Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 [2e] Why no "The Sword Coast" box set?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2023 :  19:36:27  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello!

I was wondering: during the entirety of AD&D 2e's run, why didn't we receive a box set for the Sword Coast region similar to The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier or Lands of Intrigue? If a box set was a bit much, why not one of those softcover-only supplements with maps à la The Moonsea or The Dalelands? Was that stomping ground not quite as popular at the time as it was post-2000?

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2023 :  04:26:25  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was not all that popular. Waterdeep got two boxes. The North got a box. Really the North box covers the Sword Coast. After all the Sword Coast is just a bit of coast line....unless your a Clueless Wizard of the Coast Worker that thinks the "sword coast" is the whole world of Toril.

Baldur's Gate was used in all the video games, as it was place of lite detail. And they did leave that city, and sword coast, mostly alone as to not "step on the toes" of the video game.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2023 :  18:34:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, a lot of the cities in that region kind of got updates in the 2e book Forgotten Realms Adventures (granted light detail, but it was something).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
170 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2023 :  00:10:56  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

Hello!

I was wondering: during the entirety of AD&D 2e's run, why didn't we receive a box set for the Sword Coast region similar to The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier or Lands of Intrigue? If a box set was a bit much, why not one of those softcover-only supplements with maps à la The Moonsea or The Dalelands? Was that stomping ground not quite as popular at the time as it was post-2000?

They did. The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, 2nd Edition, itself serves as that boxed set. It has a very general guide to most of Faerun, a more detailed look at the Eastern Heartlands (Cormyr, Sembia, the Dales, Moonsea, Vast, Dragon Coast) and a focused look at the Western Heartlands, including the Sword Coast, along with a larger-scaled map.

The general idea through 1E and 2E was the two core boxed sets (1987 and 1993) serving as an overview of all of Faerun (with 1"= 90 miles maps), but them also expanding on the Heartlands (with 1"= 30 miles maps). The sourcebooks in the FR series would then expand on each region, bringing them up to the same level as the coverage of the Heartlands in the core boxes. That's what FR5: The Savage Frontier, FR9: The Bloodstone Lands, FR13: Anauaroch etc all do (also with 1"= 30 miles maps of those areas).

The FRS series was designed to then take those areas from the core boxes and flesh them out even further, with even bigger maps (1"= 15 miles) and much greater detail. That's where The Dalelands, Cormyr and The Moonsea came from (they dropped the FRS code after The Dalelands, but Cormyr and The Moonsea have the same format).

However, the FRS series didn't seem to sell very well, and the format shifted back to something more like the old FR format and focusing on as-yet unexplored lands, like the Vilhon Reach. So the Dragon Coast, the Vast and the Western Heartlands/Sword Coast never got that same level of detail as the other areas, at least not until later on.

It did get a reasonable amount of other coverage, though, with the various Waterdeep sourcebooks expanding on the Sword Coast a bit, and Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast being a notable, more relaxed kind of book about it.

Edited by - Werthead on 21 Feb 2023 00:12:26
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2023 :  03:40:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast comes to mind.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2023 :  19:02:30  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bloodtide_the_red

It was not all that popular. Waterdeep got two boxes. The North got a box. Really the North box covers the Sword Coast. After all the Sword Coast is just a bit of coast line....unless your a Clueless Wizard of the Coast Worker that thinks the "sword coast" is the whole world of Toril.

When it comes to the perception of the average WOTC employee (or, at least, enough of those who have a final say), you've a point.

Still, there were box sets for Zhentil Keep and Myth Drannor; if the issue concerns a matter of scale (that is, there supposedly wasn't enough region to expand upon), keep in mind that the whole of The Sword Coast is larger than either of those aforementioned locales.

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast comes to mind.

True, but...the various Volo's Guide to X are companion pieces (well done companion pieces, mind you, but even so they work better in tandem with a treatise covering a broader focus).

Volo's Guide to the Dalelands is paired with the Dalelands supplement.
Volo's Guide to Cormyr is paired with the Cormyr supplement.
Volo's Guide to Waterdeep is paired with the City of Splendors supplement.
Volo's Guide to the North is paired with the The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier supplement.
Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, however, is lonely .

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2023 :  21:20:07  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you go off of the question "What Volo's Guides have equivalent boxed sets?" - then yes, you're quite correct. But the Sword Coast has a ton of descriptive material in and of itself, even if it isn't in the form of a boxed set:

*Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide

*Waterdeep: City of Splendors (yes, I know this is just Waterdeep, it's already been mentioned, and it could be said I'm picking nits, but it is on the Sword Coast.

*Neverwinter Campaign Guide - even those folk who weren't wild about the 4th Edition Realms have said that this book was a must-have item. I am one of the "must-have" crowd, certainly.

*Ruins of Undermountain boxed set.

*Skullport

My absolute favorite area in the Realms, the Moonshaes, has neither a Volo's Guide or a boxed set, and that's okay - there's enough material on them that I can piece together any adventure in the islands that I have in mind. I would argue the same is true (to a much greater degree) about the Sword Coast.

