Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Elven extinction?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  10:15:18  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:
Originally posted by Narad Bladesinger

I'm seriously worried about elven population on Faerun.
Long time ago they freed Faerun from the tyranny of dragons and giants and now they are getting chased out from everywhere.
There have been attacks to Evereska and Evermeet, and many elven forests are cut down by humans.
Is there a safe place for elves?
And I heard that on the attack on Evermeet the High Magic of elves was lost.
Is this true?

Considering the attitude of the elder (über-powerful!) elves towards humans, and the number of humans they've killed for such heinous offences as ... hmmm ... taking a walk in a forest, I'd say that the elves are getting what they've had coming to them for two thousand years. And given the long lifespans of elves, humans aren't just responding to something that was done thousands of years ago by the distant ancestors of the elves -- humans are getting back at many of the same elves who were doing the human slaughtering centuries ago. Payback is a ... well, you know.

Elves are just nasty, egotistical, pointy-earred vermin. I say: wipe 'em all out and turn the forests into venison plantations.

That sounds like what the Sembians and Halruaans attitude to the elves, for they did raze and slay elves just for the right to expand their borders. Elves aren't that bad always, it just need to win their trust though they view humans with some distrust. Still, elves have a important role in shaping the world of Toril. I say the bad elves are the drow who worship Lolth, I say they should be targeted instead of the surface elves.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.

Edited by - Shadovar on 07 Jul 2005 10:18:49
Go to Top of Page

DeathRage
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  10:24:28  Show Profile  Visit DeathRage's Homepage Send DeathRage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm seriously worried about elven population on Faerun.
Long time ago they freed Faerun from the tyranny of dragons and giants and now they are getting chased out from everywhere.
There have been attacks to Evereska and Evermeet, and many elven forests are cut down by humans.
Is there a safe place for elves?
And I heard that on the attack on Evermeet the High Magic of elves was lost.
Is this true?

Considering the attitude of the elder (über-powerful!) elves towards humans, and the number of humans they've killed for such heinous offences as ... hmmm ... taking a walk in a forest, I'd say that the elves are getting what they've had coming to them for two thousand years. And given the long lifespans of elves, humans aren't just responding to something that was done thousands of years ago by the distant ancestors of the elves -- humans are getting back at many of the same elves who were doing the human slaughtering centuries ago. Payback is a ... well, you know.

Elves are just nasty, egotistical, pointy-earred vermin. I say: wipe 'em all out and turn the forests into venison plantations.

It seems to me that the elves who hate and kill humans should be the Eldreth Veluuthra, these band of elves are considered somehow anti-human. Not all elves hate humans, there are some who like humans, which resulted in a number of half-elves in the Realms.

Take the world as it is, not as it ought to be
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  10:54:13  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DeathRage

quote:

It seems to me that the elves who hate and kill humans should be the Eldreth Veluuthra, these band of elves are considered somehow anti-human. Not all elves hate humans, there are some who like humans, which resulted in a number of half-elves in the Realms.

That brings up another thing I have wondered about: with all of the half-breeds filling up D&D 3.$, where are the elf-orcs? Why assume that all elven half-breeds are half-humans? From what I recall of 1E orcs, they will attempt to breed with anything, so where are the elf-orcs? (In LOTR, I think uruk-hai are the results of crossing elves with goblins. With all of the weird stuff in the Realms, I find it difficult to believe that no crazed wizard has cross-bred elves with orcs or goblins.)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  17:28:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo KreenThat brings up another thing I have wondered about: with all of the half-breeds filling up D&D 3.$, where are the elf-orcs? Why assume that all elven half-breeds are half-humans? From what I recall of 1E orcs, they will attempt to breed with anything, so where are the elf-orcs? (In LOTR, I think uruk-hai are the results of crossing elves with goblins. With all of the weird stuff in the Realms, I find it difficult to believe that no crazed wizard has cross-bred elves with orcs or goblins.)

