Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Demon and Devil plots on Toril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Roewyn
Learned Scribe

114 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  20:51:19  Show Profile  Visit Roewyn's Homepage Send Roewyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
If a greater demon or devil find a way in to Toril, what would be possible plots they would be likely to chase?

Are they simply about ruling Toril or destroying it?
or
Do they focus to destoy an arch enemy because of a reason?

Would they be ok about entering Toril or would they want to return back?

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  21:24:21  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Roewyn, for a demon, it's more likely just about killing and feeding off the souls. They are often under the servitude of a wizard or priest so the demons won't have the freedom to go and do evil everywhere. It's only in a rare case like Errtu where he purposely goes after Drizzt.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  21:30:32  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In general, demons would kill and devils may attempt to expand their empire (lawful nature). However, it really depends on the demon/devil, its boundaries, its powers, its history etc. that will decide what the outcome will be.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Once you eat the poisoned one you die.
Go to Top of Page

Roewyn
Learned Scribe

114 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  23:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Roewyn's Homepage Send Roewyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ohh, I m talking about rare things like army of darkness. Why were those three nycaloths so obsessed about Myth Dranor? They were devils but as far as I know they were amute and noone slew them.

And those old Demons. Were the dudes locked in Hellgate demons? They are imprisoned there, after they were defeated by the folks of silvermarches. If some escapes they might possibly want revenge.I undestand that.

As far as I understand both demons and devils generally have no business on toril thus they only seek revenge of sth besides Ertru. He wanted to build an empire. If any of demons or devils break loose they tend to find a nemesis and destroy it.

However, I wonder if they (especially devils) might have major plans on Toril or they simply don't care about the pathatic life forms that live there.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36791 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  01:37:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's one living in Zhentil Keep... Lord Orgauth, as I recall, is a pit fiend, and his "lady" is an erinyes or succubus (I can't keep my lower plane critters straight).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  02:07:54  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Roewyn, Errtu's main goal wasn't to build an empire. It was to return to kill Drizzt, who had banished him before back to the Abyss.

As for the Army of Darkness, it was because one of those three nycaloths was imprisoned by an elven mage who lived in Myth Drannor. When he died, the magic that held the nycaloth was gone and it allowed the devil to escape and teleport in other devils too.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  07:12:43  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Sage's FR campaign, there's a particular sly Pit Fiend operating a shadow-government in Iriaebor. He's been running the criminal underworld in the City of Spires for over 10 years now, and still very few actually know about it. He has connections to many of the more sinister power-groups across Faerun, from the Shadow-Thieves in Amn, to the Red Wizards of Thay. He operates through a number of thralls, so no mortal ever truly knows that they are dealing with a baatezu. Needless to say, this pit fiend's 'book of contracts' is large and expansive, containing the specifics of every single contract on Faerun that the Pit Fiend has ever been involved in . . . now that's a lot of souls . . .

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Roewyn
Learned Scribe

114 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  09:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Roewyn's Homepage Send Roewyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You' re right DDH_101
I don't remember exactly why he was after the crystalshard
but after his banishment his main goal was killing Drizzt.

Do demons and devils get stronger taking the soul of mortals? Do they take those souls only with an arrangement or is killing the mortals enough?

Where can I learn anything about them, I nearly know nothing of neither demons nor devils. Maybe a source book may answer many of my questions.
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  09:41:32  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, Now that would be a book worth getting one's hands on, no? Imagine the bargains thee could strike with that as collateral!

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown

Edited by - The Cardinal on 27 Apr 2004 09:42:47
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  09:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roewyn

You' re right DDH_101
I don't remember exactly why he was after the crystalshard
but after his banishment his main goal was killing Drizzt.

Do demons and devils get stronger taking the soul of mortals? Do they take those souls only with an arrangement or is killing the mortals enough?

Where can I learn anything about them, I nearly know nothing of neither demons nor devils. Maybe a source book may answer many of my questions.

From the Sage -
quote:
Tanar'ri (Demons) are creatures of the Abyss who use the power and hatred of their plane to evolve. A manes, a primitive spirit who was usually once mortal, manages to become a dretch by earning the respect and fear of its fellows, or by being transformed into a more advanced form by a nalfeshnee.

Non-tanar'ri in the Abyss can usually be identified because their species doesn't naturally evolve into greater forms. Bodaks and other undead, for example, or things with the fiendish or half-fiendish templates. Anything that's just a beast or animal, or a plant, wouldn't be a tanar'ri; tanar'ri are always outsiders.

Baatezu (Devils) are something very different. Baator does have extremely rigid laws, and only those creatures who are first melted down into lemures are permitted into the baatezu hierarchy. The process of becoming a lemure "purifies" it, burning away remnants of chaos and good or unapproved law. Imps, which are also made from larvae, are an impure form of evil, though useful. If they are successful in their missions, they may be melted down into lemures and allowed to join the race.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  10:10:29  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Roewyn, the best tome you can have on demons and devils, is the 2e "Planescape" sourcebook, Faces of Evil: The Fiends. It is considered by most planar fans to be the best resource on fiends.

However, that tome can be very hard to find. As such, GRR have recently released Book of Fiends, which is a 3.5e update for their previously released double sourcebooks Legions of Hell and Armies of the Abyss. Both of these are also good fiend resources, and they are also more readily available.

There are a few other devil/demon books on the market, but most don't approach the level of detail of the tomes I've already mentioned.

