Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Stats for Dark elves NOT Drow?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  04:34:08  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Did WOTC ever make stats for the Dark Elves (ie those Ellistrae worshiping drow who were converted back to their pre cursed stat at the end of the WOSQ/Lady Pentient series?

Do they still exist?

I assume no Drow where converted to dark elves during the Spellplague era as Ellistrae was dead and you had to be Drow and a follower of hers to get curse revoked. But now 5ed is here and Ellistrae is back are drow who worship Ellistrae convertt to Dark elves?

Where do the Dark elves who converted while Ellistrae was still alive Pre-Spellplague live now? (The logical place would be Rhymanthiin I guess)

What 5ed stats would a Dark elf have as an elven sub race?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  04:37:33  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely nothing was said about them in canon. In 5e, I think that their would be like wood elves, stats-wise.

I guess that drow who now convert to Eilistraee will remain drow, as you would need that ritual that Q'arlynd performed to transform them. Unless WotC decides to make Eilistraee a dark elven goddess and have any drow who converts to her become dark elf (which would be possible, as we don't know if Eilistraee is a drow or dark elf yet, just that she is alive...).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 11 Aug 2015 04:45:13
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1269 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  04:46:24  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I were doing anything with it for a home game, I'd probably just make them High Elves in 5e. Moon and Sun Elves both fold into that category, and I haven't heard enough about the Dark Elves to make me think they need to be statistically different like Wood Elves are.
Of course, I could be mistaken.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  05:13:19  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Absolutely nothing was said about them in canon. In 5e, I think that their would be like wood elves, stats-wise.

I guess that drow who now convert to Eilistraee will remain drow, as you would need that ritual that Q'arlynd performed to transform them. Unless WotC decides to make Eilistraee a dark elven goddess and have any drow who converts to her become dark elf (which would be possible, as we don't know if Eilistraee is a drow or dark elf yet, just that she is alive...).

I always got the impression that the Dark elves where more Arcane focus which would probably make them closer to the Sun elves (High elf) stat wise then the more martial Wild elf based stats

Also would the racial stats be different between a naturally born Dark elf and one who was born a drow and was decursed.

Maybe a blend between High elf and Drow racial stats

Something like this maybe

Reborn Dark elf

Ability score increase: Your Charisma increases by 1

Cantrip: You know one cantrip of your choice from Sorcerors spell list. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for it.

Dark elf Weapon training: You may choose proficiency in 3 of the following weapons. Longsword, shortsword,Shortbow, Longbow, Rapier and Hand crossbow.

There could also be a new Sorcerous Bloodline based around dark elves

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  05:46:14  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pre-decent dark elves were statistically no different than other green elves. Redeemed drow were restored to their green elf form. Those that survived the subsequent purge fled to Rhymanthiin. Ellistraee endured during the Spellplague era as a non-divine archfey and continued to redeem any drow that survived a pilgrimage to her court in the feydark.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  06:03:55  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Pre-decent dark elves were statistically no different than other green elves. Redeemed drow were restored to their green elf form. Those that survived the subsequent purge fled to Rhymanthiin. Ellistraee endured during the Spellplague era as a non-divine archfey and continued to redeem any drow that survived a pilgrimage to her court in the feydark.

Wheres that from?

The entry on pages 55-56 of Lost Empires of Faerun seems to imply that Dark elves are a completely seperate sub race to wood elves in fact where they the same sub race all the Wild elves would have been turned into drow.

"Although the conclave had intended to punish only the Ilythiiri, the ritual altered all the dark elves of Faerun.."

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  08:13:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
he said statistically... mean the + str such stuff.

that also said, for them to be separate all they would have to be is having a different skin tone and hair color.

thus the images of the dark elves from earlier modules, that have them with dusky brown skin and I forget what hair color they had. don't even remember what product it was attached to for that matter. one of the other scribes would have to point you to it

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  08:21:48  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
also, that would have been pre crown war era stats as the wild elves turned away from wizardry types

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  11:22:55  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Should they really get a score increase to Charisma? I don't know much about the gaming side of things, but I thought that Drow already had a bonus to Charisma (at least in 3E).

Sure, a dark elf might be treated better simply for not being Drow, but on the other hand, the reputation of Drow can also afford them better treatment through fear.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  13:12:20  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I always got the impression that the Dark elves where more Arcane focus which would probably make them closer to the Sun elves (High elf) stat wise then the more martial Wild elf based stats

You may have a point. After all, AFAIK, Miyeritar was known as one of the greatest elven kingdoms, when it came to magic, to the point of rivaling Aryvandaar.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  13:37:52  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormanthyr states that "the original dark elves from before the Crown Wars were merely dusky elves with pale hair, the drow of the Underdark have, over the millennia of exile, darkened to obsidian…" If you were going to revert them to a pre-Crown Wars visage, that's what they ought to look like.

