Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Forgotten Realms Designers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  17:25:44  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Why did I stop? One, I got busy with other things, as happens. Secondly, Wizards kept after me to write everything up with stat blocks so people could go fight the ghosts. Since that run completely counter to my intent for the series--give people a bunch of ghost stories purely for creep-out story potential and add another layer of lore to places--I decided to end the series rather than write it in a way that I didn't want to go. <shrug>

Well, I know I'm only one person, but believe it or not, I enjoyed, and can enjoy, Realms articles without stats to fight whatever is being written about. But, I'm a vanishing breed, like people that use their directionals when driving.

Well, I want to be clear (and not turn this into a WotC-complaint thread) here. The people with whom I worked out those articles no longer work on the website (or at WotC for that matter). It was a mutually agreed-upon decision to halt the series, not something I abandoned out of designer hubris or artistic arrogance. Rereading my last post, it came out a little clumsy and harder than intended.

While it was fun while it lasted, I don't know how long I'd have been able to maintain it. After all, I'm not an endless fountain of good ideas like Ed.

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. They're appreciated.

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  17:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ain't I a stinker?

Halaster's Harvestide already let us know this fact. But, thank you for the confirmation.

No problem.

Funny when you mention Halaster's Harvestide.... I got a flashback of the brainstorm session when David Wise, Dale Donovan, Julia Martin, Bill Ohmesdahl, and a visiting Bryon Wishstadt were tossing ideas around for the final UNDERMOUNTAIN: DUNGEON CRAWL module. The concept on the table was "What the last thing in the world they'd expect us to do with Undermountain?"

When I blurted out, "Let's force the heroes to save Halaster's life," David Wise's face split into the most deliciously evil smile and he said, "That's SO wrong. Go with that."

The rest, as they say, is history.

All I had to do was figure out what it had to do with a title called STARDOCK, which was already set by the catalog. I think it worked out okay, and it was nice to tie up my work on Undermountain with a touch of where I started; after all, my first work for TSR was in the Spelljammer line.

Okay, enough reminiscing. I've got a deadline to get back to....

SES

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  20:51:28  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

SES

Thank you for putting the deadline off just a little bit to share with us how designers come up with their evil ideas. That was a great story.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  22:40:59  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
SES
What deadline??? Please tell us!! Please, please, please, please, please, [...], etc. (using child tactics sometimes work! )
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  22:45:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight
What deadline??? Please tell us!! Please, please, please, please, please, [...], etc. (using child tactics sometimes work! )

And here I was wondering if I was the only one interested in what the deadline was for.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  02:36:22  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

And here I was wondering if I was the only one interested in what the deadline was for.

What's a deadline for, you ask?

To quote Jeff Grubb from my first week at TSR, "The deadline is the date by which either a project or the designer will be dead."

Steven
Who can neither discuss nor confirm any project as yet

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  03:12:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Steven
Who can neither discuss nor confirm any project as yet

Can you play 20 questions regarding it?

If so, I have the first question:

1: Is it for a D20 publisher?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  06:16:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite line about deadlines:

"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go by."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Moonharp
Acolyte

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  02:30:33  Show Profile  Visit Moonharp's Homepage Send Moonharp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here I have an icidental question that popped into my head as I read this thread... I had not been able to find the answer anywhere in my tomes of lore.
Was Abeir-Toril ever the victim of a large natural cataclysmic event? I mean things such as a meteorites, volcanic overheating, toxicity in the atmosphere... And if there was, what effects did it have?
Dinosaurs are still alive, so I guess there really wasn't any such event (ok, sorry for that, I know, it was sad...)

Moonharp the Marvelous
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  03:56:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Moonharp

Was Abeir-Toril ever the victim of a large natural cataclysmic event? I mean things such as a meteorites, volcanic overheating, toxicity in the atmosphere... And if there was, what effects did it have?

*blinks* With everything that's happened, you want natural disasters, as well? Are you daft?!?

Go to Top of Page

Moonharp
Acolyte

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  04:06:02  Show Profile  Visit Moonharp's Homepage Send Moonharp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HAHAHA!

I guess you are right... Fearun has suffered enough already. Though that is a paradox in the Realms (as well as Earth) - intelligent beings do so much more damage than nature - and it should be otherwise, considering the physical power of humans and the physical power of nature... ok, flew off my philosophical hook a bit too much - apologies.

Moonharp the Marvelous
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  04:06:55  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think even natural disasters would be attributed to one of the gods. Earthquakes would be Moradin's wrath, floods Umberlee being her usual b*@#$ self, etc.
Would there be such a thing as a natural disaster with some god having the portfolio for whatever the disaster may be?

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Moonharp
Acolyte

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  04:15:14  Show Profile  Visit Moonharp's Homepage Send Moonharp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

I think even natural disasters would be attributed to one of the gods. Earthquakes would be Moradin's wrath, floods Umberlee being her usual b*@#$ self, etc.
Would there be such a thing as a natural disaster with some god having the portfolio for whatever the disaster may be?

