Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tempurans and suicide?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2023 :  01:37:19  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, folks.

I was wondering...how would Tempurans feel about suicide? Would they try to talk a conflicted soul out of the deed or are they all about self-determination to the fullest extent of the concept? Where do they draw the line between exceptional valor in combat that results in a sacrifice and an outright foolish gesture? I know that, aside from a few strict morals (i.e., Tempus does not approve of the slaughtering of innocents/noncombatants or the bullying of pacifists), the members of the faith are an incredibly disparate bunch, but some guidelines (perhaps drawing from real-world sources if all else fails?) would be appreciated.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.

Edited by - Azar on 27 Aug 2023 03:07:31

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2023 :  02:16:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many (most?) large religions fracture and schism into different major churches/subsets and numerous minor temples/denominations.

Tempus is a Greater God. And he's been in the Realms for a long time, his faith is well-established. Certainly what I'd call a major religion.

And Tempus's faithful believe in combat, battle, war, conflict. I imagine that no two temples worshipping Tempus are quite alike, they have (or they'll make) plenty of differences to happily and belligerently confront each other.

They believe in glory. And in dying a glorious, worthy death. Marching into the battlefield knowing with certainty that you're going to die is not really "suicide", it's "spending" your life and making your enemies pay dearly for it.

I don't think they don't have any particular belief about free will and volition. Such irrelevancies are the domain of other deities. I don't think they'd really care if someone chooses suicide, such a death would be unworthy of their Valhalla-like afterlife but "choice" and "freedom of will" only apply to choosing to fight properly or choosing to lose. There's losers after every battle, too bad for them that they chose poorly.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 27 Aug 2023 02:24:09
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2023 :  07:09:21  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tempus fully supports and believes in suicide.

Though note this does NOT include the "I will go sit in a dark room alone and harm myself" type suicide.

But, Tempus is very much the religion of "It is better to burn out, then fade away."

While Tempus does have some small numbers of old wise worshipers that sit around and teach youngsters with stories of "well, back in my day", the VAST majority of the followers of Tempus die in battle.

And in any kind of fight or war......there are ALWAYS Suicide Missions. They are a HUGE part of Tempus culture. And the dream of very many worshipers of Tempus.

Just to name a couple from history/pop culture: The vast majority of Tempus followers would: Join with the Spartans in "300". Join with the 54th Massachusetts in "Glory". Or take on any "Dirty Dozen" or "Suicide Squad" type mission.

More then a couple worshipers of Tempus would LOVE to do some type of Heroic Sacrifice(aka Suicide). The great city is fallen, but every minute the attacking Horde of Evil can be kept back....some more innocents can escape. Plenty of worshipers of Tempus would step up to "Hold That Line" and go down in a Blaze of Glory.

Or on a more personal level a worshiper of Tempus would 'suicide' themselves against a foe like a dragon, if it would do something needed.

And, on a more personal level.....should two followers of Tempus be surrounded by the "Bolivian Army", they will do the "For a moment there I thought we were in trouble" aannnnnndddd then rush out to fight the army (and two vs an army is suicide).

BUT....no Tempus would not approve of the "I'm going to go to my room with a rope" type suicide.....BUT ALSO, if there was a follower that did "want to die" they would be MORE then willing to send them RIGHT into battle on a Suicide Mission. The Stargate movie, for example, where Jack O'neil is sent to Aybados with a nuke with orders to set it off...and blow himself up along with it...if he encounters hostile aliens.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000