Cormanthyr doesn't give them any special stat change from the standard +1 Dex, -1 Con, but does give green elves (aka wood and wild; I always thought that was a really stupid thing of 3e to split the two) a different option. So I'd just give the transformed drow whatever your preferred edition's standard elven stat mod.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  14:05:22  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

quote:

Should they really get a score increase to Charisma? I don't know much about the gaming side of things, but I thought that Drow already had a bonus to Charisma (at least in 3E).

Sure, a dark elf might be treated better simply for not being Drow, but on the other hand, the reputation of Drow can also afford them better treatment through fear.

I get the impression from the Crown wars and those few chapters of ECs Evermeet novel thatdeal with Dark elves that they leaned towards Arcane stuff (as opposed to the More Ranger/Druid way Wood elves seem to be) after all they where throwing around nasty high magics during the crown wars and the bad dark elf leader who the elven refugees meet in Evermeet novel was heavily into altering things with magic.

Now if Id gone with Wizardry as there favored class it would have given them stats very similar to Sun elves, so I choose wiz for a few reasons

1) If I couldnt do Wizard then I could make them Sorceror focus therefore a Cha bonus.

2) Because Drow had a Cha bonus but did they get the Cha bonus before or after theyu where cursed?

After all the drow stats was thrust upon the Dark elves by the other elves as a curse, why would they include as part of that curse something that makes them better?

So if we where to disect the 5ed Drow stats

The Sunlight sensitivity is the main part of the elven curse they wanted to seperate the Dark elves from the other elves and seeing as how no elves live underground the easiest way was to keep them away was to drive them underground.

The other part of the curse is the physical changes to the dark elves, giving them black skin and white hair marks them by sight as not being "proper elves"

Superior Darkvision: This is biological adaption to their new enviroment living underground without access to sunlight forced them to change and in the early days of the descent drow who couldnt see well in the dark probably died either through misadventure or by being eatten by other underdark creatures.

Drow weapon training this just using the weapons that they had either through technological develeopment or they may have favored those weapons when they where still living on the surface and just kept using them once they descended into the underdark.

There are 2 things from drow stat I believe show a prevalnts for sorcery the Cha bonus they get and the Drow magic ability inate magical abilities which work very simlarly to Sorcerors abilities.

Also you will note that the High mages who cursed the Dark elves werent able to remove the Dex bonus that all elves get so if they werent able to alter the Dark elves physiology for the entire race then they wouldnt have been able to alter the sub race trait either.

Now if they truely had the power to totally reinvent a despised part of their race why would they have left with elven traits and a basic eleven appearence. If they truely wanted to seperate the Dark elves they would have turned them into Black skin white haired Orc like creatures that had sunlight sensitivity and left them without any elven features.

But the fact is that they couldnt even control the spell and instead of only affecting a limited number of Dark elves in a certain geographical area they ended up cursing all dark elves regardless of where they lived or even if they where good or evil.

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2420 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2015 :  10:22:06  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Did WOTC ever make stats for the Dark Elves (ie those Ellistrae worshiping drow who were converted back to their pre cursed stat at the end of the WOSQ/Lady Pentient series?

For the dark elves, the last lore said plainly, AFAIK, is:
This ritual can even restore a drow to status among the Tel'Quessir, though the ritual erases all powers (but not appearance) of the drow (judge as a moon elf).
- C:EoE

For contrived attempts to make sense of LP, there's a whole thread: "Was Kiaransalee's name erased from the tablets".

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2015 :  11:26:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

For contrived attempts to make sense of LP, there's a whole thread: "Was Kiaransalee's name erased from the tablets".

Hmm maybe well get some 5ed Dark elf stats in Sword coast adeventures comes out in November aparently alot of the Dark elves now live in that new elven city in the High moor

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  15:24:18  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly it looks like a concerted (non?) effort by the publishing house to pretend that series never happened.

To be fair, that series was so misguided in the first instance, I'm surprised anyone even greenlit the project.

Edited by - Veritas on 19 Aug 2015 15:25:16
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3805 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  15:51:03  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they used the archfey solution, or anything that made it so that Eilistraee didn't basically all of sudden give up all her goals and ideals just to do something that has nothing to do with her, it would improve the situation.

Otherwise, I'm just glad that at least Eilistraee and Vhaeraun are alive.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000