In the earlier editions elves and orcs couldn't breed together, thus that's why there are no elven-orcs.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  21:09:40  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I suspect that with the intense hatred between Corellon and Gruumsh, the two deity would never allow their followers to mate with one another.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  22:09:55  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

quote:

What's this all about the tree of life?

Prince Lamauril(sp?), of the elven royal family of Evermeet, was given a small tree (imagine a bonzai) upon the decline of Evermeet, this tree (the Tree of Life) was indeed the lifesource of the island. It was given to him and then told to flee Evermeet and return to Faerun. Planting the tree would spread its lifeforce into the land and make a new settlement for the elves. The tree has the power to turn the land, thus transforming an arctic terrain into lush green forests etc.

Hmm..
Can I sense some copying from LOTR(nothing bad,I don't care but that's always funny to see these)?
The tree is given to Numenor(you know better name Gondor) by Elves of tol eressea(Tolkien's Evermeet), the tree standin' on the palace's courtyard of Minas Tirith. And the retreat, yes one mentioned this before me..

And the population of elves. I was too a little worried about that.
But I know that they are not going to desintegrate elves from the ground of Abeir-Toril..
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  22:11:28  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

Nay, High Magic 'twas not lost, Narad.

Speaking of which, the Retreat has ended so many elves are coming back to Faerûn. Also, there is a new elven haven, namely Dawntree, as detailed on the WotC website, written by Ed Greenwood.

Ahh ever heard.
Could someone tell where it is or some details? I would be grateful
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  23:22:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ode904

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

Nay, High Magic 'twas not lost, Narad.

Speaking of which, the Retreat has ended so many elves are coming back to Faerûn. Also, there is a new elven haven, namely Dawntree, as detailed on the WotC website, written by Ed Greenwood.

Ahh ever heard.
Could someone tell where it is or some details? I would be grateful

Dawntree was described in a four-part Realmslore column. Here's the links:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20031224a
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20040107a
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20040114a
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20040204a

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  10:11:08  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Also, I suspect that with the intense hatred between Corellon and Gruumsh, the two deity would never allow their followers to mate with one another.

Pardon my asking, what are Correllon and Gruumsh fighting over that they hate each other so intensely? Is it over each other portfolios?

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  10:57:38  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

quote:

Pardon my asking, what are Correllon and Gruumsh fighting over that they hate each other so intensely? Is it over each other portfolios?

Lore varies and of course the last lore is canon.

However lore in general contends that the Orcs when divided the worlds were given little, that the Elves were given much more. Gruumsh sought to end this unbalance by conflict with Correllon. Current lore appears to say Correllon cut an eye from Gruumsh. It should be noted that older lore says that Gruumsh always had one eye, though supports the battle for more equal shares of the world (which Gruumsh lost).

In some ways it could be said a battle of good vs. evil. The only portfolios that I can see any contest over might be survival or territory.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 08 Jul 2005 10:59:07
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  16:56:44  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somewhat off-topic:

What was the game advertised a decade or two ago in Dragon with the headline "... And No Elves"? I do not desire to derail the thread of the scroll by discussing that game in detail. I merely seek its name.

Solved: I found the answer while glancing through an old issue:

The TALISLANTA fantasy Role playing game.
Still no elves.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 08 Jul 2005 18:18:12
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  21:25:13  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

quote:

Lore varies and of course the last lore is canon.

However lore in general contends that the Orcs when divided the worlds were given little, that the Elves were given much more. Gruumsh sought to end this unbalance by conflict with Correllon. Current lore appears to say Correllon cut an eye from Gruumsh. It should be noted that older lore says that Gruumsh always had one eye, though supports the battle for more equal shares of the world (which Gruumsh lost).

In some ways it could be said a battle of good vs. evil. The only portfolios that I can see any contest over might be survival or territory.

Gruumsh did indeed lose his eye to Corellon. This happened in Evermeet during their epic battle.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  21:30:08  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Evermeet, Grummsh was more or less duped into fighting with Corellon by Arushnee (later Lolth), and in a somewhat amusing twist, Corellon didn't exactly cut out Grummsh eye, Grummsh did (you would have to read the account).

