Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Eric Boyd and the G Series
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

qstor
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2023 :  18:56:41  Show Profile Send qstor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I think there was an online article on perhaps some posts by Eric Boyd on using the G series in the Realms. My Google Fu escapes me. Does anyone have a copy? I think it was on the Best of the Forgotten Realms Mailing list which didn't have it on the wayback machine. A lot of that great old site is down.

"There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom" G'Kar

http://www.twitter.com/qstor2

paintphob
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2023 :  03:54:01  Show Profile Send paintphob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try section 3.4.3 of the 'Realms FAQ' on this very site.

3.4.3. How to place G1-3 in the Realms:

Buy "Giantcraft". Send the PCs up to the Ice Spires as the number of giant raids increase. Replace the giant steadings of Hartvale with G1, G2, and G3.

Eric Boyd's ideas for setting G1-3 in the South:

a) There are known hill giants in the Tejarn Hills of Amn and the eastern Small Teeth. I would place G1 there.

b) Frost Giants are unlikely to come this far south. However, if they do, they probably live in the Snowflake Mts., the Cloud Peaks, or the Giant's Run Mts. I would probably pick a remote part of the Cloud Peaks or skip this part altogether.

c) Fire giants probably live in the vicinity of a volcano. That suggests the twin peaks known as Kossuth's Eyes in the Small Teeth might harbor a fire giant hold.

If you do all this, I would suggest linking G1-3 to the Sythillusian Empire troubles. The hill giants are already part of this, simply have the frost and fire giants be part of the monster armies besieging Amn.

If you decide to add D1-3 to this as well, I would have the drow be from Guallidurth (under the Calim Desert, mentioned in DDGttU) or from Karsoluthiyl (off the coast of Baldur's Gate, under the sea floor, mentioned in DDGttU). I would probably pick Guallidurth, and tie its actions back to the Night Wars (see the history section of LoI and EoSS).
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2023 :  14:16:06  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which game rules are you using? The giants of D&D 1st edition are notably weaker than their counterparts in later editions or Pathfinder. Several of the encounters (Chief Nosnra's Great Hall) are TPK's for 4 characters of levels 8 through 12. The module assumes players (not just PCs!) are competent and reasonably knowledgeable about the game, whichever rules you use.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2023 :  15:04:10  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If folks are being creative with the G-series, I would give a shout-out to Dungeon #198 - Warrens of the Stone Giant Thane. Might be a good substitute for frost giants if you want to place the series in the south.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000