AutoSponge
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2004 :  23:43:20  Show Profile  Visit AutoSponge's Homepage Send AutoSponge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He can describe it any way he wants (he can do 10 backflips before he attempts to cut the opponent's throat while doing a handstand and holding the knife in his foot) but the rules are clear, the opponent is only flat-footed unless he's "paralyzed, held, bound, sleeping, unconscious, or otherwise completely at an opponent's mercy." (def. of helpless condition).
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  03:14:49  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, how about check of some kind to render a foe helpless? Perhaps if the hide/move silently checks exceed the spot/listen check of the target by a certain number he is considered helpless.

In my game I have had the problems a lot. About the best I ever came up with is grappling and pinning someone, then coup de grace'ing them with a dagger.

Implementing something like my first idea might jack up the value of spot/listen to the point that it should be on everyone's skill lists though.

Hmm, how about an opposed level check

Ambush Check
d20+level(or HD)+wis for the target vs d20+level+dex for the attacker

Of course you could only make an Ambush Check if you succesfully hid/moved silently. For every say, 5 points over the spot/listen of the target the attacker could get a +2 circumstance bonus.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000