Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Project Black Flag, ORC, and Tales of the Valiant
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2023 :  02:37:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Given the events of the last week or two, with WotC trying to destroy its competition and the rest of the TTRPG industry joining forces against them, I figured it was likely a good idea to start a separate discussion.

The ORC referenced in the subject line is the new Open RPG Creative License (ORC) that Paizo announced last week.

Kobold Press just put out a new update on Project Black Flag.

Here's the skinny, for those who've missed the previous announcement:

quote:
Project Black Flag is the code name for an upcoming Kobold Press new core fantasy RPG system, available to any publisher or creator who accepts the terms of the soon-to-be-released Open RPG Creative License (ORC). This new open, perpetual, and irrevocable Open RPG Creative License (ORC) was announced on January 12, 2023, and will be shared with the community soon.

Kobold Press expects to support both print and digital formats for Project Black Flag’s final release, and Deep Magic (both volumes) will be forward-compatible with the Project Black Flag rule system.

I thought one line was of particular note (emphasis mine):

quote:
Celeste Conowitch, our Senior Game Designer, is the lead on game design for this new fantasy RPG. She has been working on Project Black Flag behind the scenes since the summer of 2022. Additional designers and developers are currently engaged with the project, as well as several partners from the community. We will have more announcements on the creative team and project partners soon.

That makes me wonder if there were concerns or hints about WotC's actions before everything hit the fan, last week...

Obviously, there's not a lot to discuss on this topic yet, but I wanted to go ahead and have a space set aside for it. I'm going to sticky this topic for right now, as well.

Final note: Look at the Subject line again. Let's keep the discussion relevant to those things. While this is, obviously, caused by WotC's actions, I'd prefer to leave them out of this conversation. We've got the "One D&D" is coming, with a new OGL topic we can use for discussing WotC; let's not clutter this thread with further commentary about WotC.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Apr 2023 18:05:13

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2023 :  02:39:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...and then I accidentally locked the topic instead of stickying it. Oops!

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2023 :  03:20:59  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going through a lot of the videos covering this on Youtube. Sherlock Hulmes' (here) was interesting in that he mentions he's been burned before by WotC. Then there's the comments from The Rook & The Raven, producers of some great campaign and player diaries/planners that cancelling their D&D Beyond subscriptions wasn't enough.

quote:
Rook & Raven Twitter
WotC’s response to our withdrawal basically informed us that they intend to do so

They have been issuing not-very-veiled threats us and our business every few months by video chat, phone, and email since 2019, and that’s a large part of the reason we decided to cut ties

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 19 Jan 2023 03:21:47
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2023 :  03:52:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be a good reason for them to embrace the ORC.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2023 :  07:10:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
quote:
Celeste Conowitch, our Senior Game Designer, is the lead on game design for this new fantasy RPG. She has been working on Project Black Flag behind the scenes since the summer of 2022. Additional designers and developers are currently engaged with the project, as well as several partners from the community. We will have more announcements on the creative team and project partners soon.
That makes me wonder if there were concerns or hints about WotC's actions before everything hit the fan, last week...
Or perhaps WotC was concerned after learning hints of this Black Flag project ... and (in typical reactionary knee-jerky WotC fashion) stubbornly blundered forward with their own heavyhanded ideas about how to dominate the industry.

We only have access to public information so we can only spectate and speculate. We know nothing about this Black Flag project aside from the brief description above. It might have been something largely unrelated. It might have been a personal or experimental project which wouldn't normally have been approved for publication. It might have been an evil plot designed to steal from WotC. It might be nothing more than a convenient, invented, post-facto fiction.

Why would people suddenly become paranoid about the OGL after it had served them well for two decades? There was really no reason at all to worry and prepare contingencies until WotC suddenly leaked announced OGL 1.1 after many years. It seems to me that any business which had problems accepting the OGL wouldn't be likely to keep using it for so many years, they would've structured something else to divorce themselves from the OGL long ago. By which I mean something closer to 2002 than to 2022.

We're inclined to trust the underdogs and to distrust Wizbro (because they've demonstrated that they can't be trusted) - but at this time there are important facts which we just don't know.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 19 Jan 2023 07:38:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2023 :  20:09:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Playtest Packet 1 is here for Project Black Flag!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2023 :  18:06:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess this topic didn't need to be stickied...

Anyway, the name for Project Black Flag has been released: Tales of the Valiant

So far, we have a website with a very brief video: https://talesofthevaliant.com/

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2023 :  01:09:40  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Guess this topic didn't need to be stickied...

Anyway, the name for Project Black Flag has been released: Tales of the Valiant

So far, we have a website with a very brief video: https://talesofthevaliant.com/

And on the heals of the Valiant, comes the ORC:
ORC License First Draft

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2023 :  04:04:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm kind of amused that the draft is watermarked quite prominently as a draft... unlike the "draft" version of the OGL that prompted this whole mess.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2023 :  14:10:00  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm kind of amused that the draft is watermarked quite prominently as a draft... unlike the "draft" version of the OGL that prompted this whole mess.

I noticed that as well.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000