Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Inquiry: Dogma of Torm
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2022 :  18:17:20  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Scribes,
I'd like your opinion on the following line from Faiths and Avatars, page 164: "As the sword arm of justice, the Tormish are expected to bring painful, quick deaths to betrayers."

I got the impression that Torm commands his followers to kill even evil enemies as quickly and efficiently as possible, not indulge in sadism. If an enemy suffers while getting killed, so be it. That is not the same as consciously inflicting more pain than is necessary to kill.

I can certainly see certain sects of Tormish who would go for the Mortal Kombat-style "Fatality" route. Whether Torm would condone their actions is another point of discussion.

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2022 :  18:27:58  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One might say that in the event a Tormish dispatches a betrayer (there needs more clarification on what this might be), they would opt for a more painful death than a painless one. For example, stabbing an enemy in the chest would be brutally painful, but rather quick as opposed to say, beheading them.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2022 :  20:50:38  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

One might say that in the event a Tormish dispatches a betrayer (there needs more clarification on what this might be), they would opt for a more painful death than a painless one. For example, stabbing an enemy in the chest would be brutally painful, but rather quick as opposed to say, beheading them.

Agreed dispatch needs clarification. Maybe the question should be rephrased as the following: If killing an enemy, which takes higher priority, painful,or quick?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2022 :  21:32:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Violent death is sure to be cruel and painful no matter how quickly the attacker intends it to be.

Torm is a soldier's god. Soldiers fight and kill people. His mission is to bring death to enemies, not to falter with softness and mercy and weakness when these enemies must be slain.

I doubt many of Torm's followers are sadists. They'll slash your throat, crush your skull, sever your limbs, or puncture your organs if that's what wins the fight - but they likely won't make you bleed and suffer first if it can be avoided. And they'll likely offer (demand) alternatives before escalating to lethal violence.

Torm is a Lawful Good deity. A servant or ally of Tyr.

But he used to Lawful Neutral (though still a servant or ally of Lawful Good Tyr). Perhaps some factions or followers of his faith still adhere to the old "Neutral" attitudes. "Duty, Loyalty, Obedience, Victory" more than "Righteous Champion Of Good Smiting Evil". Soldiers fight in different ways, soldiers fight for different reasons. Torm's faith likely has some use for all who choose to follow his banner.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2022 :  21:46:30  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ayrik,
Did the OGB or a Dragon article list Torm as Lawful Neutral? I would like to do some more homework on Torn since my 1st edition FR knowledge is not up to standards.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2022 :  23:01:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I doubt many of Torm's followers are sadists. They'll slash your throat, crush your skull, sever your limbs, or puncture your organs if that's what wins the fight - but they likely won't make you bleed and suffer first if it can be avoided. And they'll likely offer (demand) alternatives before escalating to lethal violence.

The reference also speaks of a "quick" death, which would preclude doing much of anything sadistic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2022 :  23:04:18  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Agreed dispatch needs clarification. Maybe the question should be rephrased as the following: If killing an enemy, which takes higher priority, painful,or quick?

-I would assume quick. All martial death is painful, so whatever method they choose to use will fulfill that criteria.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2022 :  12:52:58  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

But he used to Lawful Neutral (though still a servant or ally of Lawful Good Tyr). Perhaps some factions or followers of his faith still adhere to the old "Neutral" attitudes. "Duty, Loyalty, Obedience, Victory" more than "Righteous Champion Of Good Smiting Evil". Soldiers fight in different ways, soldiers fight for different reasons. Torm's faith likely has some use for all who choose to follow his banner.

To me, this is odd. If anything, Tyr - or at least his followers as a collective - comes across as Lawful Neutral (Good) whereas Torm seems like the proper model of a Paladin (i.e., a righteous warrior that emphasizes Good over Law when the two viewpoints clash). It is true that quite a few faiths feature their own orders of Paladins, but isn't Torm basically THE god of Paladins?

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2022 :  18:00:06  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait, when was Torm ever lawful NEUTRAL? He's LG as far back as 2e from what I can see at quick check.

Perhaps there's some mix up with Helm?

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2022 :  22:09:35  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller Hero

Wait, when was Torm ever lawful NEUTRAL? He's LG as far back as 2e from what I can see at quick check.

Perhaps there's some mix up with Helm?

Even in 1e, he is Lawful Good.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000