And at least there's no chance the Sword Coast will have the fate of Hlondeth befall it - scoured from the face of the Realms without so much as a by-your-leave (missing Hlondeth gives me a Sad).

- OMH
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2023 :  22:48:18  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide

5e.

quote:

Neverwinter Campaign Guide

4e.

quote:

Waterdeep: City of Splendors

Imagine taking a tour of the United States of America's east coast and having a guidebook solely focused on New York City; yes, NYC is part of the region and you will get some information on nearby points of interest (likely places to make a pit stop), but that is not a guide on the coast itself.

quote:

Ruins of Undermountain boxed set.

^ Ditto, although to a lesser extent (being subterranean and all).

quote:

Skullport

Ditto again.

--- --- ---

It appears that there is 2e (and 1e, for that matter) material to be found yet much of it is scattered. A single supplement that gathered and cleaned up all the bits and pieces (beyond Volo's experiences, which is mostly about establishments to patronize) would have been appreciated.

quote:

My absolute favorite area in the Realms, the Moonshaes, has neither a Volo's Guide or a boxed set, and that's okay - there's enough material on them that I can piece together any adventure in the islands that I have in mind.

- OMH

Don't I know it; while searching for official information on Branwen's homeland, FR2 - Moonshae came to my attention. Sure enough, I bought a copy, because that's the only dedicated supplement on those "quasi-Celtic with a touch of Viking" lands that exists. How unfortunate that the islands weren't updated in a 2e book or box set.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2023 :  01:25:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't I know it; while searching for official information on Branwen's homeland, FR2 - Moonshae came to my attention. Sure enough, I bought a copy, because that's the only dedicated supplement on those "quasi-Celtic with a touch of Viking" lands that exists. How unfortunate that the islands weren't updated in a 2e book or box set.

For official material on Moonshae, there's also Halls of the High King. It was a combination adventure/sourcebook, from Ed's pen.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2023 :  21:45:37  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

For official material on Moonshae, there's also Halls of the High King. It was a combination adventure/sourcebook, from Ed's pen.

Hey, thanks. I thought that product was solely an adventure instead of a supplement which also pulls double duty as a sourcebook.

Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2023 :  04:58:55  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If it's just lore without mechanics being sought, there's also Rising Shadows: Moonshae Isles Regional Guide, that brings them up to the current era, if the DM's Guild is an acceptable medium for your search.

- OMH
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2023 :  05:32:53  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

If it's just lore without mechanics being sought, there's also Rising Shadows: Moonshae Isles Regional Guide, that brings them up to the current era, if the DM's Guild is an acceptable medium for your search.

- OMH

Nah. I'm a 3.5e -> 2e (and 1e, in specific instances) convert. The mechanics of these classic supplements are useful, of course, but I also much prefer the writing/art of the time...there's something inimitable about the TTRPG zeitgeist circa nineteen eighty-seven to nineteen ninety-nine. Plus, I have zero-point-zero percent interest in supporting Wizards of the Coast. Furthermore, like you, I can always expand upon the material already available while consulting the fine folks here as needed.

Still, the offering is appreciated .

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2023 :  05:46:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

- OMH

Nah. I'm a 3.5e -> 2e (and 1e, in specific instances) convert. The mechanics of these classic supplements are useful, of course, but I also much prefer the writing/art of the time...there's something inimitable about the TTRPG zeitgeist circa nineteen eighty-seven to nineteen ninety-nine. Plus, I have zero-point-zero percent interest in supporting Wizards of the Coast. Furthermore, like you, I can always expand upon the material already available while consulting the fine folks here as needed.

Still, the offering is appreciated .

It's a DM's Guild product. So while some of the money from the purchase would flow into WotC's coffers, you're not buying a WotC product.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
170 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2023 :  18:45:33  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a great article in Dungeon Magazine, "Backdrop: The Moonshae Isles", from #196. Probably the biggest 21st Century "official" expansion of the Moonshaes.

quote:
Really the North box covers the Sword Coast

It covers the "Sword Coast North," but not the "Sword Coast Proper," which extends from Candlekeep to roughly Waterdeep (and thus along the coast of the Sea of Swords). The Sword Coast North extends north from Waterdeep to Luskan (if not Icewind Dale), despite not being on the Sea of Swords (a slight bugbear of mine, but that ship sailed back in 2E).
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2023 :  14:38:00  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You blokes might get a kick out of this.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2023 :  13:41:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You blokes might get a kick out of this.

LOL, that IS funny. What's more funny is that that's the one region that I've run the least things in (well minus Chult and Lantan where I've run nothing, but used them for references, etc...). I've done more in the cold lands, unapproachable east, old empires, Tethyr/Calimshan, and Halruaa/Dambrath.... and I won't say I've done a lot in Halruaa/Dambrath either. Most of what I've used the north for is story purposes, unless you consider delving undermountain as exploring the north (which I don't).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2023 :  18:29:14  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that the Sword Coast south area was left less detailed to give more room to the DMs, similar to Sembia

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000