Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Elven extinction?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  11:40:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we can safely say that Mr. Greenwood has a definitive defense for sometimes missing what is right in front of him. Let us consider the amount time and energy he puts into creating Realmslore, and many other curious FR facts, and leave it at that shall we...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Narad Bladesinger
Learned Scribe

Finland
170 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  12:15:15  Show Profile  Visit Narad Bladesinger's Homepage Send Narad Bladesinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rad and others for clearing that one up. I've heard something about Lamruil, but all that I heard was that he is somewhere on the continent of Faerun (ooh! Could that be? )
I think we'll just have to wait. But gotta wonder where it'll turn up. Icewind Dale would be a good place bacause then Drizzt could save it with his new feats!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  16:36:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
Thanks for the corrections Shadowlord, I surprised that nobody corrected me previously, even Ed, when I kept harping on about the Tree of Life, instead of Souls!

Cut yourself some slack. The poor tree has been so neglected since the end of Elaine Cunningham's novel, I'm impressed you just got most of the words right.

Now, if in Richard Baker's upcoming novel, he makes a reference to it and calls it the Tree of Life, than you are in trouble for corrupting an author.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  16:38:37  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Narad Bladesinger
I think we'll just have to wait. But gotta wonder where it'll turn up. Icewind Dale would be a good place bacause then Drizzt could save it with his new feats!

Yep, they probably are writing one up right now for him

Save New Elven Nation

You are such a cool force of power that you can save a new Elven nation never before seen in FR lore with just one journal entry.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  16:47:43  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

Rad, a minor edit, if you will. 'Tis called the "Tree of Souls." Refer to page 487 of Evermeet: Island of Elves, paperback edition. The Tree of Life came from Baldur's Gate II. And the name is "Prince Lamruil." Also refer to Evermeet: Island of Elves, same page.

Ack, maybe i need to buy a second copy of the Elven Bible to keep at work

Thanks for the corrections Shadowlord, I'm surprised that nobody corrected me previously, even Ed, when I kept harping on about the Tree of Life, instead of Souls!

Aye, 'tis no trouble at all, Rad. I'm just keeping the facts straight.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  01:24:37  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is form the Realms-L where when I asked Rich Baker on what the Last Mythal would concentrate around regarding content wise.

quote:

"The Last Mythal tells the story of a sun elf wizard, Araevin Teshurr, as he confronts the plots of the daemonfey--Sarya Dlardrageth and her fey'ri. Sarya dreams of refounding the realm of Siluvanede in the Delimbiyr Vale, and exacting a very long overdue vengeance against the wood elves of the High Forest and the elves of Evereska. Worse yet, she's got her hands on the Gatekeeper's Crystal, a weapon that she can use to cause all sorts of trouble. To counter the daemonfey threat, Araevin investigates an ancient mystery embedded in a set of telkiira stones and finds himself in a race to find the loregems before the daemonfey do. Meanwhile, Evermeet struggles to send aid to Evereska and the wood elves, divided by a contentious debate as to the wisdom of fighting in Faerun so soon after sustaining terrible losses in Kymil Nimesin's attack on Evermeet and their expedition to aid Evereska against the phaerimm.

Old mysteries, High Magic, renegade mythals, ancient villains, epic battles--The Forsaken House has it all, and it's only the first book in the series. I'm pretty proud of it.Sort of. You don't see how exactly she gets the first 2/3rds--there's just a reference about where she found 'em. You do see her get the last 1/3rd.

Richard Baker
Senior Designer
Roleplaying R&D
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  09:04:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::droooooooool::

This is even greater than id expected!! I knew it would be a good book due to the author, but it sure sounds like its gonna be fantastic!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Narad Bladesinger
Learned Scribe

Finland
170 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  16:52:37  Show Profile  Visit Narad Bladesinger's Homepage Send Narad Bladesinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! Now that goes straight to the must-have category
---Ching---
And there it goes.

Pretty much stuff in one book! More --> Better, right?

Edited by - Narad Bladesinger on 26 Mar 2004 16:55:23
Go to Top of Page

Mage Jastra Eveningfall
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  02:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Mage Jastra Eveningfall's Homepage Send Mage Jastra Eveningfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two things:

One: High Magic remains on Evermeet and ALWAYS will. A piece of Arvandor, created by the greatest working of magic in Toril's history, blessesd by the Seldarine, is NOT going to lose the High Art. (Though the deaths of most of the High Magi could cramp the practice, Evermeet still will be a site for High Magic rituals). The Tree of Souls is merely a second chance for the Tel'Quessir. (So says Corellon).

Two: What are Star Elves?

Mage Jastra Eveningfall
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  02:32:11  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mage Jastra Eveningfall

Star Elves are a new elven subrace that first appeared in Unapproachable East. Additionally, Elaine Cunningham's most recent FR novel contained a Star Elf character.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  15:23:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mage Jastra Eveningfall

I and several other scribes have discussed the Star Elves, and their addition to the Realms, here at Candlekeep.