I would assert that orcish lore likely says that Grummsh always had one eye rather than admit defeat to an elf deity. Further, many elven sources likely just say that Corellon cut out Grummsh's eye, rather than explain the whole incident.

Most modern references to Arushnee's part are likely dropped. I doubt many elven clerics regularly remind their fellow worhippers that at one time Lolth was Corellon's lover, even if it is known to them.
Go to Top of Page

doublesquirrel
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2005 :  20:45:09  Show Profile  Visit doublesquirrel's Homepage Send doublesquirrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

According to "The Complete book of Elves" page eight:

When the god Gruumsh saw the creation of the Seldarine, he regarded it as an abomination- and he became enraged. ... When the inflamed Gruumsh attacked Corellon Larethian, the leader of the Seldarine, a mighty battle began: the Godswar. How long it raged over the pristine fields of the planets, no one knows. ... As night drew near, the powers of Gruumsh stengthened, while those of Corellon waned. All seemed lost for the Seldarine. Tears from tyhe moon landed on Corellon's upturned, stricken face, and they mingled freely with his blood. Then Corellon looked to his companions- and it was there he found fortitude. He drew his sword back and, with one fearful blow, clove the orb out of Gruumsh (who became know as Gruumsh One-Eye).

Now, it is important for me to note that this lore was brought from a 2nd Edition book, and is not realms specific. It may also show some bias toward elves.

Of course, that's just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  10:01:33  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And the Retreat has ended? Why?

All of the Elves who felt compelled to withdraw to Evermeet have. Many, such as the majority of wild elves, do not acknowledge the authority of the Queen. Others feel they have more to learn in Faerûn. Also, if Evermeet is not unassailable (as has indeed proven to be the case), then reclaiming other elven lands becomes more attractive. No one is happy to think of the Drow flaunting the decree of the Seldarine by returning from exile to claim the Elven Court, of all places, in Cormanthor.

"Elves in decline" is a staple of the setting, borrowed pretty much directly from Tolkien, whose high elves are ever sailing west to the Undying Lands beyond the mortal seas. But since elves are a key fantasy race, it's not desireable to withdraw them from the scene completely. Their great age is over, but they can expect a long, long twilight.

So long as trees grow, and stars shine, and songs are sung, there will always be elves somewhere in Faerûn.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  14:48:54  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And remember, with Baker's novels, the Elves are having a bit of a renaissance in the Realms. Just like the Thunder Blessing from the dwarves, I believe the elves will be brought back to their normal rates on Faerun, which doesn't bother me. They have endured the majority of troubles (both self-created and not) and deserve to stay around a bit longer.

And if the developers do take that route to extinguish elves, I agree with the previous post - it will be a long time until we see the last of the Tel'Quess on Faerun.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.

Edited by - Crennen FaerieBane on 30 Nov 2005 14:49:45
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  17:25:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still want to know how there are any elves left after 4 or 5 major wars in the last 4 or 5 years. :)

Evermeet getting attacked in the Evermeet novel.
Evereska and Evermeet in the Archwizard novels.
Elves in the Last Mythal novels getting killed some more.

Furthermore, how can the North even make any armies...? They got killed when Obould attacked. Then in the return of Archwizards. Then even more in the Last Mythal novels.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  17:51:43  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Furthermore, how can the North even make any armies...? They got killed when Obould attacked. Then in the return of Archwizards. Then even more in the Last Mythal novels.

A little known fact about the Sword Coast North is the large usage of Elminster's Pills of Bunnylike Procreation among the more upstanding parts of its populace

Not to be confused with the similar-named Laeral's Everchanging Bunny-suit

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  18:38:31  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sry i just private message the sage by accident i meant to just post this comment

that elves wouldnt be beaten by sembia if they tried to move back.
elves are forest guardians and are lethal warriors in the woods!!
theyll kick sembias ass if tehy try to fight the elves

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  18:42:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

A little known fact about the Sword Coast North is the large usage of Elminster's Pills of Bunnylike Procreation among the more upstanding parts of its populace

HAHAH. :)

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  18:47:52  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Your comments have made me smile with mirth.

