Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 A Leather bound FRC for the FRs 20th Birthday?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  03:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As some of you know WOTC will be selling a Leather Bound players hand book later this year (I probably wont buy that) however someone on the Candlekeep board suggested something that got me interested (Thanks Rad)

In 2006 the FR will turn 20 (Im pretty sure that dates right) so I was thinking.. how about doing a a Leather bound revised and updated FRC?

How many of you would buy a such a book?

By Revised and updated Id suggest the following

1) Remove Chapter 1 from the book most of that material has been superceded by Races of Faerun and the PGTF (that creates 52 blank pages for us to insert new stuff)

2) cut out the deitys section which is pretty much superceded by Faithes and Pantheons (this gives us another 27 pages)

3) the monster section perhaps remove or maybe enhance see below

4) Go through the Geography section and update it for example by 2006 when this Revised FRC would come out the WOSQ series will have been completed so in the Underdark section there would be revised write ups for the Drow cites ie Ched Nesad being destroyed other areas will also need updating ie Evereska the Silver Marches as RAS latest Drizzt trilogy will have come to an end in short this is another opertunity in 2 years time to advance the timeline.

5) the NPCs stats could be revised to 3.5 and updated to the epic rules if applicable

6) We have 79 blank pages 85 if we remove the Monster chapter to.

Here are my suggestions for that space

a) Drop an updated Monsters of Faerun into those 79 pages so all the FRC specfic monsters are all in one place if the Monster of Faerun has already appeared in another another product do more FR monster in this space

b) Use the 79-85 pages to do a heap of mini adventures if use the Silver Marches format you could get 21 mini adventures in those 75 pages which could be spread out all over Faerun.

c) Grab all the magic items sections from all the prvious books and reprint them in one chapter in the FRC

d) Perhaps use the 85 pages do a mixture of a and b

I like the idea and would buy it, my FRCs starting to look a little worn now and would probably be in pretty bad shap in 2 years time

Coments? Suggestions?

By the way I created a thread about this on the WOTC website

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=3088574#post3088574

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  04:01:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
Coments? Suggestions?

I like the idea of doing something special for the anniversary. However, I don't trust WOTC. I firmly believe they will come up with something totally outlandish or ill-suited. Your idea has many good elements and shows you put thought into it. Therefore, you have cursed it to never happen. However, thank you for the notice about the 2006 date.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36794 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  05:40:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd buy that book, Dargoth... But, sadly, SiriusBlack makes a good point, too: WotC will prolly do something that no one really wants...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Elmonster
Acolyte

Russia
49 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  07:34:34  Show Profile  Visit Elmonster's Homepage Send Elmonster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to see a special (limited) edition of FRCS. I think that it shouldn't be just revised edition, but a new book with a lot of new information.

- A big chapter on History of the Realms. Like it is in FRCS 3.0 but more detailed

- A very detailed section on geography with lots of illustrations.

- Information on magical items, gods e.t.c.

A leather bound is a good idea, but i would prefer a simple hardcover with more pages, than just FRCS 3.0 in leather bound.

I wished on the seven sisters
Bring me the wisdom of the age
All that's locked within the book of secrets
I longed for the knowledge of the sage...

Fires at Midnight, Blackmore's Night
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  09:39:13  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ill take half a dozen copies!

It would be a shame for WotC to bypass a milestone for the Realms. Sadly, I dont think the 20th anniversary will cut it. 25th Maybe.

For D&D they celebrated 25th and now also the upcoming 30th anniversaries.

However, a special quality bound version of the FRCS would certainly go down well with me. Or maybe just a tome on the complete detailed history and geography of the Realms would suit fine. Pure fluff

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  15:57:29  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Ill take half a dozen copies!

It would be a shame for WotC to bypass a milestone for the Realms. Sadly, I dont think the 20th anniversary will cut it. 25th Maybe.

For D&D they celebrated 25th and now also the upcoming 30th anniversaries.

However, a special quality bound version of the FRCS would certainly go down well with me. Or maybe just a tome on the complete detailed history and geography of the Realms would suit fine. Pure fluff

Unfortuantely, WotC doesn't seem to think that fluff sells, and it would probably be chock full of new skills, spells, and prestige classes that none of us would really be interested in, and perhaps 5-10 pages would be a "regional update" that would barely touch on developments in each geographic region. I hate to be so cynical about this, but the Players Guide to Faerun is a perfect example of this.

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  08:40:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Leather-bound x WotC publication) + (dragon hoard) = (big cost) + (little funds) = negative chance of purchase.

Sorry.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  16:54:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Ezra
Unfortuantely, WotC doesn't seem to think that fluff sells

Unfortunately, as Richard Baker stated on the WOTC board some time ago, a good portion of purchasers for FR products merely loot the crunch to use in their own generic campaign. Thus, they are not interested in any FR fluff, because they are not running FR campaigns.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  18:46:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
Unfortunately, as Richard Baker stated on the WOTC board some time ago, a good portion of purchasers for FR products merely loot the crunch to use in their own generic campaign. Thus, they are not interested in any FR fluff, because they are not running FR campaigns.

