Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Ed Greenwood Group (TEGG) should licence FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  02:40:50  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The The Ed Greenwood Group (TEGG) should licence for FR

As said in the title the TEGG should get a licence for FR novels from WotC.

This isn't without presidence, White Wolf used to have a licence to do Ravenloft novels and I believe another company had the licence for Dragon Lance for a time as well.

If WotC does want to assume the expenses/costs/risks for the novels line, then WotC should do a licencing deal with TEGG like it once did for Ravenloft with White Wolf. WotC gets profits, little to no expenses to draw resources from their budgets, its a win...win...win deal.

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  10:28:42  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's an excellent idea

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  10:56:13  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the powers that be here at Candlekeep while suggest this to Ed Greenwood.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6359 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  12:00:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be thrilled for WoTC to let someone else, especially TEGG, develop FR.

However, TEGG have a whopping 12 settings that they are trying to get off the ground. Taking on anothee setting that is owned by another company is probably not in their best interests.

Maybe in 5 years. Give WoTC a chance to release 4 more editions of DnD, complete with world changing apocalypses and century long time jumps.

Plus if i were licencing FR, im not sure i couls trust WoTC not to revoke the whole deal at a moments notice. They have done it with dragon, with several digital tools, with the first lot of pdfs they released, with DDO. They just arent dependable bedfellows.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  12:45:04  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This might be Ed's intention from the Beginning of TEGG...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6653 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  12:53:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great idea. Not going to happen until the FR film gets off the ground. If it is a success, then zero chance of that happening. If it bombs badly, maybe. I'm hoping that it bombs bigtime.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  14:09:20  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen people saying that Ed has said that he'd be really happy if this happened. However, I haven't read anything from Ed himself about that.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  14:41:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I wonder if the powers that be here at Candlekeep while suggest this to Ed Greenwood.

Unlikely.

As Krash noted above, and as Ed has said in the past, legal wrangling and issues of content and ownership are extraordinarily fickle these days - to the point where it becomes very difficult to determine where and when a license for the Realms content should end.

And after 20+ years of shared-world workings and multitudes of authors, game designers, and artists all playing in the Realms sandbox, this would hardly be an issue that could be resolved without some kind of legal merry-go-round... which, frankly, would likely last years.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  15:12:21  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I know is I hope Ed tries.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  15:16:42  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Help us Ed Greenwood, you are our only hope...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7981 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  18:19:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This isn't without presidence, White Wolf used to have a licence to do Ravenloft novels and I believe another company had the licence for Dragon Lance for a time as well.

True, WotC has licensed segments of their D&D franchise. Circa 2001-2005 they were experimenting with OGL and D20, they were attempting to recover from TSR's mismanagement and were being (forcibly?) restructured by their new Hasbro overlords, they weren't quite as paranoid about digital piracy, and they weren't yet wary of mighty startups like Paizo. Times have changed, Wizbro clutches desperately on keeping (and monetizing) what they have left, they are obsessively paranoid about piracy and aggressively territorial about brand infringement.

D&D novels have already been culled to a meager minimum. I can't speak for D&D authors but it's obvious that there were once many and there are now few, it seems to me that WotC is just not interested in keeping their novels on the shelves. If they're not interested in or able to publish for themselves then they're probably very reluctant to publish through outsourcing.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6359 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  18:28:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i dont think there is any danger of the movie doing well. Rpgs are by no means a mainstream hobby. Even i find it embarrassing to admit my hobby to non players.

The first film was bad, the others worse. People remember things like that. And when you go to watch a film you want a good story with consistency and depth of character, these things are not the hallmark of 5e.

So onwards fail train and hopefully TEGG will pick up the pieces.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  18:44:41  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The movie will be based on the Forgotten Realms, it may or may have 5e mechanical influences, we don't know.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  18:46:18  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The movie will be based on the Forgotten Realms, it may or may have 5e mechanical influences, we don't know.

My dream team for the movie would be written by Josh Wheldon and directed by Michael Bay. Yes I'm that crazy.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7981 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  19:25:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Gyor ... so you want a Realms movie which is written like a Buffy episode with the look of a Transformers movie? Yes, you are crazy. :p

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2016 :  21:52:42  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I figure that one will cancel out the faults of the other, leaving only their combined strengths. Or they'll kill each other. Either way entertainment ensured.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2016 :  14:18:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd rather the film try not to adhere specifically to any rules-set.

For me, it's enough for any FR film to involve the lore, more than the rules.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000