Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 "Rage spirits" in The Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2023 :  06:38:51  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello there!

In The Forgotten Realms, are there any incorporeal/invisible beings that arouse anger/battle-frenzy in others? These incendiaries need not be actual spirits (i.e., the undead), but they should at least fit the part. Whether they actively possess a victim or can evoke the feeling by their very presence also does not matter.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2443 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2023 :  20:29:19  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean like the nature/primal spirits?

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Nature_spirit

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2023 :  07:05:49  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not restricted to FR as a disclaimer. You may want to consider guecubu as found in Fiendish Codex 1.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2023 :  18:08:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Revenants are all about vengeance. Wights, specters, and some other undeads simply have an avid undying hatred for all living things.

I suppose any sorts of fiends or fiendlings would serve this purpose just fine.

There are some spells which conjure or create creatures like invisible stalkers, howling horrors, etc. Hateful, vengeful, angry entities which seemingly exist for no purpose other than to hunt and kill their specific targets.

Priests of Tempus, Malar, and Talos are well known for their inhumanly berserk, flailing, lashing, killing, destructive rages. And for their volatile temperaments.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2023 :  13:43:39  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wang liang are rageful spirits from Kara-Tur that can turn invisible

there also incarnates of anger and ragewind undead from Planescape

ragewalker fey from MM3

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2023 :  09:21:40  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am seeking entities that can make other beings rage .

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2023 :  18:49:59  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

Priests of Tempus

Arrogant Elves

Volothamp Geddarm

Imported Kender

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2023 :  21:13:11  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Incarnates from Planescape
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2023 :  21:16:12  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Incarnates from Planescape
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2023 :  21:22:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:

Priests of Tempus

Arrogant Elves

Volothamp Geddarm

Imported Kender

Sages who "absolutely know that they are correct"

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2023 :  21:25:27  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The closest I can think of to what you're looking for are the Sorrowsworn. In earlier editions, they were creatures that only feed on despair. In Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse, they introduced various sorrowsworn who each represent different emotions, including anger. Maybe take a look.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2023 :  14:31:11  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Priests of Tempus

I know that - at least in 2e - Specialty Priests of Tempus can make others rage, but that is limited to friendlies and I don't think a Tempuran would act in a sneaky manner.

quote:

Arrogant Elves

Superfluous adjective.

(I jest . They have earned my favor.)

---

Earlier, I mentioned "incorporeal/invisible beings" because I have a specific encounter in mind. See, the party is going to investigate just why a mount of a distinguished knight - an armored unicorn - randomly went berserk. Ideally, they will eventually discover that a (as of yet undetermined) hidden foe lingering nearby is the cause of this noble beast's inexplicable fury; considering the fact that these paragons of nature are resistant to quite a few forms of magic, this instigator must be unusually formidable.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2023 :  01:55:08  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would you consider a fiendish infestation that corrupts its region physically, mentally and emotionally? Perhaps a stray demoncyst associated with Eltab that reflects the demon lord's fury at being bound to Toril.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2023 :  13:39:13  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

a stray demoncyst associated with Eltab that reflects the demon lord's fury at being bound to Toril.

Oh, Delnyn, it's all Sembian to me.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2023 :  23:34:54  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

a stray demoncyst associated with Eltab that reflects the demon lord's fury at being bound to Toril.

Oh, Delnyn, it's all Sembian to me.

What do you mean "all Sembian"?
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2023 :  19:58:14  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here: have an idiom.

For whatever reason, I always believed that the nation was colored by vaguely Hellenic themes (likely a gross oversimplification that sweeps aside its manifold complexities); nevertheless, the impression has stuck.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2023 :  02:12:07  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response. I would have thought Chessenta being closer to Hellenic-inspired themes. Sembia does not register to me as such. The demoncyst would incorporate Eltab's personality even if the demon is absent. Demoncysts can infect their surroundings and its psychic imprint can pass for the non-physical cause for rage.

All explained in fluent Narfelli.

