Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 New cover art for WotC Q4 products!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  08:51:07  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Frostburn

Monster Manual III

Eberron - Whispers of the Vampire's Blade

The Two Swords

Libris Mortis: The Book of Undead

Shining South

Eberron - Sharn: City of Towers

Complete Arcane

Dragonlance - Test of the Twins

D&D Map Folio 3D

Sojourn

Some nice artwork there. Im particulary impressed with Frostburn, Shining South and definately Sojourn!

The Monster Manual III isnt so hot and im disappointed in Libris Mortis as im really looking forward to the product and it would have been nice to have had much darker cover art (yes Bookwyrm, I know, im not judging the book by its cover ).

Im surprised at the poor artwork for the Eberron products, but likely theyre temporary images, as WotC have released such before when the final art hasnt been completed.

What does everyone else think?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 29 Apr 2004 10:24:44

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  08:55:03  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and this is what is said of the Special Edition PHB:

quote:

A deluxe, leatherbound version of the essential tool every D&D player needs.

Since 2004 is the 30th anniversary of the Dungeons & Dragons game, Wizards of the Coast, Inc. is commemorating this milestone with a beautiful, special edition of the Player's Handbook. Created with the collector in mind, this special release now sports an embossed, leatherbound cover and premium, gilt-edged paper, along with beautifully designed endpapers.

Shucks! ::puts hang into pocket and removes notes from wallet::

Lord Rad

Edited by - Lord Rad on 29 Apr 2004 08:55:43
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  09:34:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rad. I had been meaning to do that myself .

These covers are nice. They're all pretty special in their own unique way, though I particularly like both Eberron covers, as well as the cover for Frostburn.

Rad, just a small note: your 'Sojourn' link, leads to the same image for the 'D&D Map Folio 3D' .

Here's the correct image, along with some release information - Sojourn.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Apr 2004 09:35:50
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  09:52:20  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage, ive now changed the link

Im surprised you liked the Eberron covers

On the PHB note, does anyone know what the "endpapers" are? Nice that theyve taken the effort to gilt the page edges Hope the design of the cover isnt too over-the-top, just a simple symbol and title - much like the FRCS cover.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  09:55:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
Some nice artwork there. Im particulary impressed with Frostburn, Shining South and definately Sojourn!

The Monster Manual III isnt so hot and im disappointed in Libris Mortis as im really looking forward to the product and it would have been nice to have had much darker cover art (yes Bookwyrm, I know, im not judging the book by its cover ).

Im surprised at the poor artwork for the Eberron products, but likely theyre temporary images, as WotC have released such before when the final art hasnt been completed.

From what I've been reading on the 'D&D Futures' board, the coverart for both Eberron tomes is final. The only cover in the Eberron products to undergo major changes so far has been the actual illustration for the campaign setting.

Like Rad though, I didn't find much to like about the cover for MMIII, but then I really didn't think much of the first two (+ 1 3.5e MM) MM covers either.

I liked the image for Shining South. Can we assume that is some kind of gnomish airship on the cover?.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  10:00:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Sage, ive now changed the link

Im surprised you liked the Eberron covers

Good. Because I was beginning to wonder about you there for a moment, Rad .

As for the Eberron covers, well, I prefer the cover to the Whispers of the Vampire's Blade adventure, but that could be because of the Warforged on the cover. I expected a little more for the City of Towers, since it appears to be the one sourcebook for the setting every "Ebbie" fan is excited about.

Oh well...

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Apr 2004 10:27:55
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  13:45:45  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In regards to the cover of Libris Mortis - Is that an Illithid on the cover illustration?.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  13:59:52  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

From what I've been reading on the 'D&D Futures' board, the coverart for both Eberron tomes is final. The only cover in the Eberron products to undergo major changes so far has been the actual illustration for the campaign setting.

Like Rad though, I didn't find much to like about the cover for MMIII, but then I really didn't think much of the first two (+ 1 3.5e MM) MM covers either.

