Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Ideal 3.5 Edition Anti-Fiend Party?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2024 :  01:14:30  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Once more unto the breach, my friends!

Here's what I was thinking.
1) Paladin of Tyr that's a member of either the Knights of the Merciful Sword (who, to my knowledge specialize in fighting demons), Knights of the Holy Judgment (namely if dealing with devils), or (in either case) the Hammers of Grimjaws. PrC-wise, might likely have levels in Knight of the Chalice (Complete Warrior), or Hellreaver (if fighting fiends directly) or Soulguard from Fiendish Codex II(if fiendish possession of one or more individuals is a key plot element).

2) (Gold or Shield) Dwarf Fighter with levels in Dwarven Defender (for tanking) or Barbarian (race can vary), likely with levels in Frenzied Berserker (CW) or Hellreaver.

3) Cleric with the Good domain*. Likely may want to invest in spells like Magic Circle Against Evil, Dimensional Anchor and similar spells to prevent a fiend from teleporting away or summoning additional fiendish reinforcements. Likely PrCs include Church Inquisitor from Complete Divine(if fiendish corruption of a church of the Cleric's own faith or an allied church is involved) or Soulguard.

4) Rogue, likely of Chaotic Good alignment with levels in Hellbreaker (FC2) if devils are a major antagonist. For demons, I can't fathom anything in particular unless that PrC also works well enough for them.

5) Sorcerer or Wizard who makes particular use of spells to help whittle down fiends or (at the more merciful) send them back to their native plane (Dismissal, Banishment, etc.). Could instead be a Warlock who specializes in invocations that are very effective against fiends, possibly in order to "fight fire with fire" as the saying goes, if not be a sixth party member of said class.

Note: Can be substituted with Chaos or Law domains, depending on the Cleric's patron deity and whether or not their fighting Devils or Demons, respectively.

That's the best I can come up with off the top of my head. What do you folks think?

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2024 :  12:43:44  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Expedition to the Demonweb Pits has the prestige class Demonwrecker for divine spellcasters and Demonwrecker Arcane for arcane spellcasters. The sourcebook also shows to convert to Devilwrecker. I also recommend Exalted Arcanist, Fist of Raziel and Holy Scourge prestige classes.
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2024 :  20:19:04  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Expedition to the Demonweb Pits has the prestige class Demonwrecker for divine spellcasters and Demonwrecker Arcane for arcane spellcasters. The sourcebook also shows to convert to Devilwrecker. I also recommend Exalted Arcanist, Fist of Raziel and Holy Scourge prestige classes.

Ah, yes! The Holy Scourge from Complete Mage!

Expedition to the Demonweb Pits I don't have. Wish I got it back in the day now.

Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

Edited by - Galuf the Dwarf on 08 Sep 2024 20:19:48
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2024 :  13:44:28  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At 5th class level, a demonwrecker automatically bypasses the spell resistance of chaotic evil outsiders. All weapons within 30 feet are treated as cold iron and good-aligned for purposes of bypassing damage reduction of chaotic evil outsiders. A holy word or dictum that automatically bypasses spell resistance of demons... Hmmmm. Already has no saving throw.
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2024 :  16:59:55  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

At 5th class level, a demonwrecker automatically bypasses the spell resistance of chaotic evil outsiders. All weapons within 30 feet are treated as cold iron and good-aligned for purposes of bypassing damage reduction of chaotic evil outsiders. A holy word or dictum that automatically bypasses spell resistance of demons... Hmmmm. Already has no saving throw.

In the words of one of those psuedo-games from homestarrunner.com, "Your head a-splode!"

Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2024 :  21:51:15  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as Warlocks against fiends, would the Enlightened Spirit from Complete Mage be a viable option?

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2024 :  22:55:54  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, at 7th level you get holy blast, which not only delivers extra damage to fiends, but delivers dimensional anchor effect. At 9th level, transform magic let's you deliver targeted dispel magic by touch and heals 5 points of damage per spell level dispelled.
By the way, spirit blast delivers an extra point per die damage against undead, so enlightened spirit is a backup option for anti-undead party. I heartily endorse enlightened spirit.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2024 :  23:24:41  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot to ask if the campaign will have significant action on the Lower Planes. If this is the case (not otherwise), I ask you to consider planar champion, gatecrasher and planeshifter from Manual of the Planes 3.0. These prestige classes have capabilities of serving the basic environments of the Lower Planes as well as moving across planes. If your campaign is Prime Material go used, these options need not be considered.

Edited by - Delnyn on 09 Sep 2024 23:27:21
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2024 :  23:52:06  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back to Option 3 in the opening piece: The Church Inquisitor should have a Sacred Exorcist on standby if possession is discovered. Granted, undead spirits may possess as well as fiends.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2024 :  00:06:53  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For barbarian, you may want to consider Champion of Gwynharwyf, even if the class is more anti-evil than fiend specific.
Hellreaver needs Charisma, so melee builds need Dex as a dump stat. If paladins could freely multi class as hellreavers, then problem solved. Perhaps the knight core class?
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2024 :  01:21:41  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For barbarian, you may want to consider Champion of Gwynharwyf, even if the class is more anti-evil than fiend specific.
Hellreaver needs Charisma, so melee builds need Dex as a dump stat. If paladins could freely multi class as hellreavers, then problem solved. Perhaps the knight core class?

Perhaps, or the DM could house-rule that Knights of the Holy Judgement can freely multiclass as Hellreavers. Good point on the Barbarian, though; forgot about that.

Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2024 :  01:28:35  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I forgot to ask if the campaign will have significant action on the Lower Planes. If this is the case (not otherwise), I ask you to consider planar champion, gatecrasher and planeshifter from Manual of the Planes 3.0. These prestige classes have capabilities of serving the basic environments of the Lower Planes as well as moving across planes. If your campaign is Prime Material go used, these options need not be considered.

Not a specific campaign. I'm just brainstorming for any DMs reading these discussions of mine to help give them ideas.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31713 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2024 :  09:10:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’d forgotten how much great stuff was in FC2. You just reminded me of it all. #128541;

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2024 :  17:15:52  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I’d forgotten how much great stuff was in FC2. You just reminded me of it all. #128541;

That's another idea behind these recent threads I've made: To help bring some past materials to light.

Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2024 :  02:59:36  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, a Ranger with Outsider (Evil) as their top Favored Enemy might be a good idea, namely when coupled with the Foe Hunter PrC centered on Evil Outsiders/Fiends if not one of the previously mentioned PrCs that apply, but I thought that's a "Yawn, Rinse, Repeat" idea at this point.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000