Seriously, though, would the humans (and dwarves and halflings, etc.) of Abeir-Toril really be harmed in any great way if the pointy-earred runts became extinct? On the contrary, a lot of wild game would become available to feed the hungry, wood would be available to build shelters for the poor and the homeless, etc. Moreover, the psychotic "religious" war which the Orcs and Elves have been waging for millennia would become moot and the Orcs would finally be able to settle down as hearty yeoman farmers, as they have in post-Tuigan Thesk and up around the Moonsea. Elves aren't exactly noted for forming farming communities of doughty and redoubtable citizens, but the Orcs have shown themselves capable of this once freed from the yoke of Elven oppression. All-in-all, the disappearance of the pointy-eared runts would be (as Martha says), "A good thing."

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  20:12:19  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Your comments have made me smile with mirth.

Seriously, though, would the humans (and dwarves and halflings, etc.) of Abeir-Toril really be harmed in any great way if the pointy-earred runts became extinct? On the contrary, a lot of wild game would become available to feed the hungry, wood would be available to build shelters for the poor and the homeless, etc. Moreover, the psychotic "religious" war which the Orcs and Elves have been waging for millennia would become moot and the Orcs would finally be able to settle down as hearty yeoman farmers, as they have in post-Tuigan Thesk and up around the Moonsea. Elves aren't exactly noted for forming farming communities of doughty and redoubtable citizens, but the Orcs have shown themselves capable of this once freed from the yoke of Elven oppression. All-in-all, the disappearance of the pointy-eared runts would be (as Martha says), "A good thing."

Well, let's see - guess if they elves disappeared we'd see a lot of series completely disappear - WotSQ, Elaine's books, all of RAS's books. Yeah, that's a smart statement.

Oh wait, who taught magic to the humans of Netheril? Oh yeah, the pointy-eared runts. And dwarves and their psychotic war with the goblins... yeah...

Oh wait, and Orcs who kill and main and are objectively evil, yes, once again, a very intelligent comment. Obould, I'm sure, will keep them in line.

Oh wait, Myth Drannor - yeah, dumb idea, no idea how to create a real settlement. And I guess elves can't farm, since they existed and prospered long before humans came around.

What a racist statement, Kreen.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  23:26:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's keep it civil, folks.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  18:22:45  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Well, let's see - guess if they elves disappeared we'd see a lot of series completely disappear - WotSQ, Elaine's books, all of RAS's books. Yeah, that's a smart statement.

C-Fb

They shall be history books, not current events.

Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  12:30:36  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bet Jamallo Kreen is from Sembia to talk like that of elves.

Bocklin

Edited by - Bocklin on 29 Dec 2005 12:31:06
Go to Top of Page

Just
Acolyte

Portugal
32 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  20:26:22  Show Profile  Visit Just's Homepage Send Just a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys no point on such an argue! Jamallo doesn't like Elves So be it, he seems like the only one anyway. We must'nt all bee "Good" natured some of us are more chaotic others more neutral(like me!!!) etc...

To my knowledge the Elves will not end... for several logical reasons...(pardon my Arrogancy!! Ahemm...)

1st- They are one of the base races of the players Handbook, and being on the winning team that made the fame of Wotc books... they would of have simply to undo to many stuff!

2nd- There are too many Elf lovers out there, so it would make no sense to extinct this race, and even if they did have stamina to do such a thing, it would never come to fruiton, because(Ill explain on the last reason)...!

3rd- Even if in history of faerun the elfs were extinct, I'm already seeing million of players wordwide, gathering together to save the elves. I'm already imagining the Chosen all around Toril making time travel, or opening great planar portals to other worlds to fetch entire population of elves from other gaming worlds(if necessary!). Just imagine the gaming opportunities this brings, just thinking it mak'e me drool!!

These are just a few reasons, I bet that if you think about it you will come about with a few more...