Good point... I guess everything is controlled by deities. I was thinking that deities controlled the common-place things... like storms, etc... but now I see that they might have power and control even over things such as meteorites. But then, which god in particular would control a meteorite ? Perhaps Ao himselft might, if he got angry at the gods and wanted to destroy one of their toy worlds...

Moonharp the Marvelous

Edited by - Moonharp on 30 Aug 2004 04:16:37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  05:18:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Moonharp

quote:

Good point... I guess everything is controlled by deities. I was thinking that deities controlled the common-place things... like storms, etc... but now I see that they might have power and control even over things such as meteorites. But then, which god in particular would control a meteorite ? Perhaps Ao himselft might, if he got angry at the gods and wanted to destroy one of their toy worlds...

Well, I seem to recall hearing about this other world where the gods got tweaked at the people and chucked an entire "fiery mountain" down on them, seriously reshaping an entire continent. But maybe that was just a rumor.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Aug 2004 05:21:03
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  05:35:58  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Well, I seem to recall hearing about this other world where the gods got tweaked at the people and chucked an entire "fiery mountain" down on them, seriously reshaping an entire continent. But maybe that was just a rumor.

Doesn't that world start with a K and end or with N... Or start's with a D and ends with a E. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  13:24:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It wasn't "the gods", but rather "a god's" decision to punish the hubris of the inhabitants of Krynn.

And the gods weren't "tweaked"... they simply sought to teach the people of Krynn a very important lesson... Which, taken in retrospect to the difficulties that were to come, was actually a good thing. But, this is a discussion for another forum...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  17:41:42  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As has been said, there's enough awful stuff going on that the natural disasters don't always get their mention on timelines and the like. I know I put a bunch of them in timelines for LOI and EoSS but also linked them (or blamed them) on godly actions (i.e. Umberlee's wrath instead of just tidal waves, though I don't recall if I blamed a god for wiping out Velen back in the day.....).

Even so, yes, there ought to be more mention of droughts and floods and earthquakes and the like. There might even be more peasants and lords alike that'll just take them in stride as nature's way. HOwever, there will always be a lot of proselytizers trying to convince them that the disaster was God X's wrath unless they become faithful and donate to the church, etc. Also, looking at human nature, people want someone/something to blame for their ills, and if the church of Bane (either overtly or covertly) tells them that Cyric or Tempus is to blame, guess how many people will do so?

One of the things I miss was how important weather could be to game campaigns. My gamers and I absorbed the 1st edition Wilderness Guide by Kim Mohan and forever after, guarding caravans wasn't as easy as it once was (and goblins learned that attacking during a blizzard vastly improved their chances of both surviving and getting away with loot). I know that weather (at least in supplements like Silver Marches) is a factor again, but it's not always remembered as often as it could be. (And yes, I'm just as guilty an author for not always remembering it--so add +15 to the DC of climbing down inside the ruins of Hellgate Keep if it's raining, okay kids? )

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  17:44:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
It wasn't "the gods", but rather "a god's" decision to punish the hubris of the inhabitants of Krynn.

And the gods weren't "tweaked"... they simply sought to teach the people of Krynn a very important lesson... Which, taken in retrospect to the difficulties that were to come, was actually a good thing. But, this is a discussion for another forum...

This series says otherwise. It has a lot of scenes about the commands and talks ALL of the gods had when they all held council about the King Priest.

Chosen of the Gods by Chris Pierson
Divine Hammer by Chris Pierson
Sacred Fire by Chris Pierson

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 31 Aug 2004 03:56:43
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  18:51:27  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

This series says otherwise. It has a lot of scenes about the commands and talk ALL of the gods had when they all held council about the King Priest.

Well met

AHEM kuje31, Sage, ye should know better Off to Worlds with ye! I won't hear of this....this..Krynn place anymore herein!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 30 Aug 2004 18:53:00
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2004 :  02:52:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

This series says otherwise. It has a lot of scenes about the commands and talk ALL of the gods had when they all held council about the King Priest.

Ah...

Thank you for the clarification friend Kuje . I have yet to read the Kingpriest trilogy myself, so I'm glad to see that the events leading up to the decision regarding the Cataclysm appears to have now been properly explored in story.

quote:
Off to Worlds with ye! I won't hear of this....this..Krynn place anymore herein!
I apologise O Master Sage...

Think nothing more of it...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2004 :  05:25:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one's for Steven:

Having recently returned to the LOI boxed set for a few mini-projects I'm working on, I was wondering whether you ever fleshed out the monarchs of Amn?

