Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Aasimar's and Tieflings: A guide book...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  03:05:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
Thanks

I might put off buying it until I see a review for the Planar Handbook, and see if it has any of the stuff I want

I suggest you wait a little longer, and purchse Monte's Beyond Countless Doorways. It's seen as the more superior version of planar tome, and a likely successor to the Planescape setting.

I don't think I'll be bothering with the Planar Handbook since it is said to contain in part, revised material from the MotP as well as some new source material.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  02:02:24  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Thanks

I might put off buying it until I see a review for the Planar Handbook, and see if it has any of the stuff I want

I suggest you wait a little longer, and purchse Monte's Beyond Countless Doorways. It's seen as the more superior version of planar tome, and a likely successor to the Planescape setting.

I don't think I'll be bothering with the Planar Handbook since it is said to contain in part, revised material from the MotP as well as some new source material.

Well where getting Races of he Wild, Races of Stone and Now Races of Destiny, I imagine there will be a Races of the Planes at some point maybe that will have planetouched for Demihumans

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  06:40:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rather doubt we'll see a tome such as that. Most of the planar races have already been covered many times, in many different sourcebooks. Unlike the D&D standard races - which up until Races of Stone did not have a specific racial book - planar races are still considered a optional choice in many campaign settings and not part of the regular cast of races to choose from.

Also, it appears that the 3e 'Race' books are a throwback to the 2e days of 'Race Handbooks', much like the 'Complete' books being published now...very reminiscent of the older 2e 'Class Handbooks'.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  07:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Also, it appears that the 3e 'Race' books are a throwback to the 2e days of 'Race Handbooks', much like the 'Complete' books being published now...very reminiscent of the older 2e 'Class Handbooks'.

Minus every single piece of fluff they could extract, of course...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  07:36:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. I was merely remarking how WotC seems to be following the same earlier trends of TSR.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  07:46:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I rather doubt we'll see a tome such as that. Most of the planar races have already been covered many times, in many different sourcebooks. Unlike the D&D standard races - which up until Races of Stone did not have a specific racial book - planar races are still considered a optional choice in many campaign settings and not part of the regular cast of races to choose from.

well thats a pity its one of the few areas where they havent ventured into Overkill. Needless to say I will no be buying any of the Races of X books

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  07:58:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
well thats a pity its one of the few areas where they havent ventured into Overkill. Needless to say I will no be buying any of the Races of X books

I actually prefer the non-overkill aspect. In my eyes, the planar races are more unique than the standard races, and should remain so. They are not an everyday occurence (depending upon the amount of planar contact your particular campaign world has), and so their racial traits should also be something not encountered at regular intervals.

That was another good facet of the PS setting. Once racial traits were detailed, that was the end of it. It really made the outsider races we encountered, kind of special.

Edited by - The Sage on 09 May 2004 07:59:40
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  08:18:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I meant doing a Races of the Planes WOnt be overkill as WOTC havent really done a 3ed Races book. Overkill is what there doing with Races of Stone,Destiny and wild

Theres already alot of material on those races

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2004 :  23:12:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Psion from ENWorld has a new review up for this book:

http://www.enworld.org/reviews/index.php?sub=yes&where=active&reviewer=Psion&product=ATAGtoP
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2004 :  17:20:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks

"In the Works" for May features the following brief information about the handbook:

quote:

I don't have a lot to offer up about the Planar Handbook just yet. Essentially, this is a player-focused companion to the DM-centric Manual of the Planes, which offers a pile of new material designed to help your characters improve their survival rate when on planar adventures. There's a lot more to it than that, but I'll wait until next month to go into details. To help ease or pique your curiosity, I offer up to you the back cover copy:

Explore Never-Ending Realms of Adventure

Only the most exceptional characters dare tread the infinite paths of the planes. From Sigil, the City of Doors, to the Blinding Tower at the heart of the Plane of Shadow, to the Elemental Plane of Fire's storied City of Brass, countless perilous locations in the multiverse await bold heroes armed with remarkable talents and abilities, more than a little courage, and above all, knowledge.

This supplement for the D&D game provides everything you need to create and play characters prepared for the odyssey of planar travel, including new planar races, feats, equipment, spells, and magic items. The Planar Handbook also introduces the power of planar touchstones, along with details and advice for visiting dozens of planar sites.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040516a
Go to Top of Page

Keravin
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  13:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Keravin's Homepage Send Keravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta

I may check this book out. Are there any reviews floating around at all?

So far, I've absolutely loved Green Ronin's Freeport stuff and I strongly recommend it to anyone looking to run a fun swashbuckling site-based campaign. I worked it into my FR campaign by plopping it down where Immurk's hold is in the Sea of Fallen Stars and blending in FR canon with the Freeport stuff.

However, I know that several of the other source books by Green Ronin have been panned. Seems like they are a bit more hit and miss with some of their other stuff.

Sarta

Any chance of starting a discussion on this as I'd be very interested to hear how other people did it?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  15:11:57  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Keravin
Any chance of starting a discussion on this as I'd be very interested to hear how other people did it?

On what? Placing Freeport into the Realms? If so, just create a thread and I'm sure you'll get replies.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000