Me personally, am seeing the future of the Elves in one of the great deserts of Toril. The elves will become aware of their arrogance, of how mighty they were and how they are becoming a legend. I'm seeing the Phaerimm coming up with a spell that will cancel the levitation of the shades flying city they will come tumbling down only surviving the most powerfull shades themselves, and then the last survivors of Netheril, will make the ruin of the Phaerimm themselves with their last breaths! Then the elves will plant the tree of life on the desert and the most massive of Forests in Toril will grow to it's full extent!

The idea of the elves colonizing a new land doesn't beckon good to me. Specially because I have in my memory the case of the Luskans the borded with an army only to awaken the stinger to fact that there is more of faerun to live in! They brought they're entire city with only he aid of their clerics below Luskan... Think on that!!

Well this is my Opinion. Just the Qindahearted

Brainstorming Paladin under the shadow of a rock shaped Abyss General
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  20:49:13  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could also be commented on that one of the Chosen is an Elf, perhaps more as I seem to recall that not all Chosen have been listed.

A 4th Edition could remove elves however that is unlikely from an economic consideration by WotC, they are a stable of fantasy. If one goes by brith rates and adults kills it might appear logical that in a few thousand years all but the Drow might indeed disapear from holding nations, but total distrusction becomes unlikely. Communities will exist that will engender children of the next generation. The stay at homes will continue to generate the adventuers that go out to die in a posible a more hostile world.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Just
Acolyte

Portugal
32 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  21:04:49  Show Profile  Visit Just's Homepage Send Just a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Friends, sorry about the total annihilation of three different races theory.
I guess I read the previous posts and got over excited about the end of the elves.

Anyway I agree with Kentinal. There are always survivors. And in a so populated world as Faerun, I realize it would be hard to see a race to extinct. Unless the Drow actually come with a way to enter the reverie and slay all the Elves! Men another nasty Idea... or perhaps the opposite will happen... I guess Im just unhappy with all the powerfull characters that exist in faerun. It seems like a level 1 guy simply can't bend the corner without bumping into some over powerfull spellcaster and being manipulated by it. Sorry guys the Qindahearted is just in a bad mood today!!!

Brainstorming Paladin under the shadow of a rock shaped Abyss General
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  21:22:23  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Concerning Drow and reverie there was an answe by Ed Greenwood concerning this as well. Alas candlekeep search not working well right now. A few spiders crawing over the links. Any based on what I recall the question was more about if Drow Elves were still part of the Weave even if denied access to High Elven Magic. The answer was yes because Drow like other elves can use reverie, this apparently an indication of being part of the Weave.

For a piece of it, posted Nov. 5, 2004

" As Elaine Cunningham said, elsewhere here at Candlekeep: "I postulated that natural adaption would result in other solutions, but also assumed that their elven natures, including the ability to enter reverie, were fragmented by their environment. So I left the issue unresolved, describing various drow in different situations. Some drow slept, some entered a form of Reverie, and some, such as Gromph, could not sleep at all. (It also occurred to me that the drow would likely have developed some sort of brief but deeply restorative meditation -- a very useful skill for warriors, priestesses and wizards who, for whatever reason, cannot afford to take their eyes off their enemies for long.)... there are references in the earlier lore to support these possible options: dreamless sleep, sleep with a dream phase, elven reverie.""

So you might need to fear the Drow, which by the way are still elves of a kind. *wink* and some Drow do not seek to kill their kin as well.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  22:38:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a side note, someone had said that they don't see Gruumsh and Corellon being happy about Orcs and Elves having sex. Well, as horrible as this sounds, rape is sex... its also brutally violent... and I don't see Gruumsh getting pissy about his orc soldiers brutalizing elves in this manner. Of course, 1st edition rules may say that elves and orcs can't breed... but if humans and elves can breed... and humans and orcs can breed.... I wouldn't limit the possibility. Of course, they may come out like mules and not be able to continue the line... or it could be that humans are just some radically magical beast that can cross-breed with anything whereas other races can't.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000