Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 effects on blood drain
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thorak
Acolyte

Netherlands
1 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  09:39:33  Show Profile  Visit Thorak's Homepage Send Thorak a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm DM-ing a self-made adventure where the party encounters a group of Stirges (2nd edition AD&D). The MM states that Stirges drain 2 points of blood until 12 points are consumed.

My question is:

What is the effect of blood drain?
How many blood points does a character have?
How fast does any-one regain blood-points?

Any ideas are welcome.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  15:35:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that is supposed to be hit points.

As for the effects, I'm gonna look at donating blood.

Many people get kinda woozy after giving a pint of blood, and strenuous activity is discouraged for a while after that. And I believe it takes the body like 56 days to fully replenish the blood supply, though after just a few hours, you're not likely to feel any effects of blood loss.

So, how I'd handle this:

Call blood points hit points. When the character has lost 10% of their hit points due to blood loss, make a Constitution check to stay conscious. If they lose more blood after that, make more Constitution checks, and start adding modifiers on to it.

Also add modifiers if the character hasn't eaten recently, and/or is under the influence of alcohol or other substances that make you do silly things when you have too much.

For the next several hours, say 4 or 6, I'd also force a Constitution check for any strenous activity, like running, swimming, climbing, combat, etc. After that time frame has passed, I'd let the characters act normally.

Of course, all this assumes no magical healing takes place. I'd say that magical healing replaces the lost blood, so unless the character has lost a lot of blood and then only gets a cure light wounds, then the healing should cover the blood loss. If the character isn't fully healed, then I'd keep applying the above penalties, but only if the damage remaining was more than 10% and only due to blood loss.

After a meal and a night's rest, I'd forget about the whole thing, and just consider it lost hit points.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rabilard
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  09:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Rabilard's Homepage Send Rabilard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not call blood points con points, assigning each point as one poinot of Constitution damage? That's the way vampires drain blood in 3/3.5. Or is this a 2nd ed question?

By heart and hand
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  15:08:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rabilard

Why not call blood points con points, assigning each point as one poinot of Constitution damage? That's the way vampires drain blood in 3/3.5. Or is this a 2nd ed question?

I thought about that, but that would mean that a character with a low Constitution could be killed by a single stirge...

Go to Top of Page

Rabilard
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  02:55:26  Show Profile  Visit Rabilard's Homepage Send Rabilard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Might be fair when you think about it. In the War of the Spider Queen book IV Extinction, an 18th level character, Halisstra Melarn, is almost killed by a swarm of stirges. If all they were draining was hp, she'd have been fine. Least, that's what I think. I'm kinda surprised stirges weren't in any of the MMs, I thought they were.

By heart and hand
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  03:09:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Might be fair when you think about it. In the War of the Spider Queen book IV Extinction, an 18th level character, Halisstra Melarn, is almost killed by a swarm of stirges. If all they were draining was hp, she'd have been fine. Least, that's what I think. I'm kinda surprised stirges weren't in any of the MMs, I thought they were.

Nah, a swarm could still do the deed if it was HP. Call it 20 stirges, doing 12 points of damage, each -- that's 240 points of damage.

On the other hand, if I'm playing a mage with a low Constitution, I could be 18th level, and get killed by a single stirge in my sleep. Or I could be a fighter with awesome Constitution, and get killed by 2 of them. That's why I say go with hit points.

Go to Top of Page

Rabilard
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  03:17:45  Show Profile  Visit Rabilard's Homepage Send Rabilard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I'm pretty sure I've seen a stirge, it was in the Adventure, Forge of Fury. Here it is:

Stirge: CR 1/2; Tiny beast; HD 1d10; HP 5 (average); Init +4 (dex); Spd 10 ft., fly 40 ft. (average); AC 16; Atk +6 touch (1d3-4, touch); Face/Reach 2 1/2 ft. by 2 1/2 ft./0 ft.; SA Attach, blood drain; AL N; SV Fort +2, Red +6, Will +1; Str 3, Dex 19, Con 10, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 6.
Skills and Feats: Hide +14; Weapon Finesse (touch).
Special Attacks: Attach: Successful attack allow it to latch eight pincers into victim, giving it AC 12. Blood drain: Causes 1d4 points of temporary con damage each round, to a maximum of 4 point of COn damage.

That's weird; I seem to remember the Stirges needed to win a grapple to do the blood drain. Guess not.
These guys are nasty, aren't they?

By heart and hand

Edited by - Rabilard on 28 May 2004 03:19:13
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  06:39:52  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Of course, all this assumes no magical healing takes place. I'd say that magical healing replaces the lost blood, so unless the character has lost a lot of blood and then only gets a cure light wounds, then the healing should cover the blood loss.

And that assumes that healing spells are free lunches. I'd prefer to say that healing takes some out of the recipient as well, meaning that generally people still feel a bit weakened after being damaged severely.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Rabilard
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  15:36:36  Show Profile  Visit Rabilard's Homepage Send Rabilard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*cough* Ehr-herm! The stirges as I listed them came from the 3rd edition adventure designed by Bruce R Cordell and published by WotC. It's official, the stirge damages Con.

By heart and hand
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  11:54:27  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*cough* Ehr-herm! The stirges as I listed them came from the 3rd edition adventure designed by Bruce R Cordell and published by WotC. It's official, the stirge damages Con.

Yes, but he wants to know the answer for the 2nd edition AD&D stirge, see his first post! Anyway, 3.x stirges can be found in the Monster Manual.
I'd say hit points too, but its best not to listen to me! :D

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Rabilard
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  11:57:19  Show Profile  Visit Rabilard's Homepage Send Rabilard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

quote:

Yes, but he wants to know the answer for the 2nd edition AD&D stirge, see his first post! Anyway, 3.x stirges can be found in the Monster Manual.
I'd say hit points too, but its best not to listen to me! :D

Are you sure? The way the conversation went, at least with Wooly Rupert, it sounded like it was a 3rd edition answer he was looking for? In 2nd ed, I completely concur it should be hit point damage. I don't remember much that actually took away ability score points. They were commonly much lower than they are in 3rd and 3.5, even with rolls of 4d6 minus the lowest. Boy that brings up good memories.

By heart and hand
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  12:25:13  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thorak

I'm DM-ing a self-made adventure where the party encounters a group of Stirges (2nd edition AD&D). The MM states that Stirges drain 2 points of blood until 12 points are consumed.

My question is:

What is the effect of blood drain?
How many blood points does a character have?
How fast does any-one regain blood-points?

Any ideas are welcome.

Go to Top of Page

Rabilard
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  12:37:58  Show Profile  Visit Rabilard's Homepage Send Rabilard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, well, ok, there was the first post...but who reads that!?

By heart and hand
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  14:26:42  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000