Which does a disservice to us long time realms fans, dm's, and players.... I've said it before fluff made FR what it is, which is a living campaign world.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  18:57:03  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second those thoughts kuje31
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  19:24:07  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Brother Ezra
Unfortuantely, WotC doesn't seem to think that fluff sells

What is the world coming to?!

As far as im concerned, you can keep the crunch, its all about fluff for me!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2004 :  19:29:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
What is the world coming to?!

As far as im concerned, you can keep the crunch, its all about fluff for me!

I call it the ADHD player syndrome.
Go to Top of Page

Alrunes Sinethal
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  01:14:22  Show Profile  Visit Alrunes Sinethal's Homepage Send Alrunes Sinethal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a sucker for special editions :) I probably will buy it just so it can sit dusty on my enormous bookshelf :P

I think history and people is what makes a place comes alive.
1. The history section in the FRC is ridiculously short. I have seen longer history sections in some of the accessories (for cities or regions). Like come on, we have more than 26,000 years of history! Surely WotC can do better than those puny pages.
2. A lot of areas in FR is still un-expanded. Perhaps a commentary from Ed Greenwood on what inspired him for that region. Things like maybe a certain culture, or time period in our own time that he based/wanna based that region on. I hate it when I created something for a region and have it culturally clash with latter FR products.
3. People. I love people and their stories. What makes them tick, what pisses them off. Not so much the realms-shaking characters that I hesitate to modify, but the common-day heroes.
4. All the gods in FR are "legitimate". We need some quasi-deities that are trying to make it into real deities, and hence have religious cults that I can point and name "HERETICS!". Unlike Greyhawk, FR is really quite weak with demon/devil relations. We have almost no nether-cults (besides Orcus). Am I the only person that misses Graz'zt, Anthraxus etc. ? What are the roles of demon lords in FR? (I was recently trying to create an evil cleric, and I was frankly quite bored with the evil gods. Did you know we have more good gods than evil gods. When does that ever happen in a real world? )

.........reborned from the ashes
belovéd of the dead.............
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  01:28:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...this is certainly an interesting shared-dream...

I'd most definitely purchase a copy, however I would expect that this leather-bound version of the original 3e FRCS (on top of what has already been suggested) have the revised cosmology included.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Canyia
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  06:56:18  Show Profile  Visit Canyia's Homepage Send Canyia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leather-bound? Isn't that a bit odd?

Some people say that I'm heartless. They are wrong though,I have the heart of a little girl . . .in a jar on my desk.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  10:41:21  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why do you say that Canyia?.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Canyia
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  15:26:26  Show Profile  Visit Canyia's Homepage Send Canyia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh well, I'm a vegetarian and an aminal rights activist to boot when I'm not slaying evil beings I won't kill anything that doesn't piss me off first, basically The thought of a book covered in the skin of the dead is, well, creepy to me actually. Unless it's synthetic

I'm a bit peeved at the thought too because it means that it's something I and many others cannot buy it even if we could afford it.

Some people say that I'm heartless. They are wrong though,I have the heart of a little girl . . .in a jar on my desk.

Edited by - Canyia on 16 Apr 2004 15:29:31
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  19:10:41  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, remember, some of us like leather. Personally, though, I don't think it goes well with books. I did see one that actually loooked good, but it was a really expensive one.

Usually, though, I prefer simple cloth. Like my nice Hobbit edition.

Er, I mean Halfling, Alaundo! Halfling!

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  23:23:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Well, remember, some of us like leather.

*chuckle*

Thats more infomation than we needed to know Bookwyrm

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  03:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've a leather jacket, which Canyia and I just discussed over private messages.

You've a dirty mind, you know.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2004 :  10:33:47  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canyia

Oh well, I'm a vegetarian and an aminal rights activist to boot when I'm not slaying evil beings I won't kill anything that doesn't piss me off first, basically The thought of a book covered in the skin of the dead is, well, creepy to me actually. Unless it's synthetic

You probably wouldn't enjoy visiting a Githyanki library then. It is said that the entire inside walls of the chambers in the library are covered with dead skin, a patchwork collection of human, elven, and dwarven hides (they are not the only races though ). The collected knowledge and wisdom of the whole githyanki race is then written upon this specially treated skin, and left hanging in the halls of the library, where anyone can read from them.

The most well known skin-library is located in Gehenna, on Mungoth I believe. The halls of the library stretch for many miles in every direction (except away from the mount, obviously), and both up and down the volcanic mount. It is rumored that the skins of many thousands of dead from nearly every race across the multiverse adorn the walls here. The githyanki though, will not take the skin of illithids, or githzerai, their most hated foes.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000