I liked the image for Shining South. Can we assume that is some kind of gnomish airship on the cover?.

My first reaction was that it was one of those nifty Halruuan flying ships like the one on the cover of the 2nd edition regional supplement for the area.

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  14:10:45  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could be right about that Brother Ezra, afterall the Halruaan skyships are famed throughout the entire Shining South region.

The 2e Shining South tome states that Halruaan airships usually have three masts of flexible wood, as well as two separate steering/guidance panels.

I think I can make out the steering panels -- can anyone see the masts?.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  15:38:45  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

In regards to the cover of Libris Mortis - Is that an Illithid on the cover illustration?.

Hmm, possibly. Or maybe more appropriately - an illithilich.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  17:45:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Im particulary impressed with Frostburn, Shining South and definately Sojourn!

I think you have good taste as those three items do have nice artwork especially Sojurn.

Have you been able to find The Ruby Guardian listed yet? Last I read, the novel was set to come out late this year.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  22:32:21  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Im particulary impressed with Frostburn, Shining South and definately Sojourn!

I think you have good taste as those three items do have nice artwork especially Sojurn.

Have you been able to find The Ruby Guardian listed yet? Last I read, the novel was set to come out late this year.

No thats all that was available unfortunately Im particulary looking forward to seeing the art for The Ruby Guardian as the art for the first book was fantastic

Oh, and welcome back Sirius, where ya been hiding, its normally you thats first here with cover art scoops!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  22:58:33  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hmm, possibly. Or maybe more appropriately - an illithilich.

They've probably decided to bring back the Alhoon...
Go to Top of Page

CurseLord
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  23:31:50  Show Profile  Visit CurseLord's Homepage Send CurseLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The artwork for the Ruby Guardian can be found here http://www.wizards.com/global/images/products_frnovel_177690000_lgpic.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  00:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I perhaps like the MM III's artwork the best out of all three, and also over the cover for the Fiend Folio(3e). Not to say that they were bad, but I'm just liking it more.

The Eberron covers are horrible; I especially don't like that gold tassel or whatever it is.

And the 3D Map Folio looks like a five-minute job in Maya or something. Bleh.

The rest of them are quite good.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  00:32:33  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone knows what that Frostburn book will be?
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  01:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Anyone knows what that Frostburn book will be?

It's the first in a series of books focusing on specific climates. It'll be dealing with arctic climates.
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  03:49:01  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You could be right about that Brother Ezra, afterall the Halruaan skyships are famed throughout the entire Shining South region.

The 2e Shining South tome states that Halruaan airships usually have three masts of flexible wood, as well as two separate steering/guidance panels.

I think I can make out the steering panels -- can anyone see the masts?.

Now that I've saved it and magnified it, the it is indeed an airship, but it resembles a dirigible more than anything else. There's a gondola (is that the right word?) beneath what looks like a large american football. There also appears to be either a lammasu or some kind of sphinx flying nearby.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  04:23:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Oh, and welcome back Sirius, where ya been hiding, its normally you thats first here with cover art scoops!

Never left milord. But, you'll be amazed what you can learn about others simply by watching and remaining quiet for awhile.

Thank you CurseLord for the link to The Ruby Guardian's cover. I think it looks great.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  04:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Ezra
Now that I've saved it and magnified it, the it is indeed an airship, but it resembles a dirigible more than anything else. There's a gondola (is that the right word?) beneath what looks like a large american football. There also appears to be either a lammasu or some kind of sphinx flying nearby.

Gondola is right, yes.

Hmm, this is starting to sound less and less Halruaan-perhaps another change to make it easier on the artist? After all, it's pretty hard to draw a flying ship...[/sarcasm]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  05:34:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The skyship on the cover of the first Shining South didn't match the description, either.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  06:38:38  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia
Hmm, this is starting to sound less and less Halruaan-perhaps another change to make it easier on the artist? After all, it's pretty hard to draw a flying ship...[/sarcasm]

I see the future now and it will include FR Products with a great many stick figures.

