Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shades v. Drow in underdark
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  16:58:22  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was reading the stats of Shades in RoF, and I was wondering, if the city of shade made more shades out of shadowvar, and invaded uderdark, could they take Drow cities like Menzoberranzan?

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  17:05:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the "Shades" are not the only race capable of becoming Shades.

Long before the City of Shade came back to Faerun there were Shades.

To me, this means that Drow could become Shades just as easily...

The problem I have with Shades in the Underdark stems from Shades in 1st Edition AD&D...in total darkness they were not as powerful as they were in areas of Shadow...total light AND total dark made them less powerful than when they were in areas of shadow (light/dark).

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 25 Apr 2008 17:05:56
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  17:10:29  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Well, the "Shades" are not the only race capable of becoming Shades.

Long before the City of Shade came back to Faerun there were Shades.

To me, this means that Drow could become Shades just as easily...

The problem I have with Shades in the Underdark stems from Shades in 1st Edition AD&D...in total darkness they were not as powerful as they were in areas of Shadow...total light AND total dark made them less powerful than when they were in areas of shadow (light/dark).

They don't list that as a weakness in RoF 3E(as far as I know...)

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36792 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  17:28:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aravine

I was reading the stats of Shades in RoF, and I was wondering, if the city of shade made more shades out of shadowvar, and invaded uderdark, could they take Drow cities like Menzoberranzan?

Why would they want to, other than constant darkness?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  17:29:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, "Shade" is a template that can be used on any creature.

As for the question, it's one of those "what ifs" that isn't really answerable. The Shades could possibly conquer a city in the Underdark, but so could any other entity if they had the power. And the Underdark is the home turf of the drow, so it'd be an uphill battle.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  17:39:02  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why conquer cities in the underdark and take on the task of dealing with the deadly monsters down there when they could conquer above ground cities with huge populations of "mostly" (heroes wanted) docile races for slaves to work for them? Just a thought. Plus the Shade has very well defined plans of conquest. They know exactly where their matron's (Shar) enemies are and they want to hurt them badly. Shar leads the way in other words. The Underdark is controlled by no one even with the drow. Waste of time eh? :)

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  20:51:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, the Shades seem to be much more interested in the surface world, anyway.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  18:40:20  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, but we could have shade drow!

Sorry, couldn't resist, even if it's such a dusty scroll...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  20:27:04  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Well, but we could have shade drow!

Sorry, couldn't resist, even if it's such a dusty scroll...

Yes, a very nasty assassin in one of the games I ran was a Drow Shade wizard/thief/assassin.

Drow Shades are nasty...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  23:40:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know, in RotA and TW trilogies, Telamont never hinted that he's interested in ruling or conquering a city of two in the Underdark. He's more preoccupied with surface matters.

To the what-if question, my answer is YES. Shade can conquer Menzo, with considerable casualties of course.

The darkness doesn't impede shades, nor weaken them; only light does.

Shade is not the only nation/city capable of conquering Menzo. Even Thay is, if Tam puts his mind into it. Though I see no reason why he'd do so, save having more corpse to animate.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2011 :  23:58:06  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For that matter, Menzo is a small, relatively unimportant city. The better question would be could they go toe to toe with something more like Erindlyn, or maybe Sshamath. Or Maerimydra on their eastern border. Any one of those would be a far harder nut to crack.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  00:23:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For Telamont to take a huge risk in trying to conquer a large and powerful drow city, he must have an equally huge reason. Say, two fallen enclaves with potentially still working mythallars lie miles below it.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000