Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 in-book quotations by Ed Greenwood
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robert
Acolyte

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2015 :  06:59:01  Show Profile Send Robert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi! Long-time lurker here....
In virtually all Ed Greenwood novels & short story collections, as well as some game material books, Ed Greenwood includes quotations at the beginning of chapters from various Realms sources. Usually, these are quotes from Faerunian plays, books, or songs. I was wondering if anybody has ever compiled a Master List of all the quotes. I would like to build up a library or catalogue of plays, books & songs for my players to choose from, as well as to hear when they, for instance, enter a tavern where a bard is performing or to peruse when they enter a library.

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2015 :  07:28:10  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good idea. Unfortunately, I don't think it's been done before. I can't remember ever seeing such a compilation, at least.

Maybe we CK'ers can put one together? Everyone take one or two books and transcribe the chapter quotations, and post them here?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2015 :  14:23:20  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a couple tomes here at Candlekeep that fit what you're speaking of.
This one by George Krashos, and this by Sage.

Edit: here's more: Songs , and Plays.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 16 Aug 2015 14:40:31
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2015 :  14:46:33  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think most of them must be compiled in the Book List for Tomes in Candlekeep, and The Sage was reuniting material to make the list even more complete...

EDIT: Delwa was faster than me here...

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 16 Aug 2015 14:47:42
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2015 :  14:55:04  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

I think most of them must be compiled in the Book List for Tomes in Candlekeep, and The Sage was reuniting material to make the list even more complete...

EDIT: Delwa was faster than me here...

But you made it look prettier.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2015 :  15:30:56  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn, now I really wanna see what "Windbag of Waterdeep", "The Elf Queen's Peculiar Pleasure", "Lord Alurmal's Double-Edged Revenge" and "The Fitting End of the Human King Halthor" are all about.
I think the latter one was the opening sequence for Elminster in Myth Drannor but I'm not surtain.
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2015 :  00:21:29  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeorey

Damn, now I really wanna see what "Windbag of Waterdeep", "The Elf Queen's Peculiar Pleasure", "Lord Alurmal's Double-Edged Revenge" and "The Fitting End of the Human King Halthor" are all about.
I think the latter one was the opening sequence for Elminster in Myth Drannor but I'm not surtain.

It sure was the opening for Elminster in Myth Drannor.
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2015 :  00:38:36  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeorey

The bolded one is mentioned in Silverfall:
(Laeral talking to Qilue):
quote:
"...a fat, hairy male actor made up to look like a half-orc plays the Elf Queen, and...er...'her' peculiar pleasure is to steal and devour sweets from Waterdhavian noble matrons...all of whom are portrayed by heavily stubbled male actors interested in the very coarsest form of heavy handed, simpering, `ooh and ah` clowning. The title may suggest illicit, steamy matters, but the play delivers the oldest groaning jests with a leering enthusiasm."

Sounds like a hoot!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000