Edited by - Delnyn on 20 Dec 2023 02:13:45
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2023 :  12:37:29  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently, these "demoncysts" debuted in the Champions of Ruin book, but this "Eltab" chap first appeared in the Spellbound (!) box set. That is neat.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2023 :  13:55:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Apparently, these "demoncysts" debuted in the Champions of Ruin book, but this "Eltab" chap first appeared in the Spellbound (!) box set. That is neat.

Eltab first appeared in the 1e Dreams of the Red Wizards when it talks about the first Zulkir of Conjuration summoning him, about him being bound by the giant rune made up by the canals and streets of the city of Eltabbar (thus the name of the city). He is actually one of the first few demon lords that I can think of specifically mentioned in relation to the realms (granted Lolth definitely beat him for mention, and probably some of the others like Orcus, Graz'zt, Demogorgon, etc... came around the same time).

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 20 Dec 2023 14:23:37
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1287 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2023 :  17:12:03  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clearly, sleyvas is an agent of Talos...or is it Istishia? He doesn't strike me as an Aerdrie Faenya kind of dude.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2023 :  23:33:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Clearly, sleyvas is an agent of Talos...or is it Istishia? He doesn't strike me as an Aerdrie Faenya kind of dude.

At one point, Sleyvas may have offered token support to Talos in the form of Malyk when he was attempting to seize destructive magic. In his early years he turned to Shar, for he lost his wife and secretly blamed himself for not being home to protect her because he was being infidelious before he ever learned magic. He specifically wanted children born of their union, but since she was dead, he turned to magical methods similar to that which created Alias... though all of these children were a bit insane and more akin to a somewhat free-willed simulacrum. He was not happy with his "children" as a result. But, eventually he used someone else to manipulate time and actually rescue his "dead" wife in such a way that his past self didn't realize she had never actually died.... so that he didn't alter time. But, after he rescued her, he came to realize... he'd made so many enemies amongst his fellow Thayans that would use her to get at him, that her life would be fraught with peril, fear, and sorrow. So, out of love for her, he turned to the witches of Rashemen, offered to turn spy and was eventually forced to flee Thay after faking his death.

It was in Chessenta that he found the religion that he finally found matched his own heart... in the form of the Red Knight... for he worships her as a goddess of spell strategy. He also, in a rather roundabout way over the next ten years, inserted himself into the life of his previously unknown "daughter by love" (via a son born of a woman with whom he'd had a fling while on Gothic Earth... a son who had been hidden from him out of spite... the same son whom he had manipulated into travelling back in time to rescue his wife and promptly tried to kill upon his return because Sleyvas didn't truly understand that time was not a hungry beast that expected a life for a life).

This "daughter by love", had not stayed with Sleyvas' son, but his son had given the woman, Jillian Doncastle of Neverwinter, two children. After Sleyvas discovered he was a grandfather, he vowed to secretly watch over the young Jillian, a mage-priestess of Deneir who fancied herself a "detective". So, it came as no surprise when the diviner eventually confronted him about who he was and why he was invisibly watching her children at play, but even more surprising to him was when she decided to introduce him to his grandchildren. The next dozen years spent visiting Jillian and his grandchildren changed the heart of the aging spellhurler, but he also found that he found a rather unusual friend.... in the form of Jillian's sai... a stodgy, floating weapon calling itself Lorey Hisstory that considered itself a knowledgeable person on numerable topics.... and liked to boast about it.

So, when the floating sai came to tell him that Jillian had disappeared while trying to discover why a certain Moneylender of Waterdeep had up and disappeared... Sleyvas immediately began following the clues which she had left behind, and they would have managed to get away if not for the spellplague... which managed to merge Sleyvas' body with his spellbook, a deck of wheel of spells, and the magical weapon that he carried...

And THAT is how the formerly coldblooded spellslinging bounty killer who hunted Thayan mages for profit turned into a talking book with a talking sai and a weaveghost of Deneir for companions.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Athreeren
Learned Scribe

132 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2024 :  04:47:06  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, not a shaman lizardfolk from Chelimber spying for the Zhentarim?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2024 :  18:49:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Athreeren

So, not a shaman lizardfolk from Chelimber spying for the Zhentarim?

Lol, no, and I've often wondered if my chatting so much on realms topics ended up getting my character name in that video game, but betting its just happenstance.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000