We have the first, Esmel and four or so Imnels of the Torlath Dynasty. Then we have Dhanar of the Parhek Dynasty, last of the real Amnian kings. Got anymore tucked away in those copious notes of yours?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2004 :  16:13:02  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

This one's for Steven:

Having recently returned to the LOI boxed set for a few mini-projects I'm working on, I was wondering whether you ever fleshed out the monarchs of Amn?

We have the first, Esmel and four or so Imnels of the Torlath Dynasty. Then we have Dhanar of the Parhek Dynasty, last of the real Amnian kings. Got anymore tucked away in those copious notes of yours?

-- George Krashos

No time right now (as I've got to dash to the chiropractor to fix my back), but let's talk this out in emails and then we can return with a complete work later, eh?

Off the top of my head, I may not have many notes on the monarchs of Amn, but I've simply got to get my head back into the material to blow out the cobwebs and restitch half-thoughts into full ones.

Steven
Who thinks George has his email addresses still....

Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  03:38:11  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that there is book for Forgotten Realms called Lords of Darkness which details evil organizations in the Realms. I was wondering, will there be book that details good organizations, like Harpers and Knights of Myth Drannor?

James
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  06:19:39  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
No time right now (as I've got to dash to the chiropractor to fix my back),

Take care of yourself. No FR designer past or present is allowed to have bad health. It might interfere with them writing or sharing future Realms lore.

Be safe.

SB
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  04:11:33  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope all is well with your back, Mr Schend. I myself suffer from back issues, and know what a disruption it can be. OUCH!

Anyways, my question, and it is a small one, is: What is the current status of Gemidan, that rascally young prodigy who was under the tutelidge of Khelban?

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  05:02:14  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

I hope all is well with your back, Mr Schend. I myself suffer from back issues, and know what a disruption it can be. OUCH!

Anyways, my question, and it is a small one, is: What is the current status of Gemidan, that rascally young prodigy who was under the tutelidge of Khelban?

Gemidan is, to be sure, a few years older and quite possibly a little wiser and more experienced. Can't recall the time frames of COS, but we can probably guess that he's hitting puberty with all its attendant growth spurts, voice changes, acne problems, and social difficulties with whatever gender he deems attractive.

Beyond that, I've no idea. In my current mood, I'd say the Arcane Brotherhood sent back his bracers (with hands still in them) back to Blackstaff Tower with a note saying "Send larger apprentices next time."

Honestly, Gemidan's not one of my better ideas and thus he'll remain on the pile of concepts left open to GMs everywhere to do what they will with him. Have fun, and apologies for not having more direction than this.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  05:42:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Honestly, Gemidan's not one of my better ideas and thus he'll remain on the pile of concepts left open to GMs everywhere to do what they will with him. Have fun, and apologies for not having more direction than this.

Steven

I'll spare friend Steven some typing... He'd expressed his sentiments about Gemidan in the past, and I one day asked him about it. His response:

quote:
My only real answer as to why I'm not as enamored with Gemidan as I once was is simply age. I'm 12 years older than when I wrote City of Splendors, and the idea just doesn't appeal to me as much. He's far too many exceptions to the norm (prodigy at young age, apprentice to Khelben, adventurer without supervision, etc.) and the idea becomes too "twee" for me now. <shrug> He's still an interesting character, but I'd have to find a lot of things to do to/with him before he'd interest me greatly again.

The initial concept was to surprise Khelben and challenge him, as he barely has the patience to deal with young adults, let alone children; this is true at least publicly and in the context of his teaching students; some nobles have learned that one of the few ways to pry even the smallest of secrets out of the Lord Mage of Waterdeep is to send their smallest child toddling over to ask innocent questions of him while he smolders in the corner at a nobles' revel he could not avoid. Granted, Khelben is aware of this, and rarely tips his hand truly, but while every adult is rightfully afraid of his presence, he takes care not to terrify the young (or at least not until they are old enough to understand their own actions and queries).

For the character himself, I envisioned him as a prodigy and a huge pain in the ass for everyone--Dennis the Menace with magic, for all intents and purposes. He'd be the classic look-before-you-leap hero and those with whom he adventures spend more time getting him out of scrapes than actually planning things. In short, he was a goofy little idea that could be fun in short spurts within a game, but over time, the idea just comes off as "game bits of humor" rather than solid world-building and real character creation. If he works within the scope of your campaign, by all means use him. I'm just not attached to him any longer.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2004 :  06:15:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We'll no doubt get to see a more grown up Gemidan in Eric's upcoming Waterdeep product.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2004 :  16:36:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

We'll no doubt get to see a more grown up Gemidan in Eric's upcoming Waterdeep product.

-- George Krashos

That would be cool... Steven may have lost his interest in Gemidan, but I liked the character concept. It'd be nice to see if the kid is still around, and what he's doing now.

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2004 :  02:05:10  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here, Wooly. For all we know, he could be one of the new CHosen Ed has been hinting around about these past few years.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages

Edited by - Melfius on 19 Dec 2004 02:06:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000