Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lossarwyn and Auril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2016 :  20:37:16  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do we know that Lossarwyn took Auril as a patron? It seems likely considering that she was revealed to be the Queen of Air and Darkness and the elves connection to the fey.

"...His mission to eradicate humanity continued, despite all the human lives he had saved. Lossarwyn was searching for a plague that had no cure. Whenever he came across a disease that seemed especially virulent, he would whisk away its victim for a detailed study, research that often ended the life of the one he had ostensibly come to heal. Many diseases seemed promising, but most had the drawback of difficulty of transmission. It seemed that magical assistance was needed, which led Lossarwyn to study necromancy, thus renouncing the deepest strictures of his faith.

After many years, just when he seemed on the verge of discovery, his goal of loosing a plague upon mankind was finally uncovered by a jealous rival, and he was revealed to his fellow druids. They declared his crimes unforgivable, and they prescribed a secret death by assassination for Lossarwyn rather than allow the general public to learn of his plots. But Lossarwyn fled rather than face punishment and was pursued by three of the most powerful druids of that time. They chased him north into the frozen lands and at last cornered him in glacial cavern. A magical battle ensued, and Lossarwyn died and was frozen into the heart of the glacier, lost forever (or so it seemed). But as he breathed his last, Lossarwyn made a pact with darker forces that resulted in his being cursed with undeath. In their malice, those dark powers did nothing to free him, and so Lossarwyn remained frozen in the ice for many centuries..."
- Champions of Ruin

If he "renounced the tenets of his faith", how did he retain his power? Is it likely the "darker power" mentioned was Auril or some other necromantic power? It is said that he draws his power directly from Nature and no deity is involved, however, I find this unlikely as it has no precedent that I am aware of.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6359 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2016 :  20:49:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im pretty sure 3e had a late concept of druids worshipping nature as a whole.

4e had nature as its own power source.

I have a vague feeling that 1e and 2e required no deity to worship in order to receive druidic spells and abilities.

Low level clerics in 2e could receive spells without a patron deity as well.

It was only really 3e that introduced the concept that all druids, clerics, rangers, etc had to have a patron deity. A bad idea in my opinion.

As for Lossarwyn i cant really answer your question because my way of how faith, religion, and divine magic is at odds with most others. There is however plenty of examples of divine casters receiving spells despite being at odds with their professed faith.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6654 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2016 :  02:00:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simple. Another deity is granting him spells. I'd say Moander, Shar or Talona fit the bill.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11746 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2016 :  21:11:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Auril could work. So would Shar, Moander and Talona as mentioned by GK. However, it could be that he made a pact with some primordialarchfeyFar Realms entity that even he doesn't understand and calls it "nature".

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000