Please take the time to read this scroll - http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1061

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mage Jastra Eveningfall
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  23:24:20  Show Profile  Visit Mage Jastra Eveningfall's Homepage Send Mage Jastra Eveningfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for clarifying that.

Mage Jastra Eveningfall
Go to Top of Page

Yoshimo
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  00:15:37  Show Profile  Visit Yoshimo's Homepage Send Yoshimo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a rabid fan of all elves, yet I have never heard of star elves. What other elves are there besides star elves, sun elves, drow elves, wood elves, and common elves? Are there any more?

May the light of Selune light your path and Olidammara guide your footsteps ~Shadow Thief Motto
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  00:17:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yoshimo

I am a rabid fan of all elves, yet I have never heard of star elves. What other elves are there besides star elves, sun elves, drow elves, wood elves, and common elves? Are there any more?

Common elves? Do you mean moon elves?

Star elves are a new development. Do a search for the phrase and you'll find a couple of threads discussing them and their light bulbs.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  00:54:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ghost elves, they were written up in a Dragon a few issues back......

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  01:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

Ghost elves, they were written up in a Dragon a few issues back......

And what long-forgotten nook of the Realms did they crawl out of?
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  01:41:58  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
Do a search for the phrase and you'll find a couple of threads discussing them and their light bulbs.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  02:24:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Guess I should have clarified that, they are not FR specific but he didn't really say it had to be FR specific elves. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  03:22:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

When Star Elves shine their light bulbs in the dead of night, voila, Selune reveals Ghost elves around us all along with handfuls of Prestige Classes for the nearest Realms fans.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 06 Jun 2004 03:23:43
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  03:51:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You forgot the sea elves...

And it's not specifically set in the Realms, but in the Night Below boxed set (I think it was that one), there was another race of elves called the Rockseer elves. As I recall, they fled underground rather than get involved in the war betwixt the drow and the elves, and have been hiding out down there ever since. I further seem to recall them having some nifty rock-based powers...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  04:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

When Star Elves shine their light bulbs in the dead of night, voila, Selune reveals Ghost elves around us all along with handfuls of Prestige Classes for the nearest Realms fans.

Handfuls? I'd say bucketfuls, to say nothing of the feats...
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  05:29:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I shudder to ponder what ideas WOTC might have for new elven subraces when the Year of Risen Elfkin rolls around.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  05:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I shudder to ponder what ideas WOTC might have for new elven subraces when the Year of Risen Elfkin rolls around.

Perhaps they'll be getting their ideas here...
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  05:54:05  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm, more new subraces making so many FR elven possibilities that it's almost like you are flipping through a deck of cards when creating an elven character. Nah, they'd never do that.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  06:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hmmm, more new subraces making so many FR elven possibilities that it's almost like you are flipping through a deck of cards when creating an elven character. Nah, they'd never do that.

I was actually referring to the Risen-Dead connection, but that works just as well...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  06:57:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least they've not decided to somehow import particular elven races from other worlds...

WotC: "Oh, yeah, Athasian elves have ALWAYS lived in the Anauroch Desert, it's just that no one knew about it. Ditto for the Dimernesti and Dargonesti elves in the Sea of Fallen Stars."

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  16:36:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

At least they've not decided to somehow import particular elven races from other worlds...

WotC: "Oh, yeah, Athasian elves have ALWAYS lived in the Anauroch Desert, it's just that no one knew about it. Ditto for the Dimernesti and Dargonesti elves in the Sea of Fallen Stars."

Of course, have they done a 3.5e sourcebook yet for the Anauroch or Sea of Fallen Stars?

No? Well, then, give them time.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  16:37:57  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I was actually referring to the Risen-Dead connection, but that works just as well...

Sorry, Mongo slow at times.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  16:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I can see it now... "Ghost Elf Avenger!"
Complete with Drizzt's Scimitar Shock and Awe Feats!
And new FR Ghost Elf Subrace Spell-like Abilities!

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  09:10:12  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Narad Bladesinger

I'm seriously worried about elven population on Faerun.
Long time ago they freed Faerun from the tyranny of dragons and giants and now they are getting chased out from everywhere.
There have been attacks to Evereska and Evermeet, and many elven forests are cut down by humans.
Is there a safe place for elves?
And I heard that on the attack on Evermeet the High Magic of elves was lost.
Is this true?

Considering the attitude of the elder (über-powerful!) elves towards humans, and the number of humans they've killed for such heinous offences as ... hmmm ... taking a walk in a forest, I'd say that the elves are getting what they've had coming to them for two thousand years. And given the long lifespans of elves, humans aren't just responding to something that was done thousands of years ago by the distant ancestors of the elves -- humans are getting back at many of the same elves who were doing the human slaughtering centuries ago. Payback is a ... well, you know.

Elves are just nasty, egotistical, pointy-earred vermin. I say: wipe 'em all out and turn the forests into venison plantations.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000