Aside from all this, there's the various WotC monster books. Most, like MM, and MMII, the Fiend Folio, and even the Book of Vile Darkness all cover demons and devils to some degree.

Go to Top of Page

Roewyn
Learned Scribe

114 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  19:24:40  Show Profile  Visit Roewyn's Homepage Send Roewyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the info Lady Kazandra
and those tomes certainly will help
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  20:00:00  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone should get the Book of Vile Darkness. If you thought the characters on Faerun were badasses, wait till you read about the ones inside the book. Lol.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31713 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  07:43:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember though DDH_101, the Tanar'ri Lords, and Arch-Devils that are detailed in the BoVD have been significantly "de-powered" since the high-magic days of 2e. They are no longer as 'great' as they once were .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  07:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Remember though DDH_101, the Tanar'ri Lords, and Arch-Devils that are detailed in the BoVD have been significantly "de-powered" since the high-magic days of 2e. They are no longer as 'great' as they once were .

At least in published lore...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31713 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  08:24:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arivia, do you know of some 'unofficial' stats for the various Lords of the fiendish planes?.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  08:32:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, not really, mainly because I haven't had any cause to find or need such.
However, if I do need it, I'm likely to go against the BoVD and make them more than slightly more powerful...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31713 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  08:43:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As would I.

I've always thought that Asmodeus should be more powerful, considering his position.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  08:48:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

As would I.

I've always thought that Asmodeus should be more powerful, considering his position.

And if you're going by 3e, all the hints towards Asmodeus' history forced into the MotP...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31713 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  08:51:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... you know, I may just make a conversion of Asmodeus's 2e stats. It shouldn't be that difficult, just ignore what has been presented about him in BoVD...

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  08:58:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd do it myself, except for a lack of said 2e stats...
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  14:53:56  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They are? Why is that? In fact, I noticed a lot of the characters in FR were "reduced" in power in 3E. For example, Larloch and Shuruppak.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31713 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  15:30:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has more to do with the relative power-scales in the 3e rules. In 2e, such emphasis on power and ability was normally expected.

Go to Top of Page

Narad Bladesinger
Learned Scribe

Finland
170 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  16:18:22  Show Profile  Visit Narad Bladesinger's Homepage Send Narad Bladesinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Roewyn, Errtu's main goal wasn't to build an empire. It was to return to kill Drizzt, who had banished him before back to the Abyss.

As for the Army of Darkness, it was because one of those three nycaloths was imprisoned by an elven mage who lived in Myth Drannor. When he died, the magic that held the nycaloth was gone and it allowed the devil to escape and teleport in other devils too.

Actually, they remained in a unseen 'cage'(a small planar pocket, if I remember correctly) hanging above Myth Drannor after their imprisonment. They were freed, when a red dragon which had never known hate in it's heart flew above their prison.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  18:22:19  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was it like that? Hmm... I must have got my info mixed up. Thanks for the correction.

Go to Top of Page

Narad Bladesinger
Learned Scribe

Finland
170 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  19:06:37  Show Profile  Visit Narad Bladesinger's Homepage Send Narad Bladesinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem
Found a pdf. from web (don't remember where) called 'the Fall of Myth Drannor' and it had it all. You might wanna check that out
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  00:02:11  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually have that. It's just that I don't remember all the information from it.

BTW, are the ruins of Myth Drannor still full of devils? Why don't anyone go and clean them out?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36791 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  01:18:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

BTW, are the ruins of Myth Drannor still full of devils? Why don't anyone go and clean them out?

I'm not certain, but I believe there are still some hanging out in the fallen City of Song.

As to why they've not been cleaned out, it's not exactly the easiest tasking. Not only are you dealing with what can be some formidable foes, but you're doing it in a place that's crawling with all sorts of other baddies and where magic isn't always reliable.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31713 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  05:21:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I actually have that. It's just that I don't remember all the information from it.

DDH_101, your question has been answered already, in the now-famous [i]Questions for Ed Greenwood sroll.

Here's the answer again, in case you've missed it -
quote:
In an epic battle, the Knights closed and destroyed the “Burial Glen” portal in westernmost ruined Myth Drannor. However, that doesn’t mean they got ALL of the devils already infesting the ruins. Many hid in gates and extra-dimensional ‘safeholds’ (many elves of the city before its ruin constructed lone, secret ‘refuge’ chambers reachable only in certain ways, and most of these are still in existence), or just fled into the forest. Adventurer incursions and elven explorations of the ruins since have scoured all, or almost all, of the devils out of the ruins . . . but that still leaves a whole lot of Cormanthor for lesser devils to lurk in. If you do find any, they’ll be lone, lurking individuals, not swaggering bands.

Go to Top of Page

Roewyn
Learned Scribe

114 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  06:28:39  Show Profile  Visit Roewyn's Homepage Send Roewyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Hellgate?
What kind of demons are dwelling there and are there many of them?

I heard that some escaped somehow and attacked silvermarches. But they were deffeated and imprisoned with an artifact.
Can they find a way to escape again?
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  06:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roewyn

What about Hellgate?
What kind of demons are dwelling there and are there many of them?

I heard that some escaped somehow and attacked silvermarches. But they were deffeated and imprisoned with an artifact.
Can they find a way to escape again?

The fiends did march on Sundabar and Silverymoon, yes, burning large portions of Sundabar. Then they went after the Mistmaster, who, with the aid of some Harpers, destroyed the Keep. Any remaining fiends were cleared out, and Turlang marched the High Forest to enclose the keep, to prevent adventurers from getting in...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000