Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 FR Settlement types - Population size
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Divinity
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2021 :  00:28:03  Show Profile  Visit Divinity's Homepage Send Divinity a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking for a source on the names of settlement types (Thorp, Hamlet) and a corresponding population size to each. Realmshelp.net has a town generator page that lists population size to settlement type eg; Thorp, 20-80 people. However, I'm wondering if someone just made that up, or is there a source behind this information. Thanks.

Yes, As a Realms cartographer, I'm also aware that labels and populations are pretty inconsistent through time, but I'm hoping something like realmshelp shows is listed someplace.

- Craig Vincent
My Faerūn Continent Map

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2021 :  01:08:22  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2E Forgotten Realms Adventures covered many settlements of all sizes spanning the Heartlands from the Sword Coast to the Moonsea. Numerous other settlements of lesser prominence (and all of Sembia) were not included, but something is better than nothing.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

HighOne
Learned Scribe

214 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2021 :  03:23:22  Show Profile Send HighOne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

2E Forgotten Realms Adventures covered many settlements of all sizes spanning the Heartlands from the Sword Coast to the Moonsea. Numerous other settlements of lesser prominence (and all of Sembia) were not included, but something is better than nothing.

He's not looking for settlement info, he's looking for an official, canonical definition for "thorp," "hamlet," and other words used to classify settlements by population size. I.e. what is the official population range of a "thorp?"

Personally, I don't believe these words have ever been concretely defined in the Forgotten Realms, but I could be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7978 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2021 :  03:47:58  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah.

I agree, I don't think Realmslore specifies any definitions or categories for these terms. They're taken from English language - which itself adopted or repurposed these terms from other languages. It's possible that Dungeon Master Guides (or other DM material which discusses things like income from land/trade/etc) might have specific population thresholds which separate things like a "village" from a "hamlet" from a "township".

Most terminology in old Realmslore is derived from Gygaxian, a peculiar dialect of English which makes heavy use of obscure and obsolete lexicons. A "thorp" or a "hamlet" is basically just a different way of saying "ye olde community". It's flavour text.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Palant
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2021 :  03:45:00  Show Profile Send Palant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Divinity

I'm looking for a source on the names of settlement types (Thorp, Hamlet) and a corresponding population size to each. Realmshelp.net has a town generator page that lists population size to settlement type eg; Thorp, 20-80 people. However, I'm wondering if someone just made that up, or is there a source behind this information. Thanks.

Yes, As a Realms cartographer, I'm also aware that labels and populations are pretty inconsistent through time, but I'm hoping something like realmshelp shows is listed someplace.

You need dmg 3.5 ed - these types of settlementts are described here.

OR

just use this link -- https://www.realmshelps.net/adventuring/dm-ing/towns.shtml
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000