Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Inquiry: Dogma of Torm

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Delnyn Posted - 29 Oct 2022 : 18:17:20
Scribes,
I'd like your opinion on the following line from Faiths and Avatars, page 164: "As the sword arm of justice, the Tormish are expected to bring painful, quick deaths to betrayers."

I got the impression that Torm commands his followers to kill even evil enemies as quickly and efficiently as possible, not indulge in sadism. If an enemy suffers while getting killed, so be it. That is not the same as consciously inflicting more pain than is necessary to kill.

I can certainly see certain sects of Tormish who would go for the Mortal Kombat-style "Fatality" route. Whether Torm would condone their actions is another point of discussion.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Azar Posted - 01 Nov 2022 : 22:09:35
quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller Hero

Wait, when was Torm ever lawful NEUTRAL? He's LG as far back as 2e from what I can see at quick check.

Perhaps there's some mix up with Helm?

Even in 1e, he is Lawful Good.
Storyteller Hero Posted - 01 Nov 2022 : 18:00:06
Wait, when was Torm ever lawful NEUTRAL? He's LG as far back as 2e from what I can see at quick check.

Perhaps there's some mix up with Helm?

Azar Posted - 31 Oct 2022 : 12:52:58
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

But he used to Lawful Neutral (though still a servant or ally of Lawful Good Tyr). Perhaps some factions or followers of his faith still adhere to the old "Neutral" attitudes. "Duty, Loyalty, Obedience, Victory" more than "Righteous Champion Of Good Smiting Evil". Soldiers fight in different ways, soldiers fight for different reasons. Torm's faith likely has some use for all who choose to follow his banner.

To me, this is odd. If anything, Tyr - or at least his followers as a collective - comes across as Lawful Neutral (Good) whereas Torm seems like the proper model of a Paladin (i.e., a righteous warrior that emphasizes Good over Law when the two viewpoints clash). It is true that quite a few faiths feature their own orders of Paladins, but isn't Torm basically THE god of Paladins?
Lord Karsus Posted - 29 Oct 2022 : 23:04:18
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Agreed dispatch needs clarification. Maybe the question should be rephrased as the following: If killing an enemy, which takes higher priority, painful,or quick?

-I would assume quick. All martial death is painful, so whatever method they choose to use will fulfill that criteria.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Oct 2022 : 23:01:45
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I doubt many of Torm's followers are sadists. They'll slash your throat, crush your skull, sever your limbs, or puncture your organs if that's what wins the fight - but they likely won't make you bleed and suffer first if it can be avoided. And they'll likely offer (demand) alternatives before escalating to lethal violence.

The reference also speaks of a "quick" death, which would preclude doing much of anything sadistic.
Delnyn Posted - 29 Oct 2022 : 21:46:30
Ayrik,
Did the OGB or a Dragon article list Torm as Lawful Neutral? I would like to do some more homework on Torn since my 1st edition FR knowledge is not up to standards.
Ayrik Posted - 29 Oct 2022 : 21:32:49
Violent death is sure to be cruel and painful no matter how quickly the attacker intends it to be.

Torm is a soldier's god. Soldiers fight and kill people. His mission is to bring death to enemies, not to falter with softness and mercy and weakness when these enemies must be slain.

I doubt many of Torm's followers are sadists. They'll slash your throat, crush your skull, sever your limbs, or puncture your organs if that's what wins the fight - but they likely won't make you bleed and suffer first if it can be avoided. And they'll likely offer (demand) alternatives before escalating to lethal violence.

Torm is a Lawful Good deity. A servant or ally of Tyr.

But he used to Lawful Neutral (though still a servant or ally of Lawful Good Tyr). Perhaps some factions or followers of his faith still adhere to the old "Neutral" attitudes. "Duty, Loyalty, Obedience, Victory" more than "Righteous Champion Of Good Smiting Evil". Soldiers fight in different ways, soldiers fight for different reasons. Torm's faith likely has some use for all who choose to follow his banner.
Delnyn Posted - 29 Oct 2022 : 20:50:38
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

One might say that in the event a Tormish dispatches a betrayer (there needs more clarification on what this might be), they would opt for a more painful death than a painless one. For example, stabbing an enemy in the chest would be brutally painful, but rather quick as opposed to say, beheading them.

Agreed dispatch needs clarification. Maybe the question should be rephrased as the following: If killing an enemy, which takes higher priority, painful,or quick?
Diffan Posted - 29 Oct 2022 : 18:27:58
One might say that in the event a Tormish dispatches a betrayer (there needs more clarification on what this might be), they would opt for a more painful death than a painless one. For example, stabbing an enemy in the chest would be brutally painful, but rather quick as opposed to say, beheading them.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000