Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The New Forgotten Realms Map (5e)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2015 :  20:06:48  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has everyone seen this? It was up recently on the WotC boards for the Realms. Supposedly this is a "player's map" for the post-Sundering Northern Realms.

http://community.wizards.com/sites/mtgcommunity/files/5E%20Map_1.pdf

I think its possible to assume from this the Aberian lands have been transported back and most of the geography changes have been rolled back. (Half of Aglarond isn't underwater, for example.)

Jesus said, "I am the Ressurection and the Life. Anyone who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and those who live and believe in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1269 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2015 :  20:27:42  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep. That map was in the latest issue of Dragon+ for Android / iPad.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2015 :  20:36:43  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've heard people mention how the 3E maps moved some things around if I'm not mistaken. Since I'm currently caring for my little daughter, could someone please let me know if the map is more as it was in 1E, 2E, 3E, or 4E? I would greatly appreciate any information on the matter. I'm hoping for more of the 1E/2E placement since I came to the Realms during that time in 1999.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36789 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2015 :  20:52:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a vague, plain map with next to no markings at all -- certainly no cities or countries.

It's rather disappointing to me, actually.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2015 :  20:54:10  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

I've heard people mention how the 3E maps moved some things around if I'm not mistaken. Since I'm currently caring for my little daughter, could someone please let me know if the map is more as it was in 1E, 2E, 3E, or 4E? I would greatly appreciate any information on the matter. I'm hoping for more of the 1E/2E placement since I came to the Realms during that time in 1999.

I've been comparing the maps all day and it looks a lot more like the 1e/2e map. Of note is the Great Glacier, which is much further south in the 1e/2e/5e map than it is in the 3e map.

Jesus said, "I am the Ressurection and the Life. Anyone who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and those who live and believe in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2015 :  20:58:10  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's a vague, plain map with next to no markings at all -- certainly no cities or countries.

It's certainly not what I hope comes out as the final DM map for sure, but it answers a lot of questions for me regarding the Sundering process and what got changed. It also confirms the long standing rumor that the 5e map would more or less be like the 1e map. A very real attempt seems to be made to reach all the way back and effectively start over again. Even Shadovar was wiped out and the Anauroch was reset.

I expect much more to come, but this has me helped in a lot of ways.

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2015 :  20:59:22  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I understand and agree. Perhaps this is sort of a teaser map, or just the map they reference in the article that characters in the world might have access to? I'm just excited to see a 5E sourcebook coming out. I'll also be letting wizards know that something along the lines of the old Volo's Guides would be great to have for DMs and players alike. I believe Ed even mentioned mentioning that to Wizards in the previous issue of Dragon+. I'm always happy to oblige!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2015 :  21:00:43  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baptor

quote:

I've been comparing the maps all day and it looks a lot more like the 1e/2e map. Of note is the Great Glacier, which is much further south in the 1e/2e/5e map than it is in the 3e map.

Ah, thank you for letting me know! I'm glad to hear that it's more in line with my favorite editions maps!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2015 :  21:20:39  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I understand and agree. Perhaps this is sort of a teaser map, or just the map they reference in the article that characters in the world might have access to? I'm just excited to see a 5E sourcebook coming out. I'll also be letting wizards know that something along the lines of the old Volo's Guides would be great to have for DMs and players alike. I believe Ed even mentioned mentioning that to Wizards in the previous issue of Dragon+. I'm always happy to oblige!

From what I understand, this is a "player's map," i.e. a map the DM can give out with no spoilers to the players. There should be a more detailed map in the Sword Coast Adventures book coming out. There already IS an updated map of part of the Sword Coast from one of the recent APs. You can find that one here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Gcc73nxY24M/U9dk9phbk6I/AAAAAAAACCE/ebivcvCU0M0/s1600/Map+-+Sword+Coast+x_Page_1_Image_0001.jpg

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1269 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2015 :  21:51:43  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

From what I understand, this is a "player's map," i.e. a map the DM can give out with no spoilers to the players. There should be a more detailed map in the Sword Coast Adventures book coming out. There already IS an updated map of part of the Sword Coast from one of the recent APs. You can find that one here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Gcc73nxY24M/U9dk9phbk6I/AAAAAAAACCE/ebivcvCU0M0/s1600/Map+-+Sword+Coast+x_Page_1_Image_0001.jpg

The article the map in the op was in referred to it as an overview map. The article also stated that there would be more detailed maps of specific regions.
The player's map part comes from a general statement about the maps (plural) artistic style being something more along the lines of what a character / adventurer would be carrying or would pick up in a shop.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36789 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2015 :  22:27:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

That is a much nicer map. Not as good as that big one I grabbed from somewhere back during the 3E era, but certainly better than the first linked one.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2015 :  23:10:16  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although, from the area of the map, it does appear that the [cough]unholy abomination of the[/cough] Underchasm is no longer present.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36789 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2015 :  23:26:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Although, from the area of the map, it does appear that the [cough]unholy abomination of the[/cough] Underchasm is no longer present.

And there's anything wrong with that?

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1847 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  01:18:43  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate it. I expect more from WotC. Give me a Mike Schley map please.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  19:10:50  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That is a much nicer map. Not as good as that big one I grabbed from somewhere back during the 3E era, but certainly better than the first linked one.

Oh, I agree. I've actually had this one for my tablet wallpaper for quite a while now. Paired with the Google Now launcher, it makes for a wonderful map!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 19 Aug 2015 12:16:15
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36789 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  20:12:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

oh, I agree. I've actually had this one for my tablet wallpaper for quite a while now. Paired with the Google Now launcher, it makes for a wonderful map!

I've stuck with one wallpaper on my tablet, since I first got it. A big, red, cartoony "Don't Panic". It seemed appropriate.

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  21:36:05  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

oh, I agree. I've actually had this one for my tablet wallpaper for quite a while now. Paired with the Google Now launcher, it makes for a wonderful map!

I've stuck with one wallpaper on my tablet, since I first got it. A big, red, cartoony "Don't Panic". It seemed appropriate.

Very nice! I'm hoping that I don't switch to the same sort of wallpaper after I see the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide!

All kidding aside, I am, for the first time in quite a while, excited about the Realms (the canon Realms that is published as I've always been a fan of what I have developed with my players over the years). I still favor playing in the 1300s, but my fiancée's oldest daughter doesn't like all the history that my players and her mom have done. She hates cameos of characters and favors the time jump. I understand, and only run my normal timeline with my other players. That way, everyone wins.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1622 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  01:59:39  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I noticed from the Sword Coast map Najara, the Kingdom of Lizardmen and Nagas, from 4e still exists, so it hasn't changed everything.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1622 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  02:01:43  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Overview map has so few details is because they're not done designing the 5e realms yet.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1269 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  03:03:27  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I think the Overview map has so few details is because they're not done designing the 5e realms yet.

Possibly. It just depends on how much of an overview of the rest of the Realms and the Sundering they give us in the upcoming Guide Book.

On that note, did anyone notice that the artist that did the overview map and the Sword Coast map are one and the same? They're both signed Blando, indicating Jared Blando did both.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
238 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  10:34:50  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I was gonna say the same. And also notice the Vilhon Reach is back. Thankful for that :)
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  16:27:49  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first map, because of its broad strokes approach and downplay of 4E alterations, could pass for a map from the 3E era. Likewise the second, aside from a few oddities. They both look like the maps one would find on the end papers of game books, or the latter might be something I expect from the upcoming Sword Coast Legends game as their overland map.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000