WOTC: "Well, the other races were so hard for our artists to draw. Thus, we decided that the stick people were in hiding for centuries and now are returing to rule all of Faerun."

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  08:44:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The skyship on the cover of the first Shining South didn't match the description, either.

It sounds to me like another fine example of artists not taking the time to research the product they'll be illustrating the cover for. Surely one of the production staff could have provided the artist with a brief write-up of what the Halruaan Skyships look like...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  08:54:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

I see the future now and it will include FR Products with a great many stick figures.

WOTC: "Well, the other races were so hard for our artists to draw. Thus, we decided that the stick people were in hiding for centuries and now are returing to rule all of Faerun."

Don't forget the dark stick figures, the arctic stick figures, the jungle stick figures... And, after centuries of exile, the returning-from-somewhere-else stick figures!

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  09:12:37  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CurseLord

The artwork for the Ruby Guardian can be found here http://www.wizards.com/global/images/products_frnovel_177690000_lgpic.jpg

WOW! Simply beautiful, thanks CurseLord. Maybe drop a link to this over over at Thomas Reids thread just incase he hasnt seen it, I know hes anxious to seeing the art.

...and if he was aware of the art being released, then he should have reported back here right away and told us

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  14:29:49  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Missed this one also for Mistress of Night - http://www.wizards.com/global/images/products_frnovel_175620000_lgpic.jpg

Looks good Its set my mind a bit more about the cover of Lady of Poison which is still showing as lop-sided. I was hoping that was just a bad scan or something as I cant think of any valid reason to misalign the covers of the Priests series.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  14:55:07  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It sounds to me like another fine example of artists not taking the time to research the product they'll be illustrating the cover for. Surely one of the production staff could have provided the artist with a brief write-up of what the Halruaan Skyships look like...

I wonder how much the Eberron pseudo-steampunk theme is influencing the artistic outpust at WotC. The whole dirigible thing just reminds me of the railroad thingie from the Eberron setting. Who knows

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  15:41:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "railroad thingie", as you put it, is something that has already been discussed at length on the WotC Boards. The methodology behind those themes in the Eberron setting, is slightly different to what is portrayed in the Realms, regarding airships and the like.

I'd go into more detail, but we all like to keep Alaundo happy, so I'll finish by saying that there is quite a significant difference between these setting themes in both FR and Eberron.

If you want to know more, I suggest visiting the WotC Eberron boards.

Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  16:34:05  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd go into more detail, but we all like to keep Alaundo happy, so I'll finish by saying that there is quite a significant difference between these setting themes in both FR and Eberron.

I realize that, but my point is, do the artists who produce the cover art for FR know the difference in theme, or are they just creating something that looks flashy for the covers.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  16:50:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering WotC's current policy on such matters, my vote would be for the "we-do-this-because-it-looks-way-cool" opinion. There's no real logical behind their approach, it's probably just another method to boost sales. Some players purchase gaming material based partly on the artwork contained within.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  17:11:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Some players purchase gaming material based partly on the artwork contained within.

I am not one of those players... In fact, all of my hardcover gamebooks have plain brown covers on them.

I've been doing that since HS. Originally, it was not as much to protect the covers as it was camouflage. Whenever I took a gamebook to school, I'd inevitably have to deal with other gamers wanting to borrow it: "Oh, I just need to look up something! Can I borrow this until after lunch?"

Also, my dad's wife at the time was death on D&D -- she even tossed my Super Endless Quest books. But the stuff with a book cover on it, she never even looked at. So the hardcovers had the plain brown covers, the softcover stuff was stuck in various folders, and the Monstrous Compendiums were hidden in the pedestal of my waterbed.

Now, out of habit and a desire for consistency, I cover all the hardcovers. All the softcover stuff goes into polybags.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000